BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 09:38 PM   #1
silky_green
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default Forced to BB from Treo... Missing Palm Programs

Please Login to Remove!

Having had the Blackberry 7290 for just two days, and even though I know I'll grow to like the Blackberry as much as my Treo 600, I miss some of the programs I had on my Treo that I always used. I've search this forum to come up with a few replacements but I'm wondering if there are other previous Palm users here and how they are getting by.

-I've seen a replacement for SplashID so I'm going to try that.
-I see that WorldMate is available but doesn't seem to have all the previous functionality like conversions or packing list.
-Is there an email program like SnapperMail for the Blackberry that can connect directly to POP/SMTP/IMAP servers?
-Is there a RSS News reader for the Blackberry like mNews?
-Is there a database program like HanDbase or ListPro or MobiSystem?

Finally, is there a PalmGear like site for Blackberry software? Maybe I can find all the programs to replace my Palm programs there...

Please help me make my transition to the Blackberry less painful. I do want to love my Blackberry as much as my Treo...
Old 02-23-2005, 09:42 PM   #2
silky_green

Oh, one other critical software I'm missing so much is PocketTunes. Can the BB play MP3s? I know there's no SD slot so I can't put any large files on it but maybe couple of songs?...
Old 02-24-2005, 01:59 AM   #3
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Allow me to try to make things a little less painful:

Replacement for SplashID
Dynoplex has a program called eZcase. If you want something free and no-frills, the Password Safe built into BlackBerryOS4 can do the job. However, eZcase is more full-featured.

WorldMate Features
Send an email to the WorldMate people and ask if the features are planned. If not, try using a spreadsheet for packing list and conversions. I actually keep my Packing List in either a spreadsheet (XLS) or text file (TXT). The dynoplex eCell spreadsheet supports macros, so something can be whipped up to automatically do conversions, if required.

Lack of SD Card
One of the ways to bypass lack of SD card is to use the Dynoplex eFile (free) which provides a filesystem for BlackBerry ... which also has the ability to connect wirelessly to network storage (extra cost).
Another trick to keep in mind: Did you know you can even have tons of attachments (i.e. 1 gigabyte in your Inbox): The email attachments are only downloaded on demand, and are automatically downconverted 'on the fly' (i.e. images automatically scaled down before wireless transmission to your BlackBerry). So you can take advantage of the fact that the BlackBerry keeps most of the email data server-side, so that you can access a gigabyte of emails, with just a 32meg BlackBerry.

Email Program
Try to use the Email built into your BlackBerry. Configure your BWC website (via the Desktop PC) to create separate folders for separate email accounts. However, if you are not allowed to use BWC, or you don't like BWC for handling your POP/etc emails, then there's Reqwireless Emailviewer at http://www.reqwireless.com ... It is not nearly as good as SnapperMail. It does the job for POP and IMAP. Someone needs to write very good third party POP client for the BlackBerry, I predict this will happen by this summer now that BlackBerries are rapidly becoming more and more popular (and finally more developer friendly too).

RSS Reader
Yep, there's a few RSS readers now, including NewsBerry and Berry BlogLines .... Or you can use a web-based RSS reader such as Bloggo.

Database
I think I heard of one, but I can't find it yet. At worse, you can use a spreadsheet since they're very flexible, and with a Dynoplex suite, you can copy XLS files to your BlackBerry using eFile for eCell to read.

BlackBerry Music
Not yet. Probably not on model 7290. Unfortunately, the BlackBerry cannot yet be used as a music player.
(Exception: This may be possible in the future on the model 7100 though since it supports ADPCM, and software could theoretically convert MP3 into ADPCM on the fly -- as well as future BlackBerries, as RIM generally add features gradually, as long as they do not interfere with security)

And of course, you have probably seen my BlackBerry FAQ, including Instant Messaging FAQ, Killer Software and PowerToys.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 02-24-2005, 02:06 AM   #4
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

The PalmGear like sites for BlackBerry are:
http://www.rimroad.com
http://www.handango.com

However, I must warn that at the moment, because the BlackBerry software market only really exploded recently (year 2004), BlackBerry online shopping sites are pretty fragmented at the moment. Also, remember you can now install Nokia/Motorola/Sony/Samsung/etc Java phone software on BlackBerry too, so a lot of that is not covered. Plus, there's free software that are not even listed on some of these sites (i.e. the ones listed in BlackBerry PowerToys)

Eventually, there'll be a clearer listing of software, but these covers most of the bases.

