Old 02-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
orenstore

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: movistar
Default some newbie doubts about blackberry 9780

Please Login to Remove!

first of all, hello,

i'm thinking about buying a blackberry 9780 (is that the "bold 2"? the "onyx"?). and i would like to know some things

- multimedia, and specially listening to music. i have a music library in itunes with a lot of music for which I paid. they're not in mp3 (they're in the apple format, .m4r or something like that). would it be necessary to convert ALL my library? is there any software which allow me to synchronize automatically the music between my BB and itunes? so, any tips regarding listening to music would be very preciated

so far I had an iPhone, but since 50% of its use was because of listening to music (ipod mode), and the other 50% was mainly for email and whatsapp.

- about the BB OS: i know the 9780 comes with OS 6.0. by the time 6.1 comes out, will it be possible to update the 9780 to the newest version?

- about the gps: i'm used to the google maps gps (iOS). which maps us the BB OS?

to sum up: do you think the BB is made for me (a guy who uses its phone for listening to music, mailing, some web browsing, texting... NO video gaming), or I should keep using my iphone?

thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited by orenstore; 02-08-2011 at 03:36 PM..
Old 02-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: some newbie doubts about blackberry 9780

My opinion, your biggest concern is media, and BlackBerry media features are far behind the competition, and you are very likely to be unhappy with a BlackBerry. I expect you will find other drawbacks. That's not to say the product doesn't have it's good points; I'm just guessing it won't be a good fit for you.

Someone will answer you question about file conversions. But in the mean time, browse blackberryfaq.com and pay attention to the general articles near the top and the articles on BIS and email.

Also spend some time browsing the forum. Click on newest posts and just skim down. Pay attention to posts by newbies that are along the lines of, "How do I...?"

Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Last edited by aiharkness; 02-08-2011 at 03:59 PM..
Old 02-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I agree with the above concerning the music aspect. The iPhone and probably Androids as well, are far superior to the BB. Remember then BB was and still is a business device.

As for OS 6.1, your guess is as good as anyone else's at this point if it will be compatible or not. Very little has been released about an OS 6.1 and what is out there is all rumor and conjecture. IMHO, however, if the device isn't broken, there is no real need to try to fix it with a new OS or an upgrade.

You can use Google Maps with the BB. BBMaps is on all BBs but some carriers (AT&T for one) block it.

Bottom line - since you are more of a consumer user, keep the iPhone.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 02-09-2011, 12:40 AM   #4
Howard S.
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: AT&T

It sounds like the iPhone is a good fit for your needs. Curious as to why you're thinking of changing to Blackberry?
Old 02-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #5
bbeaupre

Model: 9780
Carrier: Rogers

Hi,
I use to have a Blackberry Bold 9000, I got rid of it for an iPhone 4, I love everything about the iPhone exept two thing;
1- Without a bumoer or a case or if I would hold it with my left hand, the communication would stop.
2- I REALLY miss my blackberry keyboard.

I have been on Mac computer for a long time and I also have been on Blackberry since they were pagers, the day Apple comes out with a phone with a real keyboard it will be another story.

So, I got rid of the iPhone4 and got a new Bold 9780, I can tell you that I do synchronize all my iTunes music that I purchase from Apple and it does work on my Bold 9780, like it used to work on the Bold 9000, mind you, the music interface is not as pretty and well done as the iPod touch or the iPhone but it WORKS.

I wish Blackberry would stop selling their phone without memory and or without a good headset, they are expensive for what you get, to me it is the perfect phone/email combination but if they want to get more 'general' king of people that like to listen to music, take pictures or video etc.. they will have to work harder on the multimedia interface and a Blackberry with a 16 gig on board would be nice!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
davidA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by orenstore View Post

so far I had an iPhone, but since 50% of its use was because of listening to music (ipod mode), and the other 50% was mainly for email and whatsapp.
Although I don't know as much about Blackberry devices as others posting here, I do know (and am firmly convinced) that Blackberry is a far superior device to any other (on the market) for processing email. If you are looking for a superlative email experience (and email is your primary concern) do not let anyone talk you out of buying a Blackberry... is my advice....

And welcome to the forums
Old 02-10-2011, 02:59 AM   #7
yahjoogooleh
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by orenstore View Post
first of all, hello,

i'm thinking about buying a blackberry 9780 (is that the "bold 2"? the "onyx"?). and i would like to know some things

- multimedia, and specially listening to music. i have a music library in itunes with a lot of music for which I paid. they're not in mp3 (they're in the apple format, .m4r or something like that). would it be necessary to convert ALL my library? is there any software which allow me to synchronize automatically the music between my BB and itunes? so, any tips regarding listening to music would be very preciated

- about the BB OS: i know the 9780 comes with OS 6.0. by the time 6.1 comes out, will it be possible to update the 9780 to the newest version?

- about the gps: i'm used to the google maps gps (iOS). which maps us the BB OS?

to sum up: do you think the BB is made for me (a guy who uses its phone for listening to music, mailing, some web browsing, texting... NO video gaming), or I should keep using my iphone?

thanks a lot in advance.
Everything you just said is exactly what I use my 9700 for. I'm not entirely sure about the converting itunes files to mp3's but I'm very happy with my bb. I haven't had another smart phone so I guess you could say I'm being bias .
Old 02-10-2011, 03:50 AM   #8
joginder
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Passp
Carrier: ATT

In my opinion BB was never designed as music centric device. I have BB since 2001 and still love it and fullfills all of my music/video requirements because it plays Y-Tube and streaming audio videos and I am very happy with the battery life and its "one handed" device and has a real keyboard and top of everything it is task oriented.

For music lovers there is still iPhone but for everyone else BB is best in my opinion. I own BB and a Nokia E72 in two pockets and would not drop the BB.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
anar_baku
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Vodafone
Thumbs up Re: some newbie doubts about blackberry 9780

No Bold 2 is 9700. 9780 is new version of 9700. Regarding your question on the ability to upgrade the OS - yes of course you will be able to do this easily. Just go to the 9780 forum on this website for instructions.

In terms of BB vs. iPhone. Which one is more suitable for you depends on your needs. To me iPhone is a media phone (best for browsing, music, video) while BB is the ultimate communication tool (e-mail, messenger, writing, etc). What is more of a priority to you? Personally, I can't stand touch-screens, especially on a smaller device like a mobile phone. I am someone who really appreciates efficiency on a phone and iPhone can't beat BB on that front. I'm always on the move, need to respond to e-mails quickly, sometimes with one hand. I need to be able to find my old e-mails fast and move quickly between applications. And I use BBM quite heavily. For these reasons BB is ideal for me.

With regards to the music - to be honest listening to music on the move is a fairly straightforward function, so I can't see how iPhone is far superior in that respect (except for maybe ease of sync with iTunes). Do you really need advanced functionality from your mobile music player??? Play, Stop, Pause, Next, etc is pretty much all you need. On BB you can find music by following categories: Artist, Album, Genres and you can create playlists. YOu can quickly search by keywords. There is also good artwork support. Sound quality is pretty good. Do you really need more?
Old 02-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #10
TruBloo

Model: 8900
PIN: 24B15582
Carrier: T-Mobile

I can't speak with any personal experience for the iPhone, and maybe my "multimedia needs" are more straightforward than most, but I just came back to using my 8900 after having had a few Android phones.

Being able to use an older phone, and still be able to listen to music AND text AND browse the web instead of the music skipping whenever the phone has something to think about creates a very enjoyable experience. I also seem to be able to navigate through my music collection more quickly than I was able to on my android devices.

Just my thoughts on the matter!
Closed Thread