Old 04-27-2006, 04:06 PM   #1
Liv
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint
Default Question about switching from Cing to Tmo

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All!

Okay, so I am with Cingular right now with my BB - I love cingular, love how they are really fast and such, but the fact they have not updated to the new BIS is making it a challenge to have it work for me. I have to be able to receive different email addresses and to be able to answer from different "from" addresses. This is vital for my business, I run so many and they are so different, I need them to be seperate. Because of this I am thinking I am going to switch to Tmo.

I understand I have to pay $45 to get it unlocked, but beyond that is it a challenge to move from Cing to TMo? I do not have a contract with Cingular because I brought my own 8700c, will I have to have a contract with Tmo? Because if TMo does not have good enough coverage in the areas I am going to be going to in the summer, it will defeat the purpose anyway. So it may be possible that I would have to move back to Cing.

Should I bite the bullet and move to Tmo? Or will I end up getting myself in a lot of headache for switching around. Will I be able to move back to Cing from TMo seamlessly if the coverage stinks?

And finally, are there any Tmo users here that use their blackberry's anywhere around these cities: Louisville, KY., Fort Knox, KY., Bowling Green, KY., Nashville, TN, Chattanooga, TN, and Cleveland, TN? If you are using in any of these areas (within a 50 mile radius or whatever) does TMo have good coverage for you?

Device: Sprint 8330 Curve - Crimson
My heart belongs to Seattle18 (Who I met on the Forums, ironic.)
Old 04-27-2006, 04:09 PM   #2
stripesace
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile

Give cingular some time. Have you looked into BB reply for the 8700? Catch me on AIM later.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
stealthx32

Model: 8220
Carrier: T-Mobile

T-Mobile has their super-detailed coverage map at http://compass.t-mobile.com so if you know exactly where you'll be this summer, you can have a peek.

As for whether or not you'll be on a contract...I don't believe you will be, but you'll have to pay a $35 activation fee. So, $45 unlocking, $35 activation...that's $80 right there.

Saving $25/month, it'll take you 3 months on T-Mobile to recoup that.

You should be able to switch without a hassle: just make sure to unregister your PIN with Cingular before moving to T-Mobile.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:33 PM   #4
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Also, a cheaper option is to check Pocketday. Not only does it organize you, but you can select reply to addresses as well.

BBreply is also an option as stated above. TMO is nice, but why switch if your happy? The BIS update will happen, but Cingular isn't going to launch until they know that it is ready.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:49 PM   #5
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

I agree with the above. The amount of work to go through just to get BIS 2.0 right now instead of a few months from now seems crazy to me.

It's frustrating that we have to wait, but BBReply is getting me by quite nicely for now. It doesn't change the "from" addy, but it keeps me from having to sort through where the e-mails come from/go to.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:42 PM   #6
Liv

That is true...I will have to really consider it. I looked at the coverage map, and wierdly enough, I am going to be in the boondocks in the summer and there is "fair" coverage there where I will be living. Wow. Not sure what fair means when it comes to the BB...Does Cingular have a detailed map like that?

Old 04-27-2006, 06:11 PM   #7
Braxo

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

Liv said:
"I have to be able to receive different email addresses and to be able to answer from different "from" addresses. This is vital for my business, I run so many and they are so different, I need them to be seperate. Because of this I am thinking I am going to switch to Tmo."

I just received my blackberry last week (for Cingular) and just started an individual email account. It gave me the option to change my 'from' address to anything I typed, so instead of [email address] I changed it to [email address]

I even sent my school account a test email from my 8700c and it stated it was from [email address]
Old 04-27-2006, 11:51 PM   #8
Liv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braxo
Liv said:
"I have to be able to receive different email addresses and to be able to answer from different "from" addresses. This is vital for my business, I run so many and they are so different, I need them to be seperate. Because of this I am thinking I am going to switch to Tmo."

I just received my blackberry last week (for Cingular) and just started an individual email account. It gave me the option to change my 'from' address to anything I typed, so instead of [email address] I changed it to [email address]

I even sent my school account a test email from my 8700c and it stated it was from [email address]
Yep! It let's you do that. I have one of my emals set up as the from address but I need that capabilty for the rest of my emails. And whenever the cingular update comes out...whenever that may be...it will fix the issue. Tmo already has the update. That is what is so stinkin painful

Old 04-27-2006, 11:56 PM   #9
pengrus

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv
Yep! It let's you do that. I have one of my emals set up as the from address but I need that capabilty for the rest of my emails. And whenever the cingular update comes out...whenever that may be...it will fix the issue. Tmo already has the update. That is what is so stinkin painful

Stick with Cingular for a few more months. I switched from Tmo to Cingular for two reasons:

1. TMO customer service has not been treating me well. I got hit with unusally large roaming charge when I was traveling in Europe - they charged me for over $250 JUST for someone leaving me voicemails. I called three times and was not able to get a penny reduced. It's not a great feeling being with them that long.

Cingular on the other hand, reduced my first month's bill by $150 simply because I was over the monthly plan. How nice is that?

2. TMO clearly does not have as good coverage as Cingular. Even with the same coverage map, you will be able to talk with Cingular in basement and elevator, you cannot do it with TMO. I had major issues with TMO when the Rita Hurricane came and when I went to New Mexico for ski.

I am also hoping for the new BIS, but the REPLY TO small plug in should just work fine. And the nice integration with Gmail will let you archive all the emails you sent out from your BB. So it is very safe approach.

I've been studying the options and I think I will subscribe to Cingular's BB plan very soon.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:32 AM   #10
Liv

That is true...I will probably stick with Cingular.

I came up with an "Email address" strategy. I set up my business email as the "from" address in the BIS panel and will just set my personal emails with the "reply-to" address of my personal email. I would much rather get personal email going to my business than vice versa. I just hope Cingular releases it soon. I really need the upgrade.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:57 PM   #11
dcantrel
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

Hey Kiv, I live in the Lexington,KY area and have traveled to most of the KY areas you mention and have both Cingular and TMo blackberries at the moment till my number gets ported. So far the TMo coverage is as good or better in almost all areas, if TMo doesn't have coverage directly they roam on Cingulars towers here in KY. I have traveled Eastern KY extensively and have not found anywhere that the TMo doesn't have coverage that the Cingular one did.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:00 PM   #12
jungleland

Model: BOLD
Carrier: At&t

TMOBILE IS THE WORST EVER!!!

There has never been a more horrible provider...Their voice coverage is awful/non existent, but at least their data hardly ever works...
Old 04-28-2006, 09:03 PM   #13
Liv

Thank you for the input!

Old 04-28-2006, 09:17 PM   #14
The Bishop

Model: 8700g
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

If you want to know about coverage for cellular providers, go to HowardForums.com and look there, they will have a much larger and more knowledgeable crowd if you're looking at that.