Old 12-24-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
SmoothRunnings
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 21B694E3
Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada
Default BESAdmin permissions

Please Login to Remove!

Under Exchange 2007 SP1, does the BESAdmin user itself need to also have the "xxx8211;accessrights ExtendedRight xxx8211;extendedrights Send-As, Receive-As, ms-Exch-Store-Admin"?

Do the users in the Exchange organization who need to have the BESAdmin user added to their Security tab need the same rights added to the BESAdmin user?

I am looking carefully at the 'Get-MailboxServer | ' commands in the Exchange installation notes and notice that Microsoft has made a few changes to the commands after the "|" since Service Pack 1 for Exchange 2007 that could make it easier to getting BES installed in an Exchange 2007 SP1 environment.

Adding '-Identity "user name"' to the Add-ADPermissions command will add the "-User BESAdmin" and off the rights to the "user name", this could replace step 4 of the tutorial if it's possible to script the command to assing BESAdmin and its righes to the users currently in their Exchange organization.

Removing BESAdmin from the Add-ExchangeAdministrator command and adding '-Identity <mail_server_name>\BESAdmin' at the end of the command completely removes the need for having the "Get-MailboxServer' at all.. Not to mention that entire command listed in the tutorial doesn't work in Exchange 2007 SP1 under SBS 2008.

Andrew

Last edited by SmoothRunnings; 12-24-2008 at 01:26 PM..
Old 12-25-2008, 12:46 AM   #2
CarterTan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: 20959bbb
Carrier: M1

In Active Directory, the BESAdmin needs to have the Send as permissions applied in the Domain Level or OU level where all the BlackBerry users are located.

As for Exchange permissions:
1. Send as
2. Receive as
3. Administer Information Store

This is required so that the BESAdmin account will send, receive and administer information store on behalf of all the BlackBerry users.

Exchange-View-Only administrator rights is required so that there will not be any limited MAPI connections for the BESAdmin account.

BTW, installing BES on SBS2008 is not supported at the moment for BES but installing BES in an 2008 AD environment is supported.

MCSE, MCITP Enterprise Messaging Administrator, MCITP Enterprise Administrator
Old 01-27-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
aesajithmu

Model: 7100T
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ETISALAT

If BESAdmin user has permission to read /send and recieve, does it mean using the BESAdmin - the admin could access /read mail of these mailboxes serviced by Blackberry ?
Or is there a way to secure with a two level authentication (say by using user's privledges) ???
Old 01-27-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
TargetIT
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesajithmu View Post
If BESAdmin user has permission to read /send and recieve, does it mean using the BESAdmin - the admin could access /read mail of these mailboxes serviced by Blackberry ?
Or is there a way to secure with a two level authentication (say by using user's privledges) ???
Yes, they can read all the email. You prevent that by getting the BES up and running and then not using the BESAdmin account any further, at least not interactively.

Last edited by TargetIT; 01-27-2009 at 01:21 PM..
Old 01-28-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

PIN: 3, it's the magic number
Carrier: Most of them, it's a Global Village man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetIT View Post
Yes, they can read all the email. You prevent that by getting the BES up and running and then not using the BESAdmin account any further, at least not interactively.
Absolutely. One thing you don't do is share your besadmin password . As TargetIT says, once up and running you shouldn't need it for any day to day stuff. Make sure your besadmin account doesn't have OWA access .
Old 01-28-2009, 05:24 PM   #6
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuwhite View Post
Absolutely. Make sure your besadmin account doesn't have OWA access .
Please clarify on why.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:35 PM   #7
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyrope
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuwhite View Post
Absolutely. Make sure your besadmin account doesn't have OWA access .
Please clarify on why.
Coz if you have the same idiotic setup I inherited, you can use owa and BESadmin login to read any mail straight off and send as if you try hard enough ;->
Old 01-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #8
TargetIT
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Rogers

True, but that assumes you have the password for the account. If that is widely known, then you got other problems.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:18 AM   #9
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetIT View Post
True, but that assumes you have the password for the account. If that is widely known, then you got other problems.
Agreed but I think it's not uncommon for a few admins to know the password. In these days of SOX we are forced to share this info at some levels, so we need to guard against anyone stumbling on the sheer power of the account.
Closed Thread