BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 01:04 AM   #1
Seraxis519

Model: 8830
Carrier: Bell Canada
Default Problem adding extra email account on the BIS

Please Login to Remove!

I have been using my new BB for a while now, and have had no problems up until now.

I managed to use the BIS to add my Hotmail email account, so that it is auto pulled to the BB. This is not the problem.

Today i tried to add another one. This one, is not a hotmail account, but is an (@sympatico.ca) account. Now when i put in the information in the add email account it says it is successful and i get that green check mark over the box....

Only problem is, it never asked me if it was a pop3, if it needs SSL, or which port to use. ATM it does not work. Now i can get the emails though outlook, so i assumed that BIS could also get them, it just needs to know how, but it is not asking me the directions.

Is this simply not possible? I mean I can log into my sympatico account though the hotmail main webpage, so im assuming it should be possible. Anyone have any idea how i can get it to ask me for ssl or ports etc
Old 04-19-2006, 02:25 AM   #2
Getup1995
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraxis519
I have been using my new BB for a while now, and have had no problems up until now.

I managed to use the BIS to add my Hotmail email account, so that it is auto pulled to the BB. This is not the problem.

Today i tried to add another one. This one, is not a hotmail account, but is an (@sympatico.ca) account. Now when i put in the information in the add email account it says it is successful and i get that green check mark over the box....

Only problem is, it never asked me if it was a pop3, if it needs SSL, or which port to use. ATM it does not work. Now i can get the emails though outlook, so i assumed that BIS could also get them, it just needs to know how, but it is not asking me the directions.

Is this simply not possible? I mean I can log into my sympatico account though the hotmail main webpage, so im assuming it should be possible. Anyone have any idea how i can get it to ask me for ssl or ports etc
You can delete the account and then add it back, but this time supply the wrong password. The BIS will tell you it can not add it and ask if you want to configure the account. You will have choices on how you want to configure your account. Select "I will provide the settings to add this e-mail account". This will allow you to enter the settings for your pop3 account.

Last edited by Getup1995; 04-19-2006 at 02:33 AM..
Old 04-19-2006, 07:15 PM   #3
Seraxis519

Thanks for the response, i managed to get to the part where is asks me for the rest of the info about the server, and i entered it all but i still cant get it to work.

Im wonderig if it is because the BIS is only asking me for the mail server address, but what i have is the incming and outgoing server adresses.

The incoming pop3 server is pophm.sympatico.ca
outgoing is smtphm.sympatico.ca

I also had to use SSL port 995 for incoming and port 25 for outgoing.

Do i need to get a different server address, like mail.sympatico.ca etc..?
Old 04-20-2006, 06:36 AM   #4
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Default Mail Servers

Here are the MX DNS entries:

sympatico.ca. 15M IN MX 5 toip1.bellnexxia.net.
sympatico.ca. 15M IN MX 5 toip2.bellnexxia.net.
sympatico.ca. 15M IN MX 5 toip3.bellnexxia.net.
sympatico.ca. 15M IN MX 5 toip4.bellnexxia.net.
sympatico.ca. 15M IN MX 5 toip5.bellnexxia.net.
sympatico.ca. 15M IN MX 5 toip6.bellnexxia.net.
sympatico.ca. 15M IN MX 5 toip7.bellnexxia.net.

See if any of these work.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:29 PM   #5
Seraxis519

i am assuming that i should just use the "toip1.bellnexxia.net" part?
Old 04-20-2006, 06:40 PM   #6
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraxis519
i am assuming that i should just use the "toip1.bellnexxia.net" part?
Correct. When you setup an email account in the BIS it does a DNS lookup for the MX record of the email domain. Maybe one of the mail servers is not responding.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:55 PM   #7
Seraxis519

I tried all the servers and didnt get them to work.

Im wondering it i cant get this to work bacause Sympatico and MSN recently joined together for their email service. For example i can now get my email by going to hotmail.com and then putting in my @sympatico email.

Think this might have somthing to do with my problems?
Old 04-23-2006, 06:38 PM   #8
phetish phil
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: m

Here's a possibility. Try checking your Outlook to ensure that you're leaving a copy of messages on the server. Outlook configures POP accounts to remove the messages from the server by default. If this is the case it's possible that your Outlook is removing messages from the mail server before BIS can grab a copy of them.

Just a couple of things while I'm thinking about it.

pophm.sympatico.ca is the correct incoming server. You do not need the smtphm.sympatico.ca server for BIS. It sends using the BIS SMTP servers.

BIS very likely autoconfigured for SSL if it gave you back a valid check mark. BIS would have to actually login to the account to validate and you can't even connect to the mail server on port 110 to input a user/pass combo.

MX records indicate valid servers for incoming mail. I send from my machine to [email address] and the MX records show mailservers that accept mail for that domain with a preference level, in this case they all have the same preference level 5. You shouldn't be able to connect to them for POP service as well in a mail environment as huge as Sympatico would have. A small company or ISP may have their incoming and outgoing SMTP doubled along with POP, IMAP and anything else they can throw at it. I can't imagine Sympatico doing the same.

Last edited by phetish phil; 04-23-2006 at 06:57 PM..
Old 04-24-2006, 12:59 AM   #9
Seraxis519

Hmm ok i will try that right now.

The only reason i assumed it wasnt working was because, my hotmail account for example is pulled instantly.

If i send myself an email though hotmail, i get it on the BB pretty much instantly. I just assumed that it woul dbe similar with the sympatico email, since it also runs though hotmail, or msn or whatever it is.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:12 AM   #10
phetish phil
Thumbs Must Hurt

If you get your Hotmail instantly that sounds more like it's being forwarded than checked by BIS. Either that or you just have a really lucky timing. I usually see about three to ten minutes from when it hits Thunderbird to when it hits my handheld. Either way you'd have to have a premium account. I don't think Hotmail provides either POP or forwarding options without a premium account.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:53 AM   #11
Seraxis519

Hmm well see i was under the impression that the way BIS worked was every 15 mins it checked for mail, meaning if i recieved a message at say 1pm, the next would not show up until 1:15, if it was sent in the middle of the 2.

However it seems like if i send myself an email, wait to get it, send another, there is almost never a long wait.

Just now i sent one, waited to recieve it, (2mins) sent another right away, ( got it in 1m), then sent another and got it in 2mins.

So in 5 mins the BIS pulled emails 3 times... I just assumed that was meaning that hotmail was notifying BIS that the mail has arrived, since there isnt a 15min gap

Also Your solution fixed my problem lol, i feel like an idiot, but i guess i never thought of it since i set my hotmail up the same way. But now i realize that the hotmail account is HTTP which doesnt allow me to remove messages from the server.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:47 AM   #12
phetish phil
Thumbs Must Hurt

Glad I could help.
Closed Thread