BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 08:00 PM   #1
chad5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: sprint
Default Sprint 8703e Who's got one as of today 10-2?

Please Login to Remove!

I've called high and low. sprint stores do not have 8703e stock yet. And no one seems to be able to tell me when they might get some.

Anybody actually bought one from a retail store yet? If so where? Anybody in the Los Angeles area got some info on an actual store that might have one in stock?

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2006, 08:10 PM   #2
seaneboyee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
PIN: 30159745
Carrier: Sprint

It may take a while before the stores get them but I placed my order yesterday over the phone and the customer service lines were super busy since I couldn't place my order online. For some reason, their systems doesn't like my street number since it has a letter after it. Oh well, I should be getting mines by the end of the week. I switched over from Verizon since we don't have EV-DO through them although it's been offered by Sprint since late last year. Good luck!

Sprint BlackBerry 8703e
Old 10-02-2006, 08:58 PM   #3
bit_bucket

Model: 7250

I have one. I live in Indianapolis, and called high and low, and found one Sprint store in Dayton Ohio that had one. I made the 1.5 hour trek there and they had it, but only one of them. I had one hell of a time getting it activated, but finally did this evening. Right now, I have downloaded the telenav software from the on device browser and am trying to get Sprint to activate my telenav accout, as telenav says that Sprint must do it. It's like nobody at Sprint knows about this phone. Otherwise, I am going to write a review tonight and post it here about what I think. But lets just say this thing looks GREAT! The screen is brilliant. I traded the 700wx for this, and I am not looking back!!
Old 10-02-2006, 09:05 PM   #4
nicu2001
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830

I was having trouble ordering one online so I called a few local stores and the second one I called had gotten only two. When I got to the store I had to wait a little while because they hadn't even added them to inventory. Activation was very easy and the phone is great.

I am having two problems though:

1. Even though I can download the Telenav GPS software and run it on the 8703e, neither Telenav or Sprint can activate it for me, telling me the model is not supported despite having software available from the sprint website. They are clueless at both Sprint Blackberry / Sprint Customer Care / Telenav Support

2. I can't tether.. The Sprint Connection Manager does nothing and does not recognize the phone as connected.. I have tried three different versions of the BlackBerry Desktop Software and the connection manager still does not recognize the phone :(

Anyone here have any solutions to these two issues? Other than that the phone is excellent.

Also: Anyone in NYC who is looking for one.. I got mine in Jersey City at the store near the Journal Square path -- they had not yet sold the other one when I left today

Last edited by nicu2001; 10-02-2006 at 09:07 PM..
Old 10-02-2006, 09:39 PM   #5
hackorsack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700

I am having similar issues trying to get a subscription to Telenav. When I call Telenav, they tell me to call Sprint. When I call into Sprint BB support, they tell me to call telenav. I'd like to setup billing to go through Sprint so I can get my discounts...
Old 10-02-2006, 10:03 PM   #6
bit_bucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicu2001
I was having trouble ordering one online so I called a few local stores and the second one I called had gotten only two. When I got to the store I had to wait a little while because they hadn't even added them to inventory. Activation was very easy and the phone is great.

I am having two problems though:

1. Even though I can download the Telenav GPS software and run it on the 8703e, neither Telenav or Sprint can activate it for me, telling me the model is not supported despite having software available from the sprint website. They are clueless at both Sprint Blackberry / Sprint Customer Care / Telenav Support

2. I can't tether.. The Sprint Connection Manager does nothing and does not recognize the phone as connected.. I have tried three different versions of the BlackBerry Desktop Software and the connection manager still does not recognize the phone :(

Anyone here have any solutions to these two issues? Other than that the phone is excellent.

Also: Anyone in NYC who is looking for one.. I got mine in Jersey City at the store near the Journal Square path -- they had not yet sold the other one when I left today

I just got my subscription activated. Call the Telenav number and ask for Stephan Moore. I hope he doesent get mad at me for publishing his name, but he worked with Sprint for about an hour and got them to add this to my account. I have tested this out and it works great. Check my review I just posted for more details about it.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:25 PM   #7
skip68

I got mine today at the store in Jacksonville. They only got two in, but I got one of them.

Skip
Old 10-02-2006, 10:33 PM   #8
Ph8te

Model: 8730e

I called about 6 stores and went to 2 and none of them had it, most didnt even know what the heck I was talking about, BUT then again when I mentioned the 900M they had no clue what I was talking about either. I saw one of the sores get a UPS shipment today when I was leaving so I may call tomorrow and see if they got any in, if not I am ordering online......
Old 10-02-2006, 11:45 PM   #9
chad5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Good to hear...

