Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 02:57 AM   #1
Pensuke

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Downloading OZ Messenger

Please Login to Remove!

I have a Blackberry Pearl 8120 with T-Mobile and my phone did not come pre-installed with OZ Messenger, but came with the RIM IM applications that require data instead. I do not have or want a data plan, but I do have the Free Blackberry Feature Enabler and unlimited SMS texting.

I tried searching very hard on Google and on this forum to find a OTA link or file to use with the Desktop Manager, but with no success so far.

One link I found here: t-mobileapps.com/downloadcenter/files/oz/pearl/InstantMessaging.jad
Doesn't work because the t-mobileapps.com doesn't work or is down now for some reason. I've tried with both my computer and my phone browser.

Another link I found here: t-mobile.com/blackberry8100im
Doesn't work because all it says is "This application is only for the T-Mobile BlackBerry Pearl 8100. The device you are using is not supported." I tried to configure my browser on my phone in as many ways as I could. I read somewhere on this forum that the website won't detect my phone if the software was at 4.5, but I even downgraded my phone to 4.3 and it still doesn't recognize it.

I even called T-Mobile Customer Support to see if they could send me the service book for OZ Messenger. He told me to load up AppLoader in the Desktop Manager and see if it's there. He said that he couldn't help me if it's a "third-party application" and wasn't preinstalled on the phone. I even explained to him that I've read that other people have gotten it preinstalled on their phones. I've also pulled my battery out to get them to resend my service books. Nothing.

So basically, is there any way I can download OZ Messenger on my phone? I know it's not the greatest IM messenger and I know that people strongly recommend to get a data plan, but I want to be able to IM specifically through text without a data plan. Could someone help me?

Thank you very much.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:18 AM   #2
titetanium
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: Up
Carrier: t-mobile

As another option, you can send a text to the IM services directly, AIM and yahoo both have had that feature for quite some time. Look up their websites on how to do this. No IM client is needed but you won't have any pretty buddy list to look at to see who is online and available. You'll get a text list of your buddies and with the proper syntax, you can do IM directly just as if you were using a client.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:52 AM   #3
Pensuke

Ah, yeah, I've been doing this for a while for AIM, but I would like to have somewhat of a GUI for this. But I can't do it with MSN which I do use considerably. I know there's a mobile site that I could use MSN on, I can only use it while I'm connected to Wi-Fi. I don't use Yahoo or any other messengers than those two.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:28 AM   #4
Pensuke

I assume this means that no one at all knows how to help me.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
carbuff

Carrier: T-mobile

This may be an old thread but Ive been trying to do the same thing for a few days now. I also have unlimited sms and the blackberry enabler feature (free). I couldnt find a way to download the oz messenger to my 8320 in any way shape or form. I either found dead links, got error messages from the tmobile downloads page, or could only find it for wm6 or android. Tmobile said they couldnt help me because it didnt come on that phone. All of the searching I did only got me useless threads with useless responses such as you need a data plan to use oz (not true) or that oz sucks and use some other app, blah, blah, blah. I know there are other people in the same boat as I was so heres how I did it. You need to find someone with a pearl 8100 that has the oz messenger installed on it. I had 2. fire up desktop manager with the 8100 attached and use it to transfer the oz app to your new phone. It will leave it intact on the old phone too. Now I have oz on my 8320 tmobile phone that works fine using sms, no data. You will need to have the blackberry feature enabler added to your line for this to work. It is free. It basically allows the oz messenger to use data to get your buddy list for free. I hope this helps someone out there because it was driving me nuts.

Last edited by carbuff; 03-04-2009 at 01:52 PM..
Old 03-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
Pensuke

Thanks for the response. I actually found a link to the AT&T version of the application at mobileim.unimobile.com/downloads/BlackBerry_8120/InstantMessaging.jad

However, after I installed it, I found it doesn't work on my phone on T-Mobile so I'm still looking for a T-Mobile version of the application... I'll try looking for someone with the app though.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:23 AM   #7
jhayesvw
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
I know there are other people in the same boat as I was so heres how I did it. You need to find someone with a pearl 8100 that has the oz messenger installed on it. I had 2. fire up desktop manager with the 8100 attached and use it to transfer the oz app to your new phone. It will leave it intact on the old phone too. Now I have oz on my 8320 tmobile phone that works fine using sms, no data. You will need to have the blackberry feature enabler added to your line for this to work. It is free. It basically allows the oz messenger to use data to get your buddy list for free. I hope this helps someone out there because it was driving me nuts.
THIS IS GREAT NEWS.
i have a pearl 8100 and want OZ messenger on my 8320!!
EDIT: i just transferred it to my 8320. IT WORKS! this is great!!! and If anyone else wants this program. i will transfer it to you if you can tell me how to do so.

Last edited by jhayesvw; 06-25-2009 at 01:07 AM..
Old 07-07-2009, 02:02 AM   #8
Pensuke

After several months, I still don't have this program and would really like it. Could you somehow extract the .jad file from your phone? Could you upload it or send it via e-mail?
Old 09-17-2009, 12:37 AM   #9
jhayesvw
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensuke View Post
After several months, I still don't have this program and would really like it. Could you somehow extract the .jad file from your phone? Could you upload it or send it via e-mail?
how do you do that?
Closed Thread