BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
parttimemagicalbean

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2
Default BB was stolen... but BB PIN still in use?

Please Login to Remove!

I got my phone stolen in April on a night out and the next day phoned O2 to get my phone blocked. I used the Blackberry Protect App to lock and wipe the device after trying to locate it multiple times via GPS.
After accepting that it was gone, I bought a new blackberry. 6 months later (yesterday), out of curiosity I decided to add my old BB pin to my new BBM. To my surprise, immediately I received an accepted response from this PIN. I sent a few messages and found out that the person who is now using my BB pin lives in the same area as where it was stolen.

I phoned O2 to check the status of the use of my stolen BB, but was told that it had been inactive since the day it was blocked. Can BBM pins are recycled once the phone has been rendered inactive, or is there any possibility that this is indeed my stolen phone being used?

Any advice would be much appreciated
Old 10-31-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
fourstringfuror
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Q10
Carrier: VZW
Default Re: BB was stolen... but BB PIN still in use?

The PIN is unique to each device, and cannot change. Did you report that device as stolen when you called recently? They shouldn't allow a stolen device on their network.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
parttimemagicalbean

I told O2 that the device was stolen the day after it happened but never formally reported it to the police. The guy I spoke to at O2 checked the IMEI number and then stated it had stayed inactive but couldn't see why the bb pin would still be active so suggested that I post in here to see if anyone knew anything about this?
Old 10-31-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
fourstringfuror

He's wrong.

There are lots of people here with advice, and we might be able to help, but I'd be angry if a rep told me to solve my problem by going to a message board.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
parttimemagicalbean

Oh right. He told me on the phone to search for 'Blackberry Forum' through Google and would then be able to get in contact with RIM directly. Obviously this didn't work so I went to RIM's official website, found an email address and sent them a query, but then received an instant reply stating:

"Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Technical Support. The email you submitted has not been delivered. Please find many alternative support options below.

Are you a BlackBerry Partner or Carrier?
If you are a BlackBerry Partner or Carrier and have a carrier code please contact your partner Support Account Manager as you incorrectly received this message.

Self-Help Options:
BlackBerry Technical Solution Center. All BlackBerry smartphone users have free access to the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center a repository of support information and documentation, with enhanced search capabilities. Easily search for and find the BlackBerry support information you need.

BlackBerry Support Community Forums. Get your questions answered, and participate in discussions on BlackBerry products and services. Visit the BlackBerry Community Support Forum to get started."

..aaaaand I dont understand this!
Old 11-01-2012, 05:49 AM   #6
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by parttimemagicalbean View Post

BlackBerry Support Community Forums. Get your questions answered, and participate in discussions on BlackBerry products and services. Visit the BlackBerry Community Support Forum to get started."
General Support Forums - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
Old 11-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
fourstringfuror

I see. Well, this message board isn't tied to BlackBerry or RIM at all. We're just a community of users who may or may not have all the answers.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Sadly RIM seems to value users less and less.
Closed Thread