Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 05:15 AM   #1
funkym
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: HK CSL
Default Real GTD for your BlackBerry

Please Login to Remove!

Just found a blog entry describing some GTD programs using a proprietary database and a new one which completely takes usage of the already available features from the BlackBerry.

May be someone is interested in this too: http://www.blackberryinsight.com/200...ur-blackberry/
Old 05-13-2006, 10:13 AM   #2
penk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: v6.0.0.461 on Pink

Could you spell out "Getting Things Done" and abbreviate "Blackberry" instead?

Also, how about posting an excerpt of the linked article, perhaps the first few lines. Your description is very vague, especially given the obscure thread title you chose.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:43 AM   #3
funkym
CrackBerry Addict

I can give you a short excerpt but the article is too long and I don't like to "just copy" it ;)

"Implementing Getting Things Done (GTD) with your Blackberry is not as straight forward as you might think. On a Blackberry Version prior 4.0 you do not even have Category support which is essential for the system." [via http://www.blackberryinsight.com]
Old 05-13-2006, 02:18 PM   #4
penk

Model: 9700
Carrier: v6.0.0.461 on Pink

Wirelessly posted (penkberry: BlackBerry7100/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

that looks perfect!

copying the entire article isn't necessary (for many reasons), but the first few lines or paragraph should suffice to identify the material.

if the article obeys the basic rules of journalism, that much will provide the gist of the story and hopefully lead the reader to the next paragraph.

for our purposes, it will prevent needless click-throughs, or hopefully encourage some to click and learn. either of those results should please the original author in some manner, as long as the source is appropriately cited.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:07 PM   #5
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

He provided a link! That's all he needs to do. Your mouse works, right? Needless click-throughs? They're not needless; that's what the web is for.

Thanks for the link, funkym.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penk
Wirelessly posted (penkberry: BlackBerry7100/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

that looks perfect!

copying the entire article isn't necessary (for many reasons), but the first few lines or paragraph should suffice to identify the material.

if the article obeys the basic rules of journalism, that much will provide the gist of the story and hopefully lead the reader to the next paragraph.

for our purposes, it will prevent needless click-throughs, or hopefully encourage some to click and learn. either of those results should please the original author in some manner, as long as the source is appropriately cited.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:29 PM   #6
funkym
CrackBerry Addict

Hehe, thanks for the support "gdpmumin" ;)

It's just because I found a nice thing and wanted the world (aka you all) to know about this. However, posting an excerpt is not as difficult.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:44 PM   #7
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7105t

I am interested but didn't see a link where I could get it and try it out. I need something like this but not have it linked to a BES if possible.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:33 AM   #8
MrKyoo
BlackBerry Master

Model: 4s
PIN: 79B32491
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaJ1074
I am interested but didn't see a link where I could get it and try it out. I need something like this but not have it linked to a BES if possible.
http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...88662&R=188662

-MrKyoo
Old 05-17-2006, 12:39 PM   #9
berrynut

Model: 7100T

Interesting conversation going on...I just got done playing with Next Action I think it is a good attempt but I recently bought todoMatrix from rexwireless.com...that program is amazing and well done. I'm a GTD "lite" person, I like and use the concept of GTD contexts.todoMatrix isn't GTD preconfigured (Getting Things Done by David Allen for the non-GTD people) out of the gate but offers the ability to search all the data in any to-do very quickly which makes it easy to configure to-do contexts. It also searches special characters, a problem in some BB programs.

So...what I did is set up the standard auto text short cuts in regular BlackBerry Options. I went to Autotext to insert "@office" or "@car" or "@home" etc with a couple of regular keystrokes (I use (qqo = @office) (qqh = @home) (qqa = @all) (qqc = @car) because qq doesnxxx8217;t appear in many words but you can figure out whatever is best for you). I can simply do a "find" in todoMatrix on "@of" and hit enter and I immediately see all the @office context to-do's, which I can sort anyway I choose. That is another feature I really like! Todomatrix remembers the last find, so referring back to the found folder works really well. I can also update my task status from the found folder...I do not have to go to the folder any one task is stored in. What is so cool about doing it the todoMatrix way...is that doing it this way makes the number of contexts and groups absolutely unlimited.

I think what you gain doing it this way is using the best overall to-do appl which gives you a lot of other functions. The downside is that TodoMatrix is not Outlook sync-able...but I never loved Outlook and I'm moving to a mostly wireless existance anyway. SO no love lost here!

I really hate bursting any bubbles on the Next Action GTD program but if you really want a great app and good support the rexwirless guys do it well!

Last edited by berrynut; 05-17-2006 at 01:35 PM..
Old 05-17-2006, 11:09 PM   #10
funkym
CrackBerry Addict

Sounds like you are working at rexwirless
Old 05-18-2006, 11:12 AM   #11
thunder33cat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Default Trial Version?!?

Am I missing something?

There's no trial version of this software, is there? I can't find a link on the Handango page, and the other piece of software by this company has exactly zero downloads. Further, the blackberrybooks domain is set to expire - causing me to question the legitimacy of the vendor itself.

I'm intrigued by the app description, but there's no way I'll take the plunge without a trial.

