Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
statler01

Model: 8330
PIN: 3090150B
Carrier: Verizon
Default Problems with browser after OS upgrade

Please Login to Remove!

I just upgraded my 8320 to OS v4.5.0.81.

That fixed a lot of the problems I was having. However, my internet browser is not acting right. On a lot of pages links that should be clickable are not. Sometimes switching to "select mode" in the browser allows me to click, sometimes it doesn't. This is particularly a problem where images are links, but also has been a problem with text links.

Also, after the upgrade text boxes in the browser don't allow me to click in to edit text if that makes sense... I can click the text box and start editing from the beginning, but I can't scroll through the text.

Any ideas? Is there a different browser that works better? The reviews I've seen regarding Opera haven't been the greatest, but some of them are pretty old...
Old 02-23-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
kailanihawk
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
PIN: 22C2A5CE
Carrier: ATT

Not sure if this'll help, but while browsing the internet, does your cursor look like a cross-hair or a hand? If cross-hair, press your cursor on the picture / link and it should change to a hand. You should now be able to click on the picture / link.

You can also display your page in column or page view by pressing the letter z. One view over the other might fit your needs better.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
jrice8002003
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
PIN: N/A

it could depend more on what sites you're trying to visit rather than a problem with your OS upgrade. some sites just don't work well on the blackberry browser. that's why i keep opera mini on hand; it can view many pages that the BB browser cannot. give opera mini a shot and see if that helps:

Opera Mini | The most popular mobile phone browser in the world

also, keep your eye out for bolt browser. it's in beta and has a lot of bugs, but when the kinks are worked out, it could move to the top of my choice of browser list:

Bolt Browser
Old 02-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #4
statler01

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailanihawk View Post
Not sure if this'll help, but while browsing the internet, does your cursor look like a cross-hair or a hand? If cross-hair, press your cursor on the picture / link and it should change to a hand. You should now be able to click on the picture / link.

You can also display your page in column or page view by pressing the letter z. One view over the other might fit your needs better.
That's the problem, the cursor never changes to a hand on several of the links. I'm having problems on sites that worked fine before upgrading the OS (I'm assuming that upgraded the browser as well?). Switching views hasn't helped. As mentioned, switching to "select mode" helps sometimes. Some sites are completely inaccessible now; my banking website for instance...

I'm going to try both Opera and Bolt to see what happens...
Old 02-23-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
hchai
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: tmo

Have you tried resending the service book?
Old 02-24-2009, 01:05 PM   #6
statler01

Resending the service book?

Well, I downloaded both Opera and Bolt. Gotta say, I'm really liking Opera so far. I might just use that and forget about the BB browser.
Bolt on the other hand... Maybe they'll get the bugs worked out eventually. I didn't care for it the way it is.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
jrice8002003
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by statler01 View Post
Resending the service book?
go here:

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Smartphone and Email Setup

select your carrier, log in, click service books, and click to resend them to your phone. this will often times fix any e-mail, etc. problems that your blackberry is experiencing, so i do it every once in a while.
Closed Thread