Old 09-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
JakeKole
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: o2
Default BES upgrade 4.1 to 5.?

Please Login to Remove!

Currently have a one server setup with BES 4.1 and SQL 2000. I would like to upgrade by creating a new BES on windows 2008 r2 standard and use our sql server for the database which runs SQL 2005. I am in the process of reading the bes installation and configuration guide. I also found a useful KB that details how to move the database to the sql server.

1) When would be the best time in the update process to update the database instance to 2005 sp3? I would guess that it has to be done before it is restored. But ideally I would prefer to not update the existing instance as 4.1 might not be compatible. Is there a more effective way to do it?

2) I received a download of bes version 5.02 but I have noticed that bes 5.4 is available. But when I go to the download section for BES on blackberry website there are many versions that are available for update, is there a list of a quick update route including all the roll ups and what order they must be installed? Why is there not a 5.04 full release available for download?

thanks
Old 09-04-2012, 04:27 AM   #2
freakinvibe
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Class
Carrier: Swisscom
Default Re: BES upgrade 4.1 to 5.?

1) I would setup a fresh BES on the new server with an empty DB (SQL2005). Then use the Transporter tool to move users over.

2) There is BES Full and BES Express (BES Express is free of charge). Which one are you using?
Old 09-04-2012, 06:01 AM   #3
JakeKole

Thanks for the prompt reply. There was a bit of a mixup with the licensing. We had a bes 4.1 license which is full and requested via our supplier for an upgrade and I did mention to him that it was free but he said it was not. He then purchased the bes 5 full upgrade (this is obviously so he continues to get money via the user cal purchases) So i still might go back to him and try and switch to express version. But apart from the extra IT policy there does not appear to be any reason to not go with the free version, is that correct?

It is only a small firm with 60 blackberry users but at this point we might be stuck with the full version due to the licensing mix up. The firm has a lot of money so if there was any reason to justify to them to go with the full version they would do it as blackberry are very important aspect of their business.

If i go from bes 4.1 full to 5 express using the transporter tool how will that affect the user cals? Will they convert to free ones automatically? I have found the transporter documentation and will give that a read.

Last edited by JakeKole; 09-04-2012 at 06:06 AM..
Old 09-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
freakinvibe

Quote:
But apart from the extra IT policy there does not appear to be any reason to not go with the free version, is that correct?
There are other differences like high availability, editing of roles, wireless activation etc.

See the comparison chart here:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/service..._021610_v3.pdf
Old 09-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
JakeKole

It turns out we ordered bes express but the initial order confirmation email never said express so I assumed it was for the full version and the guy said it was not free. But the file name on the download is besx503, which is the bes express version. Sorry for the confusion.

I will now set up a besx server along side the old one and then move the users across with the transporter tool. As the besx was processed through our cal supplier I would assume that means the user cals will be moved across automatically.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

BES Express 5 is free for 2000 users.

Are you sure its express? the x in the file name means Exchange.

Transporter does not move CAls, you have to do that part if going to full BES 5
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
freakinvibe

knotty is right. Besx means "BES for Exchange" (i.e. not BES for Lotus Notes or BES for Groupwise), so you might have received the full BES.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
JakeKole

OK it turns out that the distributor has managed to get bes 5 full for no charge. Not sure how he managed that I won't be complaining

Now I am just in the process of creating a new server and will be using the bes transport tool.

I have got as far as the CAL and SRP configuration screen. I have been reading some forums to see how other people did it but there has been some different responses.

1) is there a way to make sure that all our cals will work in bes 5 as i heard about some free ones that might not work. I think we might have got some free ones at some stage. cant say for sure.

2) I have read that there can be some issues with copying the CAL over because they are already in use in the old server. I read some people were using trial CAL until all users were moved across, do you have any more info on this and suggestion, we have 75 cals and 70 in use.

3) In the CAL option during set up there is only one field for CAL but we have about 20 cals some 5 some 1 some 20 etc. Not sure which one to use.

4) srp information (ident and auth key), can i just copy that directly from the 4.1 options and paste it in to the configuration page. I am still updating our firewall nat to the new bes lan ip so can't use the verify button yet.

Is there any problems in using the same service account that was used in the 4.1 server? I thought it may easier that way as all permissions should already be set up. I ran the IEMSTest.exe on a temp account that does not have a bes account setup and all the tests passed ok except:

Temp User 5: No Send As permission for the {domain\besadmin} account operator.
Temp User 5: Configuring User... failed

I checked the send as permission on the temp5 account and besadmin has send as permission. Is this just a glitch ?

Was there any changes from 4.1 to 5 for the service account that would need updating. I read the upgrade guide regarding permissions and double checked them but not sure about this send as failed test.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeKole View Post
OK it turns out that the distributor has managed to get bes 5 full for no charge. Not sure how he managed that I won't be complaining

Now I am just in the process of creating a new server and will be using the bes transport tool.

I have got as far as the CAL and SRP configuration screen. I have been reading some forums to see how other people did it but there has been some different responses.