As of right now... I'd say buyer beware.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:15 PM   #12
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

I just finished a more-thorough-than-skimming but less-thorough-than-reading look at the todoMatrix user's guide. I have never been tempted to buy a task management app, e.g., PocketDay or bbToday, for my BlackBerry simply because they added little to no functionality. They do little more than re-skin the built-in app.

todoMatrix appears to be a complete rethinking of task management and it looks very exciting. I'm still using the trial, but I may very well end up buying it when it's all said and done. I'm giving heavy consideration to ideaMatrix and impactMatrix (which isn't yet available but looks promising), too.

Last edited by gdpmumin; 05-18-2006 at 01:42 PM..
Old 05-18-2006, 01:26 PM   #13
alslsb

Model: Class
PIN: erest
Carrier: Verizon
Talking PDLISTS will be the best GTD Lite Program

For a GTD lite, PDLISTS will be great. It is by the makers of PocketDay. I am a beta tester and it beats all the other ones on the market ...
Old 05-18-2006, 01:30 PM   #14
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I found ideaMatrix so useful I purchased todoMatrix. They have a discount if you buy both applications. Neither are perfect but a lot better than what is standard on the BB.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:19 AM   #15
thunder33cat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default PDLists, TDM and back on topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alslsb
For a GTD lite, PDLISTS will be great. It is by the makers of PocketDay. I am a beta tester and it beats all the other ones on the market ...
I'm in the midst of my Pocket Day trial and like it very much, and expect good things from PDLists. Right now I'm also demoing ToDo Matrix, which is also very well done, albeit pricey. If they can deliver a desktop/web component that is serviceable, I'd be inclined to go with TDM over PDL (in the absence of a web/desktop component for PDL).

Back on topic, however - has anyone bought NextActionGTD? How could this software claim to use the BB databases, when porgrammers with evidently much more experience have said that RIM needs to make them more accessible for that to be possible. Seems fishy, huh?
Old 05-19-2006, 03:24 PM   #16
berrynut

Model: 7100T

funkym
Nope...not working for Rexwirless...just a die hard fan that loves their product. It is that well done.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:59 PM   #17
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Well, as I stated in an earlier post, I tried todoMatrix from Rexwireless. At that time, I mentioned that I was leaning toward purchasing it because everything I had seen from it was quite good. I was worried that I might miss the integration with Outlook, though, so that gave me a little bit of a reason to think about whether or not it was the right purchase.

I bought it Friday, and I have absolutely no regrets. It's a great task management system for the BlackBerry. I've been a long time PocketPC user (started with a brick called the Casiopeia E-125) and have been a BlackBerry user only for about six months. What I have seen of BlackBerry apps is that they tend not to be quite ready for release (developers' fault, not the BlackBerry's), but in general they improve over time. todoMatrix was ready for release.

The drawer and folder views, click-wheel options, overall app functionality are all very intuitive. There will be a very low learning curve. In fact, most folks won't need to even look at the user guide (a downloadable PDF). The alerts work as you would want them to work, and the ability to set a specific snooze time is very nice. The hot-keys work, even on 7100 models (well, most of them anyway). For hot-keys where the second letter on a key is the hot-key, simply pressing the Alt key followed by the letter gets you want you want it to do. The most common hot-keys are always right there at the bottom of the screen. Very helpful. A list of others is a hot-key away.

I sent Rexwireless some suggestions on Friday and I received a very nice e-mail reply within 30 minutes. Some of my suggestions included changing the task count to not include completed tasks. Right now, the total number of tasks in a folder is listed by the folder, regardless of whether or not a task is complete. Their plans are to change the task count to read 2 / 5 To-do's, where the first number indicates open tasks and the second indicates total tasks in a folder.

Another suggestion was to implement the ability for phone numbers, e-mail addresses, and website URIs to show up as hyperlinks. This would be helpful when setting a task to call someone. John from Rexwireless indicated this was a bigger task than it looks like, but they have added it to their customer suggestions to look at again in the fall.

Other minor suggestions included the ability to change the display font style and size and the ability to use a key to expand and collapse drawers and folders. I suggested the Enter key for this, but that isn't possible. I didn't know it at the time, but there's a hot-key (X) that should do that. That would be perfectly fine, except this seems to be the one hot-key I've come across that doesn't work on the 7100 models (at least not on my 7130e).

The price is a little steep, but I've always been willing to pay for software that delivers what it's supposed to and is helpful to me in my day-to-day activities. todoMatrix does that extremely well!

And when they release impactMatrix, those of who use a convergence of GTD and Covey methods (I do) may very well have the best of both worlds. Perhaps they can add a click-wheel menu item that allows you to move from one app to the other, making the three Matrix apps more like a suite than individual applications?
Old 05-23-2006, 12:14 PM   #18
funkym
CrackBerry Addict

Just found the homepage of them: NextAction!
Old 05-23-2006, 02:10 PM   #19
thunder33cat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Nice home page...

Not really... it's just the ad from Handango.

I'd like to believe it's legit.

But I don't.

Let's see a trial version. Let's see some real user reviews (i.e. not the ones the seller creates on Handango...)

The story remains the same - buyer beware.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:54 PM   #20
pengrus

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Hope some users can share experience on GTD NextAction script. The Task Category is really helpful.
Closed Thread