Old 12-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
jbum
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Bold 9700 Phone - Full Duplex?

Please Login to Remove!

Well, I should be more specific and say is the speakerphone on this phone full duplex. I have experience what appears to be half duplex behavior talking to someone on an iphone (ATT network) and a regular dumb phone on T-Mobile.

Both instances, the other person cannot really hear me when I interrupt them while they are talking. If they are continuously talking without pauses, no matter what I do (scream, yell, etc.) they are oblivious to me... Only because of short pauses do I get through to make them realize I'm talking to them.

Of couse in the normal conversation, this doesn't show up as much as we're "exchanging" dialogue rather than spewing out a monologue.

I don't know if this happens without the speakerphone on.

Has anyone else seen this happen? It's really annoying. It can't be the phone because I know it's supposed to be full duplex capable.

What's causing this?
Old 12-26-2009, 10:48 PM   #2
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Pretty sure it is full duplex.

I don't have one so not sure of this issue. Maybe someone with a 9700 can chime in.

Last edited by zerog46; 12-26-2009 at 10:49 PM..
Old 12-27-2009, 12:09 AM   #3
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Wirelessly posted (White and Nerdy)

I have the 9700. I haven't noticed a problem with duplex
Old 12-27-2009, 03:54 AM   #4
palomartian
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: ched off BBM, gained 3MB
Carrier: att

The last half duplex pos I knew of was Nextel. Might still suck for all I know.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:25 PM   #5
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Full duplex usually needs to be supported on both ends of the convo, no?
Old 12-27-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
xciton

Carrier: WIND Mobile Canada

I highly doubt the 9700 speakphone is full duplex audio (I could be wrong, but I haven't read anything yet to say it has it).

Full duplex is difficult to do, most manufactures will use a dedicated DSP to handle the echo cancellation.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:39 PM   #7
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

BlackBerry 9700 Specs - T-Mobile Community

Yes is does have full duplex.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:13 PM   #8
pinhead

PIN: 30EC5097
Carrier: T-Mobile

It does not seem to allow me to interrupt someone who is speaking. In fact, I have not owned a BlackBerry that has allowed me to speak and be heard on the other end while the other party is still speaking. They simply will not get the audio unless they are not speaking at the time. This only appears to happen when on speakerphone. If "full duplex" is supposed to mean full two way audio (simultaneously) not one BlackBerry I have owned has ever allowed for it and it is frustrating.

This includes the 8700, 8800, 8820, 8310, 8320, 9530, 8120, 8900, 9550, 9520, and 9700.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:45 PM   #9
lovescakemix

Model: 9900
PIN: 2800d27f
Carrier: tmobile

i don't know why having speakerphone would change to half duplex.
i know when i talk to my bank or even 611 on speakerphone and they are in the middle of one of their speeches, i can interrupt them and never had someone not able to hear me while they are talking
Old 12-28-2009, 07:36 AM   #10
Flare3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers, Telus, Orange

All the BlackBerry's I've ever used that had a speaker phone; the speaker phone was always half duplex. The handset was full duplex. The real place I find this an issue is when the other party is in a loud environment. Doesn't matter if they stop speaking because the background noise prevents them from hearing my side.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:21 PM   #11
wayneholbrook

Model: 9000
PIN: 20D214AB
Carrier: AT&T

What is full duplex? educate me damn it!
Old 12-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #12
Blackfryar
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9780
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneholbrook View Post
What is full duplex? educate me damn it!
Good question mate.....just what I was thinking!
Old 12-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #13
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

"Duplex" simply means you're able to send and receive data (most often the human voice) from the same device whether that be with your phone, 2-way radio, or PC.

Half-duplex devices let you send and receive, but only one-way at a time. If you've ever used a walkie-talkie, then you know what half-duplex conversations sound like. You have to push the TALK button to send your message. But as long as you are holding the TALK key, you can't hear what anyone else is saying. You must release the button to receive.

That's the big problem with the old-fashioned speakerphone: it's only a step up from a walkie-talkie. In essence, it pushes a virtual TALK button every time you start to speak and cuts off the person on the other end. When you've finished speaking, the speakerphone then transmits what the person on the other end is saying. Those cut-off sentences and stop-start conversations can be frustrating to say the least. Two-way radio etiquette has you saying "over" when you're finished speaking so whoever's on the other end knows they can begin speaking. Can you imagine having to do the same on all your business calls?

Enter full duplex
Actually, full duplex is nothing new. In fact, you already know exactly what it sounds like. Your corded or cordless phones are full-duplex devices letting you and your caller speak simultaneously without any dropouts in either one of your voices.

It's when you use a hands-free speakerphone that you really appreciate full duplex. Conventional speakerphones must shut the speaker off when the mic is activated so as not to pick up your caller's voice and transmit it along with yours causing an echo effect. When you speak, you can't hear what your caller is saying. This problem is really compounded if both of you are using conventional speakerphones. A full-duplex device digitizes the signal coming out of its speaker (your caller's voice). It then edits this info out of the signal it's transmitting (your voice) using a built-in digital processor similar to those found in PCs. This eliminates echo effect and more importantly, does away with the on-off mic/speaker dilemma. Full-duplex devices do all of this virtually instantaneously so your calls sound natural and free-flowing. It's this technology that differentiates high-end conferencing systems from ordinary, half-duplex speakerphones.

Last edited by zerog46; 12-29-2009 at 01:50 PM..
Old 12-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #14
wayneholbrook

Model: 9000
PIN: 20D214AB
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog46 View Post
"Duplex" simply means you're able to send and receive data (most often the human voice) from the same device whether that be with your phone, 2-way radio, or PC.

Half-duplex devices let you send and receive, but only one-way at a time. If you've ever used a walkie-talkie, then you know what half-duplex conversations sound like. You have to push the TALK button to send your message. But as long as you are holding the TALK key, you can't hear what anyone else is saying. You must release the button to receive.

That's the big problem with the old-fashioned speakerphone: it's only a step up from a walkie-talkie. In essence, it pushes a virtual TALK button every time you start to speak and cuts off the person on the other end. When you've finished speaking, the speakerphone then transmits what the person on the other end is saying. Those cut-off sentences and stop-start conversations can be frustrating to say the least. Two-way radio etiquette has you saying "over" when you're finished speaking so whoever's on the other end knows they can begin speaking. Can you imagine having to do the same on all your business calls?

Enter full duplex
Actually, full duplex is nothing new. In fact, you already know exactly what it sounds like. Your corded or cordless phones are full-duplex devices letting you and your caller speak simultaneously without any dropouts in either one of your voices.

It's when you use a hands-free speakerphone that you really appreciate full duplex. Conventional speakerphones must shut the speaker off when the mic is activated so as not to pick up your caller's voice and transmit it along with yours causing an echo effect. When you speak, you can't hear what your caller is saying. This problem is really compounded if both of you are using conventional speakerphones. A full-duplex device digitizes the signal coming out of its speaker (your caller's voice). It then edits this info out of the signal it's transmitting (your voice) using a built-in digital processor similar to those found in PCs. This eliminates echo effect and more importantly, does away with the on-off mic/speaker dilemma. Full-duplex devices do all of this virtually instantaneously so your calls sound natural and free-flowing. It's this technology that differentiates high-end conferencing systems from ordinary, half-duplex speakerphones.
WOW! When I said "educate me" you werent messing around! That is some good stuff. Now I feel good!