BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 12:11 AM   #1
Reikisue

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone
Default Alarm clock too easily accidentally turned off as snooze/dismiss options are to close

Please Login to Remove!

Hi

I'm sure i can't be the only one but i am having problems with my BB Bold 9780 alarm clock in that when the alarm goes off the snooze and dismiss options on the screen are too close together and in my sleepy state i accidentally knock the trackerpad (which is quite skippy) to click on dismiss instead of snooze and then whoops i oversleep! So far I have only found one other person having same issue back in 2008! and yet I'm sure millions of other people must do the same thing (at least with my old nokia 6600 that never happened) I noticed back in 2008 that someone suggested using the spacebar instead of tracker pad as it was easier to hit the right option however - on my BB bold 9780 this suggestion didn't work at all.

I have just downloaded an alarm clock app for a free 7 day trial but that offers the same screen set up with the snooze and dismiss too near each other! and having tested it still open to same errors! Very silly design - all it needs is for one to be moved to the top and one at the bottom of the screen and problem should be solved, as less easy to accidentally click/slip on wrong one! ugghh

Now had to buy another physical alarm clock just to ensure i wake up without any problems!

So i was wondering if anyone had come up with any solutions since 2008! lol

Cheers
Sue

Last edited by Reikisue; 01-23-2011 at 12:17 AM..
Old 01-23-2011, 03:32 AM   #2
AdyT
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: Orange
Default Re: Alarm clock too easily accidentally turned off as snooze/dismiss options are to c

Lol, spot on. Overslept the other day because of the very same reason. Hit the button,thinking its the snooze but chose dismiss. Woke up 2 hours later and very late for work. Easy to do when you just wake up.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 01-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Alarm clock too easily accidentally turned off as snooze/dismiss options are to c

I'll agree you have to pay attention and be careful.

For what it's worth -- and you aren't going to like this -- I've had my 9700 crash twice. It has been a long time, but nonetheless it happened. I wouldn't rely on the BlackBerry alarm clock when it really matters.

I believe setting a backup alarm is the smart thing to do if you absolutely must be on time. A small, loud, standalone alarmclock is good to have, even nowadays.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:42 AM   #4
AdyT

I use a backup now. My wifes iPhone ! Lol
Old 01-25-2011, 06:45 AM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Watch out that iphone doesn't change time setting without warning.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
AdyT

^ oh! Forgot about that one. Any probs with HTC? Lol. ;)
Old 01-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
Reikisue

Carrier: vodafone

Thanks - well yes i'm onto my third standby alarm clock in as many weeks trying to find the right one - still seems ridiculous! Even the new alarm clock app didn't go off today as it should have done!

How do we communicate our frustrations to BB for them to look at redesigning things/tweaking designs etc??? it is literally just a question of spreading the two click-on alarm clock options further apart! Simples!

Cheers
Reiki Sue x
Old 01-29-2011, 09:46 AM   #8
stevew
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile

Don't think it's on the top of RIM's list of priorities for OS6 enhancements...

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 01-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #9
sid_kid
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reikisue View Post
it is literally just a question of spreading the two click-on alarm clock options further apart! Simples!
Just wanted to point out that even if they spread the options further apart on the screen, the trackpad will still jump from one option to another just as if they were right next to each other. The only solution that I could figure is requiring some sort of a two button combination to disable the alarm, with a single click from the trackpad activating the snooze function.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:24 PM   #10
stevew

Or just use an alarm clock --

The more they enhance a product, the more useless complaints they get about things like this...

I'm more concerned about real BlackBerry functionality/productivity over the "snooze" feature on the alarm clock. I use it was well, and have never had issues with the snooze feature.

It rings, I wake up, look at the screen, slide my finger over the trackpad to "snooze" and click...it's that simple.

Wow.

Previously owned:
Old 02-01-2011, 07:48 AM   #11
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I think this is just one of those different-strokes-for-different-folks issues. Personally, I think the snooze feature was a horrible idea on an alarm clock. And there are numerous complaints on the board about the calendar reminder not providing the user the facility to "snooze" the reminder for any time period desired. Set the alarm or reminder for the time you have to get up or act, and be done with it! But that's me.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #12
mchards

Carrier: T-Mobile

I had this happen this morning--luckily I woke up about 30 minutes after it went off after I accidentally dismissed it.

Obviously, the Enter key would work as Snooze is highlighted when the dialog comes up. I was hoping the mute button would do that--seemed like an obvious functionality. After playing around, pressing the Menu key selects Snooze as well. I've found the Menu key works to select a menu item all around, most notably on the home screen when you press it once and the highlighted menu item is Open Tray. So two quick presses of the Menu key and you can open (or close) a tray.

I think for critical situations in the future (like a 5:25 am flight tomorrow), I'll create a backup alarm in the calendar.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:48 AM   #13
FrancescoZZ

Model: 8520
Carrier: Vodafone

Yeah, I agree, they should make something like answer button is stop, and decline button is snooze (or vice versa)
Also it really annoys me how once you go to options->set alarm you have to also set the alarm to "On", especially due to the imprecise nature of the trackpad. I wish that on the set alarm screen, the alarm would be turned on automatically by pressing the middle button, and the operation would be cancelled by pressing the back button.
I guess I'm just used to the good old, standard Nokias. It really frustrates me that in so many aspects a phone that is 10 years old is more practical than one which is so new.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #14
GQBalla
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Bell

what you guys need to do is download Puzzed (no i did not create this)
I use the stock one to wake my up half an hour before im supposed to get up than Puzzed takes over.

You can set it so you either have to type out the sentence it brings up or answer some math questions.

Doesn't turn off till you answer correctly or match the sentence or battery pull
Old 07-05-2011, 05:10 AM   #15
orga

Carrier: Vodafone

Just use the unlock/lock button at top and it snoozes.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #16
stevew

Interesting...I never knew that,

Previously owned:
Closed Thread