And to reassure you about the advantages of BlackBerry, check this out: Why BlackBerry. That will help ease the pain too!
Old 02-24-2005, 04:47 AM   #5
sbagdan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290 on T-Mobile

I have found everything I need ether here or at www.handago.com. I have used Palm, Pocket PC and now RIM (for 2 years now), and I find that the RIm is more durable than the palm, and actually easier to use (trust me, use it for a couple of weeks, and you won't ever want to go back to palm!!)

I hope you find the software you are looking for, and remember, new software seems to be comming out daily....
T-Mobile 7230 (Retired)
Old 02-24-2005, 06:36 AM   #6
Talldog
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

If you use ListPro for checklists, you might try EZToDo. It's not feature-rich, but it works OK for reusable checklists.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:46 PM   #7
silky_green

Thank you very much!!! I thought the Palm user community was great but I'm finding you guys rock too! I've started to read Mark's Blackberry FAQ and am starting to try out some 3rd party apps. Hopefully, the BB software market will grow like the Palm market and we'll have even more choices. I'll post my finding here to help others transitioning from the Palm to the Blackberry. Thank you all!
Old 02-24-2005, 07:51 PM   #8
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

You may have already figured out why lots of businesses really love the BlackBerry.

It's pretty secure that even the CIA was impressed with it (they disassembled the BlackBerry and tried to read data off the individual memory chips, I recall they couldn't succeed). The encryption is much better than other handhelds. The government is a major customer of BlackBerries.

(This also explains the lack of camera and SD card slot .... security reasons!!)
Old 02-24-2005, 10:51 PM   #9
Bear

Model: 7290

I've been working on a comparison review of the Treo 650, the Sidekick II and the Blackberry 7230. By far the overall best of lot would be the Blackberry. Being a long time Palm user and fan, I was tremendously surprised by the performance of the 7230.

I look forward to being a long time Blackberry user, now. ;)
Old 02-24-2005, 11:19 PM   #10
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

If you're very impressed by the 7230, wait till you see the 7290! It has a better screen than the Sidekick (Although not as good as the Treo650 image quality)
Old 03-03-2005, 09:38 PM   #11
SchmutzBerry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Evil Mr. Rogers

I've switched from the PocketPC camp. Although I may still keep my PocketPC for some tasks, I am falling in love with my 7290.
Why, especially as the PocketPC can do just about everything?
It's always on, reliable and accessible.
Try doing something instantly on your PocketPC. Good luck if it boots up properly. If it doesn't crash. If the battery doesn't run out. If it didn't turn on by mistake and drain the battery. If it didn't even hard reset suddenly. I've had Toshiba, HP, Casios, they all do it.
And then, there's the interface, which is powerful, but takes much longer.
So if you want something instantly, the blackberry is always there and accessible.
Now I know why they call it the Crackberry.
But, I wouldn't mind if they built in an SD card and MP3 player.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:04 AM   #12
patrickh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchmutzBerry
But, I wouldn't mind if they built in an SD card and MP3 player.
Just get an iPod shuffle
You don't want the BB's battery drain in 12 hrs..
Old 03-04-2005, 12:07 AM   #13
patrickh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
It's pretty secure that even the CIA was impressed with it (they disassembled the BlackBerry and tried to read data off the individual memory chips, I recall they couldn't succeed). The encryption is much better than other handhelds. The government is a major customer of BlackBerries.

(This also explains the lack of camera and SD card slot .... security reasons!!)
There's a content protection setting in Options->Security if you want your data not readable off disassembled memory chips..

P
Old 03-04-2005, 01:13 AM   #14
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
There's a content protection setting in Options->Security if you want your data not readable off disassembled memory chips..

P
Yeah. That setting can even be forced ON from a BES server, I believe. So that the user can't override.
Closed Thread