Old 11-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #1
fuzzbuzz

Model: curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: three
Default Hosted Exchange and BB BIS

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I currently have pop 3 e-mails and am moving over to a hosted exchange solution. How can i push out the hosted e-mails to my blackberry. Can this be done with BIS? For mails like google apps, BIS is fine, but i think with hosted exchange i may need to upgrade to a different more expensive service. Any replies appreciated.

Thanks

Fuzz
Old 11-28-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
Caspan
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Okay some clarifications I need to ask. When you say exchange do you mean

A) email is still POP3/IMAP/SMTP but is on the Exchange platform
B) You have full MAPI Exchange where Outlook is the exact same as your online and uses RPC Over HTTP to access the exchange server?

I ask this because I use to work on a 5000 client shared Exchange server and there is a big difference between the 2

If it is A then you can access your accounts using BIS like you did before. I always have the problem that sometimes I leave my client open at home and it downloads the email from the server and deletes it before my BB does and I miss emails. To fix this i set the advance setting of the account to leave a copy of the message on the server for 1 day. That way my BB has a chance to see it and queue it up.

If it is B sometimes they still provide POP3 access to get your mail through a service like BIS. And if you are really lucky if it's full exchange they might have BES that you can upgrade to when you have some extra money.

That is the beautiful part of Exchange that most propel don't get they are always saying "My unix host lets me have as many emails as i want so its better and it unix" What happens when you grow your company and need different options like BES and Full calendar support room bookings etc? Exchange lets you grow from 1 POP3 email account to full blown Exchange with BES all without changing one thing on your end or moving mail servers. I LOVE IT.

Last edited by Caspan; 11-28-2008 at 02:00 PM..
Old 12-02-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
fuzzbuzz

Model: curve
Carrier: three

Hi Caspan,

I'd look to use BES in the future, as i want to grow my business, but for now i can't afford the extra costs.

To clarify, if i have a hosted exchange, the type you pay $10 a month for and it also gives outlook web access, i'd like to have those mails appear on the blackberry. Can this be done with BIS?

When you talk about pop3 - what i want is to have the e-mails that come in, also come on blackberry and stay on outlook, but if i reply then that shows on outlook (or outlook web access) as having been replied. Can this be done or is BES for this?

Worst case scenario, i just want to be able to receive mails on the blackberry but when i go home and open outlook, then see them there too. If this means i have to cancel the hosted exchange service, then i dont mind doing that. I can afford using BIS but not BIS at the moment.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded - i dont ncessarily understand the technicalities of it all.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:45 AM   #4
Caspan
No longer Registered.

okay here is what I suggest. You should go to the BIS site and register your device if you haven't done so already. Once in the site set up the email accounts as POP3/IMAP most likely BIS will determine best one for you. this will keep a copy of each email on the server but will push a copy to your BB device. Do this for all 3 accounts that you want forwarded to your device. you can change advance settings if you want to to change who it looks like its coming from etc..

This will get you what you want.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
ld-runner
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: AT&T

just get a hosted exchange service that offers BES. there are quite a few of those.

SherWeb - Blackberry Sync

that one is only $9.95 a month.

Last edited by ld-runner; 12-03-2008 at 09:49 AM..
Old 12-03-2008, 09:51 AM   #6
Caspan
No longer Registered.

Problem is that you can only run one BES easily, he has 3 accounts. I know there is a workaround to get more then 1 BES account on the device but I have tried it and its a pain.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:57 AM   #7
ld-runner

i would take my 3 pop accounts and forward them to the new BES host. if you need aliases, the host can handle that. no different than BIS...
Old 12-03-2008, 10:01 AM   #8
Caspan
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ld-runner View Post
i would take my 3 pop accounts and forward them to the new BES host. if you need aliases, the host can handle that. no different than BIS...

Complicated solution and expensive I'm all for BES and at that price its not bad, but I'm a KISS person (Keep It Simple Stupid) there is nothing worse then trying to figure out where and how an email came into your Inbox and then you find out its doing 15 loops and here to there. I use to work for a hosted Exchange provider and some people do the craziest things then call us and ask why they are not getting email. Its because its bouncing all over the world to 3 different account.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:06 AM   #9
ld-runner

hmmm, good point. but with a few quick rules from an Outlook client, its pretty simple to keep things nice and clean with folder redirection. like you, i am a BES fan and could never go back to BIS.
Closed Thread