Old 08-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
TheLizardFish
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Data service availability to send trouble ticket notifications

Please Login to Remove!

I work for a local hospital where IT technical support runs around the clock. We use the BlackBerry as a way of receiving help-desk ticket notifications on related IT issues that need immediate resolution on a 24/7 call rotation.

Were rolling out handheld software soon that will be using the Mobile Data Service on the BES for all help-desk ticket notifications sent to the BlackBerry. Im trying to find out if there is anything, within normal operations that may potentially block or prohibit this service from reaching the BlackBerry if even for a short period of time?

Ive heard reports from users unable to access company intranet sites that function through the MDS in the middle of the night, but the next morning they could and everything was fine. Is there any kind of maintenance the BES runs or RIM runs on the BES late at night that may possibly cause this to happen? I thought perhaps the MDS Connection had stopped, but this was not the case as there is no record of this service stopping.

Can anyone think of a reason why the data service may not be available if even for a short period of time whether in the middle of the night or middle of the day? Can anyone see any potential failures with using the MDS as the primary method of relaying ticket escalations to the handhelds? I understand using the phone takes precedence over any data services and will not allow any data to pass until the call is stopped.

The BES system is BES 4.1.6 for Exchange and will be upgraded to 5.0 very soon.
Closed Thread