Old 03-10-2009, 10:38 PM   #1
borkus
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Default Curious about updating

Please Login to Remove!

Hey all. Have been wanting to update my Tmobile 8100 4.2 OS for a long time. But, after reading what seems to be countless threads on people "bricking" their phone in the process, I've held off. But, I would like some of the newer features in the 4.5 os build. So, as I was looking on the RIM site, they have an update page here (has to be viewed in IE 5.5 or higher. I know, I know. I wanted to throw up too......). Just wondering if this is a safer alternative that using the method in the stickies in this section. It does mention something about downloading the app loader to the desktop, but it sounds pretty automated. I know that some here view updating an OS a walk in the park, but with all the countless threads going of people that have gotten frustrated for days and some even saying they never got their phone working again, I wanted to ask. I know my way around a computer pretty well, but I am not that savvy with my phone. Know how to use it, but that's about it. Have been really nervous about upgrading. I could use the video feature for my work though, in our sales presentations. And, I use the phone for so many other aspects of my job, I can't afford to be without it for a few days in the case I had to send it out to be repaired. And, the insurance for Tmobile I must say does suck. What a process to even get to make your claim to begin with. But, anyway. If the above method isn't any safer than previously described in other threads, I think I'll just leave the phone as is and possibly talk myself into buying a bold a lot sooner than I had planned. Any input is, as always, is appreciated. Sorry in advance if this is a really noobish question. I'm just starting to get acquainted with all the lingo and such. I will catch on quick enough.

Last edited by borkus; 03-10-2009 at 10:41 PM..
Old 03-10-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
areardon87

Carrier: T-Mobile

I understand you're hesitation. However, I just got my BB 2 days ago, and found this place. I updated using the stickied method, and same as you, very computer savvy, but not so much with the phone just yet. Everything was extremely smoothe. My brother has and 8100, and after I updated mine, I updated his for him. Both processes went without a hiccup.

So I definitely recommend updating. Cool new features, runs faster, and just all around in general better. It is an easy process once you get the downloads out of the way. Took me about an hour to do it. So I would go for it.

Good luck bro!
Old 03-10-2009, 10:47 PM   #3
VIOLATOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: BOLD
PIN: Pulled - 1, 2, 3 run!
Carrier: AT&T

If you make sure to do a full backup and you plan on upgrading to a T-mo OS for your phone, you should not have any problems.

You do not need to remove any files or anything.

Just make sure your USB connections are secure and if you have any 3rd party applications you want to maintain make sure you back them up (read the FAQ on this).

Also know that sometimes the loading takes a long while! Do not get impatient or nervous and unplug anything or mess with anything...

Sounds like you have read up and know what are doing and are ready to make the jump.

David

Twitter
Old 03-11-2009, 12:47 AM   #4
zocster
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: ask
Carrier: Vodafone NZ

make the jump, had upgraded my 8100 before I sold it and now the 8110 also, loving it. the browser, is better, html email and everything just nice.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
borkus

Carrier: T-mobile

Whoo-hoo!!! Finally grew the cherries and updated to 4.5.124. My pearl is screaming now. Love the browser now. Used to hate it. Though, I do miss the mobile view for some sites. The documents to go will be awesome when I upgrade to the premium. And, best of all, I love how the suretype actually guesses the word instead of just guessing letter by letter. I always had wondered why they didn't have this, coming from other phones. The only thing that I am missing is the video capture function to the camera. I have looked everywhere and can't find that option. Is there something I'm missing?
Old 05-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
PastahZach

Carrier: TMobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkus View Post
Whoo-hoo!!! Finally grew the cherries and updated to 4.5.124. My pearl is screaming now. Love the browser now. Used to hate it. Though, I do miss the mobile view for some sites. The documents to go will be awesome when I upgrade to the premium. And, best of all, I love how the suretype actually guesses the word instead of just guessing letter by letter. I always had wondered why they didn't have this, coming from other phones. The only thing that I am missing is the video capture function to the camera. I have looked everywhere and can't find that option. Is there something I'm missing?
The 8100, sadly, doesn't include video capture, only video playback.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:09 PM   #7
kidakiwi04

Model: pearl
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastahZach View Post
The 8100, sadly, doesn't include video capture, only video playback.

I know its sucks but think about all the other pretty cool things 4.5 can do
Closed Thread