BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 10:46 PM   #1
MacBliss

Model: 8700G
Default Berry411 bug?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all, fresh BB newcomer here, all excited with my brand new 8700G bought from Amazon.com for $50 with T-Mobile.

I just installed Berry411 and tested it with a local hardware store request. Fast answer, wonderful. But when I request the google map, it produced a tiny square map that occupied about a fourth of my 8700g screen in the upper left corner, with the rest of my screen white. When I requested a Full Image from the menu, it simply moved the same tiny map to the center of my screen, with the white background now all around... Is this a bug or is it the way it looks in this app? Other than this weird thing I am so incredibly impressed with this app, and with the whole BB universe at large! Life is good!
Old 07-23-2006, 11:17 PM   #2
rickthornton
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default Not a bug - here's a fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBliss
Hi all, fresh BB newcomer here, all excited with my brand new 8700G bought from Amazon.com for $50 with T-Mobile.

I just installed Berry411 and tested it with a local hardware store request. Fast answer, wonderful. But when I request the google map, it produced a tiny square map that occupied about a fourth of my 8700g screen in the upper left corner, with the rest of my screen white. When I requested a Full Image from the menu, it simply moved the same tiny map to the center of my screen, with the white background now all around... Is this a bug or is it the way it looks in this app? Other than this weird thing I am so incredibly impressed with this app, and with the whole BB universe at large! Life is good!
First of all, what Berry 411 does is provide an interface with your browser to save you the trouble of entering the search parameters. Once you get to the Google screen that provides directions and provides a link to a map, you are no longer using Berry 411, it simply got you to that page.

It took me a while to figure this out, but with 45 year old eyes and never a pair of reading glasses when I need them, this technique is very helpful. When you have an image on a web page such as the small google map or any other image that isn't big enough to view properly, do the following while in the browser:

1. Click the track wheel and choose "select"
2. Move the track wheel until you see a dash outlining the desired image.
3. Then click the track wheel and choose "full image"
4. Once the image loads, you can zoom in with the track wheel until the image is an appropriate size.

As I said, this approach works well for any image and I use it routinely for such things as the radar image on Weather Underground, etc.

Enjoy your BB
Old 07-23-2006, 11:34 PM   #3
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Or you can do a search for google maps and download the app to your BB
Old 07-24-2006, 12:26 AM   #4
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (8700c: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Yes install Google Maps too and check out my tips site for other useful apps.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:47 AM   #5
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000

It's a shame that the Google Maps web site doesn't work at ALL with the Blackberry Browsers, or even Opera Mini for that matter.

Wouldn't it be NEAT if Berry411 could link to Google Maps on the Blackberry???

The MAPS link in the results links to MapQuest, but passes through thbogles.com. Perhaps there's a way to add a setting to Berry411 to define screen resolution???

Old 07-24-2006, 07:16 AM   #6
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

For what I paid for them, both Berry411 and Google Maps work great for me
Old 07-24-2006, 09:49 PM   #7
MacBliss

Model: 8700G

Thank you all for the feedback. Yes I agree, for the price, you can't beat those apps. Still, one can I hope that one day Berry411 will use google maps which is FAR superior to mapquest. Still, there is really no reason why the map received by Berry411 from Mapquest should be so tiny and unzoomable, as it is now... I wonder what made Berry411 developer choose Mapquest over googlemaps?
Old 07-24-2006, 09:58 PM   #8
joginder

Model: Passp
Carrier: ATT

Google local map is seperate app and it works perfect.. still Berry411 is not that much integrated with local maps... some day it will ..
Old 07-26-2006, 12:00 AM   #9
Soapm

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68
For what I paid for them, both Berry411 and Google Maps work great for me
Amen!
Old 09-03-2006, 02:00 PM   #10
bbman911

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMobile
Default berry 411 from address book

I absolutely love Berry 411 and I use it all the time. The only bug I've found is when accessing Berry from the address book menu, sometimes there are multple Berry 411 entries in the address book menu. At one point I had 4 such menu items and had to remove the battery to reset iy so that only one entry would exist. I am using v3.3 on a 8700
Old 09-07-2006, 10:10 AM   #11
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbman911
I absolutely love Berry 411 and I use it all the time. The only bug I've found is when accessing Berry from the address book menu, sometimes there are multple Berry 411 entries in the address book menu. At one point I had 4 such menu items and had to remove the battery to reset iy so that only one entry would exist. I am using v3.3 on a 8700
Yes I had two and a battery out reboot dropped it to one. Interesting on how they mutlitply.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:14 PM   #12
philbogle
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-mobile

I'm looking into that bug, I've seen it too.
Closed Thread