Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 09:08 PM   #1
Xipper
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Tmobile USA
Default New 7100t w/4.0 - unable to configure PIM sync - resolved

Please Login to Remove!

Hello all, I tried to find anything related to the problem I am having but couldnt' find anything. I have a new 7100t that I upgraded to 4.0 before doing anything else on it..so I'm not sure if this problem is unique to 4.0

The problem I am having is when I go into Desktop Manager it opens up and says it cannot connect to the BB, I manually select it in the connections options and it works (just have to do it everytime, which is annoying).

After it is connected I double click the IntelliSync and click "Configure PIM", in hopes of getting my address book and such onto the BB. As soon as I click "Configure PIM" I get a popup box titled IntelliSync stating "Unknown error reported". There are no other messages, no log file entries, it just fails to work.

This is on a WinXP Pro, SP2 laptop. Outlook 2003 connecting to a Ex2003 server. My user account on the workstation is not the same account for my Exchange mailbox, when accessing with Outlook I have to authenticate manually. I am wondering if the account issue is the problem. Every other sync system I have used uses the existing Outlook session (PocketPC ActiveSync). It almost seems as if the Desktop Manager and Redirector both open their own sessions to the Exchange server and this is failing.

Am I correct on my path? I am only a user on the Exchange server, so I have no real access to logs on it. How is the session to access mail/calendar/address book established betwen the BB Desktop Manager and the Exchange server?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:20 PM   #2
Xipper

btw, this will be activated through a Good.com server in the near future...perhaps this problem will go away then. Either way, the phone is nearly worthless to me if I can't get it to synchronize my address book. I can live without email and calendar until it is activated on the corporate server.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:28 PM   #3
Xipper

A few more details. I went ahead and created a new Outlook profile that is a stand alone IMAP account with a calendar and address book. If I use this profile with Desktop Manager I get the same error.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:03 PM   #4
Xipper

I went ahead and did a "wipe" of the BB and cleared everything back to initial setup. It still fails to allow me to configure the PIM synchronization. I have also re-installed the the Desktop 4.0 software with no change.

I uninstalled Desktop 4.0, deleted all directories (including within user profile) and installed Desktop 3.6 and I was able to get synchronization to work.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:12 PM   #5
Xipper

I went ahead and upgraded to Desktop 4.0, everything is working so far.

It seems that whatever files it creates within the userprofile directories were corrupt/invalid. I am guessing the manual deleting of that directory is what resolved the issue.

I thought I would share my process/solution in case someone else sees the problem later on.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:18 PM   #6
Xipper

To fix the problem I did the following:

Uninstall all RIM software.
Deleted directory from userprofile
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Research In Motion\

I then went ahead and installed the version 3.6 and was able to get everything working. I then installed 4.0 over the top and everything is still working as well as expected.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:03 PM   #7
aristobrat
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7130e
Carrier: VZW

Nice troubleshooting.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:55 AM   #8
Xipper

Thanks, btw. Its just what I do for a living, but not usually on phones...that isn't overly profitable ;)
Old 03-20-2005, 07:46 PM   #9
Zro
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

The important folder that you deleted (as far as sync issues) is the "c:\documents and settings\<username>\Application data\research in motion\intellisync" That's where all your intellisync info is stored. No harm in just deleting the whole "Research In Motion" folder though.

Zro
Closed Thread