Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
flippedout

Model: 8230
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Reoccurring problem with Pearl flip 8230

Please Login to Remove!

I have a 8230 pearl flip that has been replaced 3 times due to the same problem. I will be receiving phone #4 today and do not want the same problem to show up with this phone. The first phone had the battery die off after about an hour after taking it off charge. If I put it back on charge and let it charge even partially, it would be OK for the rest of the day.

I finally had to buy a car charger because the phone died one day while I was on business and did not have the wall charger. The phone was charging but very slowly. I was finally able to get the wall charger and it still was not charging properly. I took the phone to Verizon where they informed me that nothing was wrong with the battery but that the phone had to be replaced.

When I got the replacement, I booted it up with the old phone info on my BlackBerry desktop manager. Within a week, it started showing the same symptoms and soon died completely and would not take a charge at all. I took the phone to Verizon and told them the battery was bad. Again they assurred me that the battery was good and the phone needed to be replaced.

When that replacement came I booted it as I had done the last one. It too began to show the same symptoms and soon died off while on charge on the wall charger within three weeks of receiving it. I again took it back to Verizon where I was told that the battery was bad and needed to be replaced. The problem with that is on the previous visit to Verizon, the tech put in a new battery and that was how he knew the battery was not the problem.

The manager then informed me that the only replacement batteries they have are blue not yellow. So she ordered me a new battery and a replacement phone because my current phone would not respond on their system.

I was then informed that the problem was probably because of the aftermarket car charger. I reminded her that the problem started before I bought the car charger and that I only use the car charger after the battery dies off within an hour, and then after using the car charger, the phone works fine for a couple of days.

Could this possibly be a virus since the exact same problem occurred on two replacement phones as the original? If so, is there a way to download only my contact info from the deskmanager from my original phone?

Last edited by flippedout; 02-04-2010 at 11:50 AM..
Old 02-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
flippedout

I just received the new battery from FEDEX but not the phone. I tried the battery in my current phone with no luck. Just wanted to add that info.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

You should edit your post to break it up into paragraphs, you won't get much help if people can't read it, just a heads up.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
fratts
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: TBayTEL

I find it very hard to beleive that 4 different batteries, and four different phones will do the same thing, there must be something that remained constant.

For example have you been using the same wall and car chargers to charge each phone? If so, I bet one of those are to blame, and are causing damage to either the phone or the battery or both.

Maybe try replacing the chargers.

I dunno just a thought.

As for the backing up just your contacts, open DM, goto backup and restore, click on Advanced, and move whatever you want backed up from the column on the right to the column on the left. Click on the Back button and it will ask you where you want to save the ipd file and what name you wonna give it.

Then to restore the contacts, just do a restore the same as you normally would but making sure you choose the correct file.

Last edited by fratts; 02-04-2010 at 11:38 AM..
Old 02-04-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
flippedout

Is that better? I do not usually use forums and when I do, it's from my laptop.

I still have not received the new phone and my Pearl flip is totally dead.

Last edited by flippedout; 02-04-2010 at 11:51 AM..
Old 02-04-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
flippedout

Thanks fratts. I could not remember how to get over to that part of the DM.

I may try a new wall charger, because that is the charger I usually use and that is the one it dies off on.

Last edited by flippedout; 02-04-2010 at 11:51 AM..
Old 02-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
scottjb
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I'm with fratts, it has to be the charger. I'm surprised Verizon didn't give you one after replacing three phones.
Closed Thread