BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 08:48 AM   #1
bcjordo

Model: 7250
Carrier: Verizon
Default Enterprise Activation Not Working w/ In House BES Server

Please Login to Remove!

I have BES 4.0.4 for Exchange and we are using 7250 handhelds. This system has been in place for approx. 4 months now and has worked beautifully up until now. All the units that were previously added are working correctly but we have been trying to add a few devices through wireless activation and it's not working at all.

Here is what the device displays shows when attempting to activate:

Activating...
Retrying
Retrying
Retrying

This process takes over 30 minutes to complete and then an error message along the lines of contact your system administrator pops up. Well, here I am, the system administrator, looking for some answers on where to look to start troubleshooting this problem. Any help will be deeply appreciated.

--Jordan

PS - Some steps I've already taken in troubleshooting
- Wiping the handheld
- Removing and adding the user
- Restarting every BES service
- Restarting the BES server
Old 03-15-2006, 09:21 AM   #2
MrFace
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I have the same issue. The wireless activation worked for a couple weeks and then it just stopped and now I have to do them all manually.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:50 AM   #3
dev
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

I've had the same issues when adding new users to the BES or when switching devices for some users. What I've done to correct the problem is adopt the following procedures:
1. All new devices from the provider are security wiped - sometimes these devices were used/returned previously. Don't believe that the provider always gives you brand new devices. Once thats done, then users are assigned to these new devices.
2.For previously provisioned devices - I do the same as above then reassign.
In your case I would do the following in this order -
- Remove the user from the BES
- Run the handheldcleanup tool - This updates the config information in db. Usually used when users are moved from one Exchange server to another.
- Re-do the security wipe on the device.
- Re-add the user account to the BES server
- Enterprise Activate or do a wired sync which ever is easier - ensure that your spam filters are not blocking the etp.dat file file that gets sent to the user account. This is the only way the BlackBerry Infrastructure (RIM) can communicate with your device initially, so that encryption keys and routing information can be exchanged.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:22 AM   #4
bcjordo

Which switch should I be using for handheld cleanup. Sorry for the ignorance.

--Jordan
Old 03-15-2006, 11:40 AM   #5
dev
CrackBerry Addict

handheldcleanup -u
Old 03-15-2006, 12:13 PM   #6
bcjordo

still no luck. removed user, ran handheldcleanup -u several times, wiped handheld, added user, and tried activation again with the same results. Any other ideas?
Old 03-15-2006, 12:41 PM   #7
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Have you verfied that the BlackBerries are activated on the Verizon or Sprint (assuming that your using one or the other) networks? Can the device send PIN messages?

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-15-2006, 12:42 PM   #8
dev
CrackBerry Addict

What does your MAGT, DISP & SYNC logs say about the user that was activated? Does the device send a response packet back to the BES server and Blackberry infrastructure? Did you receive the etp.dat message?

Also are the devices active on the wireless network (remove and replace the SIM card)
Old 03-15-2006, 03:06 PM   #9
hannahkat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Bell

Check that there is not a rule in place preventing delivery of the initial dat message to the users inbox, or that the users aren't deleting them

If the device is data enabled you should be able to PIN it from another device.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:28 PM   #10
jwashburn

Model: 7100i
Carrier: multiple

I am having the exaxt same problem. What I would like to check first is the etp.dat file. How can I tell if that shows up or not.

Maybe I am missing a step. We get a new device and wipe it.

Then I go into BES and add the users from our Global Address List. I click Generate and Email password which I get in the users mailbox and then I take that password and do the Enterprise Activation.

This is all I have done in the past I we havent had problem until recently
Old 03-17-2006, 06:54 PM   #11
markerman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: verizon
Default Exchange IMF

In you are on Exchange 2003 Check the users Outlook JunkEmail Folder if using Outlook 2003. If not use OWA to log onto the users mailbox open the JunkEmail folder and look for a message with the return address of [email address] where X = a number from 1 - 9.

If you see the message in the Junk Email folder, then disable the JunkEmail Filter in OWA by Clicking Option icon in the lower left pane and remove the check next to "Filter Junk E-mail. Check the Junk E-mail folder regularly to ensure that you do not miss messages that you want to receive"

Wipe the handheld. I just assign a 6 character alphanumeric EWA password that is easy for the user user to type in especially if it's a new user who has never used the keyboard before. I don't use the "Generate a Password".

If you are using the Enterprise Wireless Activation on regular basis, and are running Exchange 2003 SP2 with IMF installed, I would recommend setting up the Custom Wieght Entry XML file and use the keyphrase in the message body "This message is used to carry data between the BlackBerry Handheld and an associated server. Please do not delete, move or respond to this message - it will be processed by the server.". Google Custom Wieght Entry and you will get instructions on how to set that up. I use it and it works great. I have never had to worry about IMF catching the wireless activation messages from Blackberry since then.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:02 PM   #12
Nguyen2
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100

I am having the same issue here. Can someone shed some light on how to run the handheldcleanup -u utility? I did a search but didn't see how to execute it. I've also read that you have to enter in parameters. What are they?

Also, how do I do a wired activation on BES 4.0. I am on Exchange 2003. I have this one user who I can not activate. At first I thought it was the device but I was able to activate my self on his device but wasn't able to get him activated on my device. It seems like its just this one user's account. Can anyone help?
Old 03-18-2006, 03:16 PM   #13
Nguyen2
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100

Ok I found out how execute the handheldcleanup -u from this article...

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...25083&vernum=0.

Now how to do that Wired activation? Is it the same procedure as on BES 3.6 with the Desktop manager? I tried doing this but the user still wasn't able to send emails. Got the RED X. Ideas?
Old 08-17-2007, 07:12 PM   #14
monkeyshaver

Model: pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile, sprint, at&t, tellus

I'm having the same type of issue right now. new people cannot reactivate. if they are already on the BES server they have mail flow. i'm noticing that when i try to activate, normally the user would recieve an email in their inbox. that does not seem to be happening now. this all started yesterday for me. any ideas folks? i've wiped, reset, rebooted, re-everything i know how to do, not that that is much. i have also not made any crazy configuration changes from out of the box. would love to know where to look.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:55 PM   #15
monkeyshaver

Model: pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile, sprint, at&t, tellus

got it working. our spam filter was taking the communication email away. once i unjunked it, it worked fine. thanks for helping my brain, guys.
Closed Thread