Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 12:21 PM   #1
donsarlo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Default Email issues, Web client on BIS

Please Login to Remove!

IS anyone else experiencing problems like this with outbound email?

BB 7250, on Bell Mobility Network, running most recent handheld software, hard EVDO firmware upgrade, upgraded from old web client to new web client.

When sending email to certain users (ones whose corporate email server is UNIX based, using older UUCP mail), if mail is sent using web client, mail is rejected by recipient server as return path has invalid characters (message as follows:

Final-Recipient: rfc822; [email address]
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: X-Spam-Firewall; host bismarck.iplink.net[192.139.81.1] said:
501-5.1.7 For input: <!bis-xdon.sarlo@bell.blackberry.net> SIZE=1379 501
5.1.7 Path data: Had characters unsuitable for an rfc821-string (in reply
to MAIL FROM command)

This UNIX generated message is refering to "!bis-x" as ! (aka "bang") is not configured correctly.

However, if I compose an email to the same destination, and highlight Send Using, click scrollwheel and select "change option" from Web Client to [email address], the email message goes through fine, and the !bis-x characters are not in the MAIL FROM header field.

So, I guess my questions are:

1. Any body else experiencing similar problems?
2. How can one contact RIM regarding this problem (Bell tech support is for the most part useless)?
3. Why is there a choice to send using web client vs my blackberry email address?
4. Why does email compose default to Send Using Web Client?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by donsarlo; 05-26-2006 at 12:23 PM..
Old 05-26-2006, 05:29 PM   #2
koleary19067
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

This is due to security measure at the company where you are sending the email to. If you send an email with the send from other then the BB email address, company sytems will think that the email is spam because you sent the email stating that it is coming from email [email address] when really its coming from the BB email address.

To sum it up, no work around because its on the email server of the company that you are sending it too.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:39 PM   #3
donsarlo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Yes, I understand that. However, BIS 2.0 is incorrectly populating the MAIL FROM field with the characters !bis-x in front of the BB email address. This problem did not occur under the old Web Client (v1.8 I believe).
Old 05-26-2006, 07:58 PM   #4
tateu
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I believe that WebClient is being phased out with BIS 2.0. When I first upgraded to BIS 2.0, I had WebClient and [email address] available. The next time I upgraded my BB OS to v4.1, WebClient disappeared and now I only have [email address]. Which I think sucks by the way. With [email address], you can no longer change the reply to address using BBReply. Instead, you have to have multiple email accounts setup and polled through BIS and each one gets a hard coded reply to address. I already have all my accounts (about 9 of them) set to forward to my BB address and don't want to change them all.

Seems to me like a lot of the upgrades they are making are all about providing less features to the user and less work for RIM/Service Providers.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:08 AM   #5
shehzaad

Model: 7250
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Mobilink Pakistan

I'm having exactly the same problem. Email is being rejected by a particular receiving SMTP server apparently because the SMTP MAIL-FROM has the characters "!bis-x". The specific SMTP error message from the recipient's mail server is:

5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'UUCP bang routing is not permitted'

I had the user send test messages to an outside account which does not seem to have a problem with "UUCP bang routing" and whose receiving SMTP server actually reports the SMTP envelope MAIL-FROM in the "Received: " header that it adds to the message. I see that most messages are sent with the MAIL-FROM as:

<!bis-x[username]@mobilink.blackberry.com>

, but there are some that are sent with the seemingly correct (or at least unproblematic) MAIL-FROM:

<SRS0=cepssF=M3=mobilink.blackberry.com=[username]@srs.bis.eu.blackberry.com>

(Note, I've replaced the actual username with [username] above)

I'd appreciate any insight into this problem - I'm stuck at this point.

thank you.
Closed Thread