1) is there a way to make sure that all our cals will work in bes 5 as i heard about some free ones that might not work. I think we might have got some free ones at some stage. cant say for sure.

2) I have read that there can be some issues with copying the CAL over because they are already in use in the old server. I read some people were using trial CAL until all users were moved across, do you have any more info on this and suggestion, we have 75 cals and 70 in use.

3) In the CAL option during set up there is only one field for CAL but we have about 20 cals some 5 some 1 some 20 etc. Not sure which one to use.

4) srp information (ident and auth key), can i just copy that directly from the 4.1 options and paste it in to the configuration page. I am still updating our firewall nat to the new bes lan ip so can't use the verify button yet.

Is there any problems in using the same service account that was used in the 4.1 server? I thought it may easier that way as all permissions should already be set up. I ran the IEMSTest.exe on a temp account that does not have a bes account setup and all the tests passed ok except:

Temp User 5: No Send As permission for the {domain\besadmin} account operator.
Temp User 5: Configuring User... failed

I checked the send as permission on the temp5 account and besadmin has send as permission. Is this just a glitch ?

Was there any changes from 4.1 to 5 for the service account that would need updating. I read the upgrade guide regarding permissions and double checked them but not sure about this send as failed test.
1 If they dont work you have to call RIM
2 RIM uses honor system for CALs. I think you heard about SRP being used twice.
3 Type in all of them that you own.
4 You can use the same SRP and auth from old BES if you upgrade it in place. With a new one you might need the new SRP which RIm provides upon upgrade.

You can re use the BESadmin account. Did you add the user to BES yet?
It doesn't even matter

Old 09-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #10
JakeKole

Ok thanks.

I am doing a new server installation then using the transporter tool but i did not see any SRP information from RIM when being offered the download link from the distributor. I will ask the distributor if they have the information or can get it from RIM.

I have followed the pre installation tasks in the documentation as if it was a new service account even though it was already existing and gone over everything. I have not had any problems so far but was just unsure about that message on the test tool.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

If they gave you just the installer, then you have to do an inplace upgrade or move users over in Bulk mode.
It doesn't even matter

Old 09-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #12
JakeKole

That is disappointing, i was hoping to have some time to test before moving all the users across as it is my first bes upgrade. I was also hoping to be able to do it without any downtime. My distributor said he is going to try and get new SRP information, but on the order email this is what it listed as the product:

Blackberry Enterprise Server 5.0 for Exchange - Version Upgrade

So you may be right about it being an upgrade and being limited in options.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #13
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeKole View Post
That is disappointing, i was hoping to have some time to test before moving all the users across as it is my first bes upgrade. I was also hoping to be able to do it without any downtime. My distributor said he is going to try and get new SRP information, but on the order email this is what it listed as the product:

Blackberry Enterprise Server 5.0 for Exchange - Version Upgrade

So you may be right about it being an upgrade and being limited in options.
Why is it disappointing? You got the upgrade for free.

If you want better help pay for RIM T support to assist you, get the upgrades and get a Migration kit which will allow you to do what you want in bringing up a new server and fully testing it before hand.
It doesn't even matter

Old 09-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #14
JakeKole

Well maybe disappointed is the wrong word. I got it for free and i am glad about that and appreciate your help. :D

Ok it looks like I need a migration kit then, ill speak to the distributor.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #15
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Only RIM can get you a Migration kit if you have T support.

Other option if you have a spare box or VM is to use BES Express 5 as a middle man of the migration. it requires two transports but it does work. basically move to BES express and then move back to BES full.
It doesn't even matter

Old 11-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #16
Shootist

Model: 9930
Carrier: VZW

Does this process require a wipe and re-activation of all the devices? I just got an email back from their support telling that I have to wipe and re-activate?! I had never seen that in the other forums.
If that is true; is there a method to go from 4.1.4 to 5.0.4 (even incrimentally) that will allow me to NOT touch the devices?
Old 11-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #17
freakinvibe

No re-activation and no wipe should be necessary. Neither for an inplace upgrade nor for a phased transporter migration.

I guess support is wrong or there is a misunderstanding.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #18
JakeKole

I have migrated 60 users over from bes 4.1 to bes 5.04 without a hitch. Once you have the temporary SRP you are ready to go.

I installed bes 5 in a new 2008 r2 vm and put the db on our dedicated sql server. The migration could not have gone smoother, the client was very impressed with the zero interruption.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #19
JakeKole

I have now finally moved all users from 4.1 to 5 and I would like to replace the temporary SRP information with the original SRP information found on the 4.1. I have stopped all services on the 4.1 BES and I am ready to change the SRP on the 5.04.

1) how long does it take for the SRP information to be free'ed after stopping services on the 4.1 server?

edit: i was impatient and did it after 15 mins and all seems to be ok. Thanks again for your help on this.

Last edited by JakeKole; 12-06-2012 at 08:24 AM..
Old 12-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #20
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

dont reboot BES for 4 hours until all users have contacted it
It doesn't even matter

Closed Thread