BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
miawahlum

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att
Default Att service books stay till radio turned on???

Please Login to Remove!

I followed the tutorial on how to get all the features to work on att network (mms/sms/internet browser) and on the final reboot all the att browser and other icons were there. 10 seconds later they all dissappeared. I tried the same thing again this time with the radio turned off and wala!, they all stayed in place. Of course the phone was useless with the radio turned off, so I crossed my fingers and turned the radio on, and a few seconds later once the radio was on, whamo! they all dissappeared again. I see what is happening but why? Thanks in advance for any help with this issue
Old 04-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile
Default Re: Att service books stay till radio turned on???

Do you actually have a blackberry data plan activated on your account?

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 04-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

AT&T requires a BlackBerry data plan on all BlackBerrys. If you don't have one on your account AT&T will simply add it. And bill you for it, of course.

If you don't want a BlackBerry data plan there are other phones that will work much better for you. Unless you insist on the BlackBerry logo for the "bling factor", you can buy pretty much any unlocked GSM phone.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Where did you get the info on how to set up the BB from ATT?
I agree with the above, ATT finds the type of phone and if the plan does not agree with the service you have they block most items for use.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
miawahlum

I dont have a Blackberry Data plan, however, I used my daughters sim card from her Blackberry Torch which of course she has a att data plan. I do get a message that the phone is registered with the network. I agree with Rambo47 but I got the phone new for almost nothing unlocked. It runs on lower case edge which only gives me phone and text. When my daughters card is in it displays edge in all capital letters indicating all features are available except 3g of course.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Then it is running properly. AT&T will catch up with you and add a Data Plan unilaterally. Then the service books will stick.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #7
miawahlum

How would they add a data plan? Im using my daughters sim in the phone and she already has a data plan. Im only using her sim card to get all the features working. I used the widely spread tutorial on how to do it which was..

Removed the daemon file.
Open DM to intall the new att service books
Then reinstalled the daemon file.

Like I said all the att icons were there but then dissappeared when connecting to the network. This was done with the sim card from the Torch with an active data plan. Of course I put her sim back in her phone. It was only borrowed for the purpose of installing the service books. Im on the old plan that allows a smartphone on att without a data plan. I had the Blackjack 2 back then. boy what a phone. I got 5 bars no matter where I was, even deep in a hospital. Good phone should of kept it.

Im goofing around with the phone to see if I can get all the features working before I upgrade to the 15 dollar data plan, but I can never go back to my old plan once I switch....
Old 04-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
adperdue
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: wheel
Carrier: ATT

Your smartphone plan will need to be switched to a BB specific data plan before all the BB features will work with your sim. Until then, your BB will be without data.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 04-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #9
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

They aren't "sticking" because as soon as the network connects it goes "no data plan, remove service books".

You need the blackberry data plan.

At&T add the data plan by sweeping their IMEI system. When they find an IMEI that belongs to a blackberry, that isn't on a blackberry data plan, they add that plan automatically.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 04-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
miawahlum

MidnightDraven,
I understand what your saying and it makes perfect sense, but the phone connects with my daughters sim card installed which has an active data plan, why would they pull the books?.

My current plan (sim card) allows a smartphone without a data plan, and Im sure there dying to have me upgrade plans so it would be one less person on the old plan.

Are you saying that it wont allow my IMEI for full use on the network even though I get a message saying the phone is registered with the network?

Thanks for all your help.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #11
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

I don't think it was clear that the service books are disappearing when using your daughters sim card.
Originally it sounded as though you were loading them, and then using your sim card.

Unless you use the change device option in your daughters BIS account, the phone will delete the service books, because once connected it realises that the sim card is attached to a BIS account with a different registered BB.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #12
miawahlum

Got it. That makes sense now.
Thanks.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #13
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

ATT loves to find Blackberrys that do not have a BB Specific Data plan. And they do simply add it to the plan you have now. You may be better off talking to them and making sure you have the plan you want and not one they select. They no longer offer unlimited plans so be careful what you do select.
Closed Thread