BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
GeorgeAtl

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default External Charger for the BOLD...can I use this one?

Please Login to Remove!

Well....I got my new BOLD about 3 weeks ago, and I really like it!! Great features and capabilities.

My question is this. I have an old external charger which was used for both batteries and with a usb connection on it. It's from my 7300 series Blackberry, and had been relegated to the drawer a couple of years ago when I got a newer model before getting the bold.

Anyway....this one shows a usb output of 5.1 volts, and the travel charger with the Bold is rated at 5 Volts, DC. Is that .1 volt a problem when charging the bold?

I'm also getting a flashing red indicator from the charger when plugged in....so I immediately unplugged the bold from it, and apparently there was no problem.
Does the flashing red indicate a dangerous situation? My gut feeling is YES!!, but I figured I'd ask here.

Thanks in Advance!!
George in Atlanta
Old 12-04-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
MBW
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8110
PIN: N/A

A 5.1VDC charge will not harm a BlackBerry - it needs to provide at least 100 mA and anything more than that it can provide (up to a maximum of 1600mA) will speed the recharge time.

I've never heard of an older charger having a problem with a newer phone, but I can only guess what the flashing red light means.

So can you. How much charge is on your Bold when you plug the charger in? The light could be an indicator that the Bold is not yet recharged. When you plug it in, do you get a little lightning bolt on the battery charge bar on the handset, and does it flip into clock mode? Those are pretty good signs that the charge is happening OK.

After 30 seconds, then after a minute, is either the charger or the Bold significantly heating up? If either does, trash the charger.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
GeorgeAtl

Thanks for the response, MBW...I left that charger at the office, but I'll plug it in Monday and check for heat.....that would typically be a bad sign, I'm guessing.....

I'll also check for clock mode.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
GeorgeAtl

OK.....this charger (from my 7230) charged the Bold to 100% with no problems.
No Heat Issues either with the charger or the BB
After charging to 100%, the indicator light on the charger continued to
blink red....so I'm not sure if that's an issue or not, but the unit appeared to charge normally.
The Bold also went into clock mode when the charger was plugged in, so I'm guessing that everything was normal.

So....there you have it!!
Closed Thread