Carrier: Cingular
Default Hands on review: Fortte 8700x cases with new ratcheting belt clip

Please Login to Remove!

Fortte Ratcheting Clip Cases

Hands on review by lgreenberg
March, 31, 2006

Price as reviewed: TBD

www.fortte.com

Ixxx8217;ve been a self-proclaimed gadget nut for a long time. The story is usually the same. Something new comes out and I get it. Then I proceed to purchase every accessory imaginable or currently on the market for this new item. You can of course imagine the amount of accessory items Ixxx8217;ve purchased over the years for my various gadgets. I think itxxx8217;s safe to say Ixxx8217;ve easily spent over $5,000 in gadget accessories.

Why am I telling you this youxxx8217;re probably asking yourself. I simply wanted to make you aware of my familiarity with the different accessory retailers out there. I do this so you know I know what Ixxx8217;m talking about when I say this.

I have never come across a company who better reacts to the needs of their customers than Fortte.

Other companies might say they do xxx8220;customxxx8221; work. Or that they listen to what their customers say but how many actually take the feedback they receive and respond to it actively? Not many. We as Blackberry users are lucky. There are a few companies who do things the right way like Fortte does. Gizmoskin and Siedio come to mind. These companies have earned a cult like following, and rightfully so, because of the way they handle the needs of their customers.

So, a few weeks ago a few Blackberry Forums members wrote that they like the Fortte line of cases but wished theyxxx8217;d come out with a ratcheting belt clip instead of the free swivel clip currently being used. What happened? Fortte reacted and is set to release cases with a ratcheting belt clip.

Salo, from Fortte, was nice enough to recently send me two samples of cases which utilize the new ratcheting belt clip.

Side note. I had always pronounced the company Fortte (like "fort".) Little did I know I was doing it wrong. Salo answered the phone and pronounced it Fortte (for-tey). So now I know and so do you.

By now youxxx8217;re probably saying enough Larry, on to the cases. So letxxx8217;s go.

Fortte sent me two cases for the Blackberry 8700c. The STi Vertical Pouch case and the Lateral Pouch case.

Wexxx8217;ll look at the STi case first.

This is an all black, leather, pouch style case with no flap/top. The Blackberry is held inside the case by pure friction. The case is all leather except for the sides which are elastic. This allows you to use the extended battery with this case. Or in my case fit with Egrips and The Best Skins Ever installed.

The fit of the case is perfect.

The case has a cut out for the speaker so ringtones/alerts are not muted.

As I mentioned above this case has no top.

When placed into the case the track wheel, audio jack and charging port are all fully accessible. Only the escape key is hidden.

This case does utilize a sleeper magnet and itxxx8217;s positioned perfectly.

The ratcheting clip Fortte has decided to go with is the best of its type Ixxx8217;ve ever seen. Itxxx8217;s nice and long so itxxx8217;ll slide over most belts and is ridged at the bottom so it locks in place. You can rest assure there is no chance of this belt clip coming off your belt.

Note in the picture below. Ixxx8217;m wearing a wide belt today (I measured it 1-1/2 inches wide) and therexxx8217;s still room for the clip to go on a wider belt.

The stud used for the clip is sewn to the back of the case. Itxxx8217;s a notched plastic stud and itxxx8217;s very secure on the back.

Once clipped in the clip offers you eight different locking positions.

The case does sit slightly low and out when worn on your hip but Ixxx8217;m not sure how that could be avoided with this type of clip.

Conclusion xxx8211; If you are looking for a pouch style, belt clip case, look no further. This is it. The leather used it superb. The clip is strong and secure, and the fit is perfect.

lgreenberg rating: 5/5

Pros: Perfect, fit, ratcheting belt clip, sleeper magnet, Forttexxx8217;s customer service.

Cons: Belt clip does stick out a bit.

The other case Fortte sent me is their Lateral Pouch.

This case is made from a different type of leather than all the other cases in the Fortte line. Itxxx8217;s still black but is much stiffer. Salo explained to me that they need to use a tougher leather on the lateral pouch so over time the pouch does not sag. I love the leather used in this case and actually prefer it to the leather used in the other cases Fortte makes.

Here you can see a shot comparing the two types of leather.

This case uses a magnetic flap closure method.

The case has a cut out on the bottom which makes it easy to remove the device. Just press up with your fingers.

This case does have a sleeper magnet and it is properly positioned. The 8700 must be placed screen in to utilize the sleeper magnet.

The case I was sent has the same ratcheting belt clip I discussed above so I wonxxx8217;t go into detail about it all over again. Just know the same positive feedback applies.

Conclusion xxx8211; Another great one from Fortte. The leather is beautiful, the fit excellent and once again the new clip rocks!

lgreenberg rating: 5/5

Pros: Perfect fit, , ratcheting belt clip, sleeper magnet, extra tough leather. Forttexxx8217;s customer service.

Cons: Belt clip does stick out a bit.

For those of you missed it in previous threads Fortte now has six different clip options available.