... Some are scoring the phone. I'm gonna try again manana. Hope I get lucky!
Old 10-03-2006, 09:36 AM   #10
nicu2001

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by bit_bucket
I just got my subscription activated. Call the Telenav number and ask for Stephan Moore. I hope he doesent get mad at me for publishing his name, but he worked with Sprint for about an hour and got them to add this to my account. I have tested this out and it works great. Check my review I just posted for more details about it.
Hi, thanks for the heads up! Unfortunately Stephen Moore is not in today and the person I spoke with has no clue. He is going to escalate it to engineering for me, though. Any ideas on what else I could do? Do you know the person at Sprint who actually got it added to your account? I need some sort of way to show the clueless sprint people that it is possible. It is very frustrating how both Sprint and Telenav do not know anything about this... I even made them look at the sprint website which offers the download.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:37 PM   #11
jdposhkus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZW

Orederd one today from my rep. He claims Telenav will work...We will find out when the fed ex truck arrives...
2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2008
Old 10-03-2006, 04:00 PM   #12
seaneboyee
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 30159745
Default Link to Telenav Information on Sprint Website

Hi,
Could someone please post a link to some Telenav information on the Sprint website? I would like to find out more about signing up for Telenav to use on my 8703e.

Thank you,
Sean

Sprint BlackBerry 8703e
Old 10-03-2006, 04:02 PM   #13
braz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: att

I just got the 8703 today in the mail from sprint and im having this problem can anyone confirm that it works for them ?

Using the Desktop Manager> App Loader I am unable to remove anything from the phone such as Password Keeper or other Languages. I was able to do this on my 7250. Is this normal on the 87xx?

This is what it says when trying to connect to App Loader;

"The Blackberry Desktop Sofware does not have Blackberry Device Software for the device that you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireless service provider or sys admin."

Sprint has NO CLUE matter of fact when I called the tech support said she didnt know the new bb was out. (What a joke they are)

Im not on a BES so I know that cant be the problem.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:34 PM   #14
bit_bucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by braz
I just got the 8703 today in the mail from sprint and im having this problem can anyone confirm that it works for them ?

Using the Desktop Manager> App Loader I am unable to remove anything from the phone such as Password Keeper or other Languages. I was able to do this on my 7250. Is this normal on the 87xx?

This is what it says when trying to connect to App Loader;

"The Blackberry Desktop Sofware does not have Blackberry Device Software for the device that you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireless service provider or sys admin."

Sprint has NO CLUE matter of fact when I called the tech support said she didnt know the new bb was out. (What a joke they are)

Im not on a BES so I know that cant be the problem.
Although this is off topic. You will need to download the firmware from Blackberry and install it on your computer. Only then can you re-do the device, while removing the software you dont want. Thats what I did, and I was able to reclaim space from the languages and stuff I dont use. The link is posted in the forum, and unfortunatley I am too new to post links
Old 10-03-2006, 04:41 PM   #15
braz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: att

bit_bucket,

Thanks im going to try to search for the link that you spoke of. Can you PM it to me if you know where it is ?

Thanks
braz
Old 10-03-2006, 06:49 PM   #16
oldspice
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

I'm out in New Jersey on business and right across the parking lot from my hotel is a Sprint/Nextel store. I stopped over there this evening and they had one 8703e and a demo unit, but they were both boxed up. I have a total of three phones with Sprint already and hate getting new numbers. So, my choices were, spend $500 (less my $75 discount plus a $36 fee to switch my number) to keep my current number - or - spend $350 (where my $75 discount wouldn't apply), get a new number, wait for 14 days, then switch numbers. I'd also have to spend another $10 month for the new line.

I left empty handed since I can't really justify $500 for QWERTY and GPS. However, I really liked the form factor of the 8703e. It's a tad thinner than my 7130e and the wider screen and QWERTY keyboard definitely were pluses.

I'm only here for tomorrow and the store opens at 10am, so what do y'all think I should do? Keep on rockin' with the 7130e (which I truly like and have no issues with) or breakdown and say good-bye to SureType and hello to QWERTY goodness?
Old 10-03-2006, 06:58 PM   #17
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

If you type a lot on blackberry- go QWERTY.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:01 PM   #18
chad5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Got mine!

Went two year got the 150 off.

Sprint store in Burbank CA had two. As of 3pm they got one left!

Cause this one is mine!!!!
Old 10-03-2006, 07:17 PM   #19
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Roomate found one the day it came out in MN. She really had no clue how to activate it, but she sold it at $350 out the door, and gave him a $100 rebate that had the 8703e listed for a $100 rebate.

I ordered mine through my rep yesterday and it got ordered this AM, should see it tomorrow.

I will miss the 8100 I had trialed, but the T-Mo service just is not happening for me... I got used to the keyboard on it quickly enough, it was a good launch sans the stupid T-Mo file loaded on it that continually gave me errors until I removed it.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:51 PM   #20
bcoutlander1

Wirelessly posted (8703e w/ Sprint: BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I just received my 8703 this afternoon from telesales and I am loving it. I am coming from a line of treo 600, 650 & 700p.

As far as TeleNav is concerned I just downloaded it to my BB from the sprint homepage in the blackberry browser. It fired right up and located my house while I was inside.

Last edited by bcoutlander1; 10-03-2006 at 07:53 PM..
Closed Thread