BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 06:39 PM   #1
4larlar

Default IMEI/PIN already registered problem

Please Login to Remove!

What can I do with unlocked 7100T but IMEI/PIN already registered on blackberry, therefore can't set up new account?

Let me clarify: I registered on the Tmobile network. Now phone is unlocked and I want to use on Cingular, but can't get the email function to work bec I can't register on the Blackberry/Cingular site as the phone is already on the BB network. Am I missing something?
Old 02-26-2005, 08:04 PM   #2
mk1151
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Default Re: IMEI/PIN already registered problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4larlar
What can I do with unlocked 7100T but IMEI/PIN already registered on blackberry, therefore can't set up new account?
I believe this is a theft prevention issue...

I believe there is only one of two things you can do (short of returning the device for a refund):

1) Contact seller and have them call their old carrier and drop service, then call RIM and deactivate that PIN, or if they used it for business, the company which the seller works for has to remove it (in some circumstances)

2) If you have a sales receipt from the store you bought it from, I believe the serial numbe rneeds to appear on the receipt. That should be proof that you own the device and RIM should be able to activate the IMEI/PIN under your name

Hope this helps...
Old 02-26-2005, 10:11 PM   #3
T-Roy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Darth Vader

BlackBerry Web Client is administered by the carrier. You will have to have them remove it.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:12 AM   #4
mk1151
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Default Re: IMEI/PIN already registered problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4larlar

Let me clarify: I registered on the Tmobile network. Now phone is unlocked and I want to use on Cingular, but can't get the email function to work bec I can't register on the Blackberry/Cingular site as the phone is already on the BB network. Am I missing something?
Based on the new info you put at the bottom of your post, I would think you do have to call T-Mobile and have them remove your PIN...

Isn't there a way to deactivate your PIN through the BWC interface?
Old 02-27-2005, 01:08 PM   #5
barjohn
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700

No way to deactivate PIN from BWC client; however, if you call T-Mobile and ask for Blackberry support and it is your account, you can ask them to remove the device from the BWC (they will set it to 0's). I did that when I wanted to switch my 7230 and 7100 between AT&T and T-Mobile. Also Blackberry tech support at RIM can do it but they need authorization from your carrier to verify that you won the device.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 02-28-2005, 11:16 AM   #6
MooseNYC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjohn
(C)all (your Service Provider) and ask for Blackberry support and it is your account, you can ask them to remove the device from the BWC (they will set it to 0's). I did that when I wanted to switch my 7230 and 7100 between AT&T and T-Mobile. Also Blackberry tech support at RIM can do it but they need authorization from your carrier to verify that you won the device.
I think this is the missing piece of info I was looking for on another thread here. Thanks barjohn!!!
Getting your carrier to 'Unlock' (rather, give you the unlock code so that you can plug it in yourself) is separate from what you are mentioning here, which is to "release" the PIN from the messages going through their service.
So in order for any blackberry to be fully functional (voice & data) on say, Cingular with a T-Mobile branded BB, say 7230 would need to have the device 'Unlocked' & 'Released'??

Can anyone out there help me with getting a TMO released?
Thanks
Dave