BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
Lethal Lottery

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: At&t
Default 8310 Should be here in a few days... switched from iPhone.

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

I have been thinking about getting a BB for years. Finally got a titanium silver one from At&t. Cost me $50 with contract renewal. What are some good tips for what I should when it arrives. Where can I get firmware / is it tedious to install? Are there any free apps for navigation, aim, etc. Also where can i get themes for it, if possible? What are some nice ones. Thanks.

-Lethal
Old 04-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Play around with your device to get used to it, and before you start making any changes. Firmware is stickied at the top of this forum, but generally you should be getting a pretty up to date version of the OS as is from AT&T at this point. AIM should be included in your phone.

Just out of curiosity, what made you switch from the iPhone over to a BB?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
Lethal Lottery

PIN: N/A
Carrier: At&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
Play around with your device to get used to it, and before you start making any changes. Firmware is stickied at the top of this forum, but generally you should be getting a pretty up to date version of the OS as is from AT&T at this point. AIM should be included in your phone.

Just out of curiosity, what made you switch from the iPhone over to a BB?
Well it was money primarily. I was entitled to an upgrade, and i needed quick cash. After selling my iphone 8gb first gen for 325 on ebay, i found i could not stick with a basic phone. Blackberry seemed the only logical choice, other than waiting till i afford the $200 dollar iphone 3g. For $50 im convinced this is the best possible phone for me.

The iphone was amazing. Like i said i would not have sold it but i needed the cash. Things i loved about the iPhone:

motion sensing technology (not when 3rd party apps used it) mostly when the phone knew i moved it so the screen would light up, way cool.

mp3 interface- crappy video support, but great music browsing. its going to be hard getting use to bb version.

included apps were simple- very clean no frills, yet they really worked.

apple design and status- really liked having an apple product to complement my macbook pro.

things i hated.

gimmicky touch screen- the virtual keyboard failed and i prefer button interface.

3rd party apps- with the exception of 5 free apps, the apps screamed junky homebrew and corporate cash-ins

iphone was hot after usage!

lack of hackabilty and customization, limited options, etc.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
VIOLATOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: BOLD
PIN: Pulled - 1, 2, 3 run!
Carrier: AT&T

BlackBerryFAQ in the tool bar at the top of every page is the best way to get acquainted with your BB for sure.

David

Twitter
Old 04-27-2009, 11:00 PM   #5
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal Lottery View Post

iphone was hot after usage!
Interesting...sure it wasn't from your hands holding it tightly haha?
Old 04-27-2009, 11:28 PM   #6
CyberJack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT Wireless

My boss likes to watch You Tube videos and utilize some of the other multimedia features and has an iPhone. I of course have to support this device much like I do any other IT requirement. I tried hard to be objective, as I have owned and supported BBs since the 850. To me email, delivered timely and reliably is paramount and for that I will never switch from the Berry, it is a mission critical tool. I also can not stand the touch screen, although I understand one man's treasure is anothers poison, it drives me nuts.

Good luck with the BB and hopefully you'll be a convert. Personal opinion, but I also enjoy hanging with BB enthusiasts as well. I would not wanted to be deluged with hate mail for some perceived slight of Cupertino.
Closed Thread