No clip:

Rachet Clip

Swivel Clip

Fixed Clip

Heavy Duty Clip

Belt Loop

Ixxx8217;m in case heaven

Last edited by lgreenberg; 03-31-2006 at 09:58 PM..
Old 03-31-2006, 06:00 PM   #2
sithjedi333
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks for the writeup, I just put in an order after reading this long awaited review.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:03 PM   #3
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c

See.....theres this thing that you should probably come to grips with. Its called...addiction. You can be addicted to many things and sir, I think you are addicted to cases
Old 03-31-2006, 06:06 PM   #4
lgreenberg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50

Hey now wait a second.

Salo is like my case dealer. I didn't ask him to send me these cases. He's feeding my addiction like a good dealer should. He keeps giving me a taste knowing I'll be back for more.

I can't help myself.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:07 PM   #5
PRB
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 8800
Carrier: CINGULAR
Default More Clips & Options

Just to let you know that we introduced a few more options... not only clips... heavy duty metal clip, etc.
Visit
http://www.fortte.com/scr/showproduct.php/106

More options soon...

Thank you to all forum members for their feedback and recommendations..

Regards.
PRB
Old 03-31-2006, 07:09 PM   #6
lgreenberg

PRB,

I updated my review to include all the different clip options.

Keep up the good work!
Old 03-31-2006, 07:34 PM   #7
amnon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

May be they should put the stud lower in the vertical holster. It sits so low!

I still prefer the one on my GizmoSkin (not starting a war, just posting my opinion) which has an extremely low profile and even though in theory it's less secure than the Fortte clip it never budged from my belt (GizmoSkin 3rd generation).

Competition is always good, cool to have so many choices...
Old 03-31-2006, 07:49 PM   #8
lgreenberg

I agree the clip is not "low profile" but it's just so darn secure.

Feels great.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:44 PM   #9
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

Very impressive! I mean both the case and Fortte. I've been interested in the STI but wanted a slimmer clip and they have definitely stepped up to respond to customer feedback.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:49 PM   #10
sithjedi333

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB
Just to let you know that we introduced a few more options... not only clips... heavy duty metal clip, etc.
Visit
http://www.fortte.com/scr/showproduct.php/106

More options soon...

Thank you to all forum members for their feedback and recommendations..

Regards.
PRB
What other options are coming available?
Old 04-01-2006, 01:24 AM   #11
gexx18

Model: 8700r

lgreenberg YOU ARE MY HERO !
___
Old 04-01-2006, 03:36 PM   #12
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: S & Needles
Carrier: I don't even know her

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreenberg
Hey now wait a second.

Salo is like my case dealer. I didn't ask him to send me these cases. He's feeding my addiction like a good dealer should. He keeps giving me a taste knowing I'll be back for more.

I can't help myself.
Spoken like a true case addict...lol Thanks for the review Igreenberg!
Old 04-01-2006, 04:01 PM   #13
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Wirelessly posted (8700c: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Larry can you post side by sides of the ratcheting and swivel clip so we can see the depth. Another great job my friend.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:26 PM   #14
lgreenberg

I'm not entirely sure what you want but here are a few shots.

Let me know if this isn't what you had in mind.

Old 04-01-2006, 11:30 PM   #15
casmer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: ATT

Hey Larry,
Is there any concern on the open top you reviewed of ratcheting it upside down and having the phone fall out on its own? It doesn't happen all that often to me, but sometimes I will find my case upside down on my hip. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:21 AM   #16
lgreenberg

That's a very valid question.

I think the likelihood of that happening is pretty slim. The ratcheting clip is very stiff. It's not easy for the clip to move postions on it's own. The OEM RIM pouch for example, has a very loose ratchet. Many times I'll noticed it's moved a few notches while on my belt. This isn't the case with the Fortte clip.

Also, the fit is tight. Even if I turn the case upside down the Blackberry doesn't move. Now it may loosen up over time but I don't think it would fall out on its own.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:10 AM   #17
DuckWingDuck
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMO

So which do you like better? The vertical pouch or the lateral pouch? I'm having a hard time trying to decide between the two and unfortunately, my girlfriend is not so understanding about my growing case collection as your wife ;)
Old 04-02-2006, 03:00 AM   #18
lgreenberg

I prefer the vertical.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:42 PM   #19
BBRaffey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold

I have both the vertical (swivel clip) and horizontal (belt loop) Fortte cases. Vertical is easier to get the bb out of but sticks out more and makes quite a fashion statement. The horizontal fits very snugly to the body especially with the belt loop and is not as geeky looking, It hides under sweaters and the like. I use the vertical when on business and the horizontal on weekends.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:58 AM   #20
jddrad

Model: 8700c

I just got the vertical ratcheting case. I love the case, but am somewhat disappointed with the size of the ratchet. It does ride fairly far away from my belt. I am used to something a that is a little more snug...so I am trying to decide whether to keep this one or return it for maybe the attached belt clip.

I also noticed today that the company website has been updated with a note recommending the one I bought (elastic on the sides) not be used with the slim battery (which is what I have). Now there is a new case that will be available in early May with leather on the sides that is recomended for the "slim battery." It feels pretty secure as is - so I am not sure why the change - but it seems like this company really wants to create a quality image and product.

At any rate, whether I keep the ratchet or not - I will stay with Fortte.

Thanks so much for the great review!