lisamel
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&T
Default Walmart giving blackberry bold for free

Please Login to Remove!

I'm not kidding.
On the walmart web site, if you are a new customer, they are giving 100% rebate.
existing customers that extend for 2 years, they are giving $200 rebate.

I am going back to the AT&T store tomorrow and demand my extra $100 or I am returning the phone and rebuying at Walmart.

This is just unfair to those of us who paid top dollar 2 weeks ago.

Last edited by lisamel; 11-22-2008 at 11:21 PM..
Old 11-22-2008, 11:38 PM   #2
tsubasa55
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: I9000
Carrier: AT&T

Free if you get the unlimited plan with it :(
Old 11-22-2008, 11:39 PM   #3
Anatevka88

Let us know if they do it. While I love my Bold, my wallet is still smarting. I'm 50 miles from the ATT store so before I drive in, I'd like to know what happens with you. We're still within the 30 day return time period. I guess we could return it and then re-buy it from Wal-Mart.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:08 AM   #4
Derek Von Erich

AT&T doesn't really yield to "demands," they'll gladly take your phone back & charge you the $20 restocking fee & ship the phone back to be sold as refurbished and turn a nice profit.

Speaking as an RSC I can honestly say we could care less where you buy the phone. I know let's talk has terrible rebates and customer communication. not to mention you have to maintain a total account balance of $130+ for 6 months to receive the rebate or you're charged $250 without being told.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:53 AM   #5
lisamel

Well if they don't give me the $100, that's terrible customer service. I've been a long time user of At&T.

I don't care where I buy the phone either. I'll gladly go to walmart if it saves me $100
Old 11-23-2008, 01:06 AM   #6
Derek Von Erich

I see where you're coming from, but to AT&T the phones aren't the big picture. Without service the phone is useless, thus they don't really care where the phone is purchased either, as they make their money off of service & features, which they get no matter where the phone is purchased.

Walmart (or Lets Talk in this case) pay the cost to AT&T to subsidize the amount of the phone & in turn put their stock codes in conjunction with AT&T's to make the commissioned profit off of your rate plan and features (thus the reason you have to keep the rate plan and features past 6 months to insure there is no forced drop off via churn)

You can try all you'd like to get a price match, but most managers won't price match anyone (let alone Walmart) unless it's an activation, as they're more important to quota than upgrades.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:02 PM   #7
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (troydbrown is Chad!)

ATT policy currently is to not pricematch 3rd party retailers or online retailers.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #8
lisamel

I'm back from the AT&T store. True, they will not price match. The rep at the store said the Walmart deal is with the same phone, but he thinks you still have to agree to unlimited plan to get the additional rebate. That stinks.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:03 PM   #9
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

They're not giving you something out of the goodness of their heart. If you get the discount up front, you can bet your bottom dollar you'll make it up, and then some, with the service plan. Too often these "great deals" rely on some shady operators to provide you with rebates. You end up spending so much time fighting with them just to get what you were promised that it's not worth it. And that's if they really promised it in the first place! The fine print can hide all kinds of sleazoid tactics.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:08 PM   #10
gfrancis306
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 2484D2EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamel View Post
why did you pay top dollar then? because obviously you couldn't wait to have it. sounds like you're trying to have your cake and eat it too.

Quote:
Well if they don't give me the $100, that's terrible customer service. I've been a long time user of At&T.
terrible customer service? because walmart decided to give out a good deal?

what is with all the terribly high expectations of service providers to treat people like they're some god among men because they've been with the company for a long time. it seems to have increased drastically lately.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:32 PM   #11
johnnyp500
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfrancis306 View Post
what is with all the terribly high expectations of service providers to treat people like they're some god among men because they've been with the company for a long time. it seems to have increased drastically lately.
Well I am an AT&T customer and I am very satisfied, the customer service has been great, but in a free market with a lot of competition companies like AT&T need to make sure they don't lose customers especially in the state of the economy right now. If a bold is offered through walmart for FREE or 199 for existing users, and through AT&T for 299 thats a big difference, so even if they could not fully match the price they could try to make the client feel good by maybe offering maybe a free month of something. Like I said im very happy with AT&T but not enough to pay $100 or $200 more than the competition.

And apart from that, I personally don't think a sales representative in AT&T is god anyway .

And btw mr AT&T rep. What happens if you buy the phone at Wal Mart and there is a problem with the phone? AT&T probably wont replace it if it wasnt purchased through them right? So if you buy in WalMart online and have a problem you have to start dealing with Walmart for a replacement?

Last edited by johnnyp500; 11-23-2008 at 03:43 PM..
Old 11-23-2008, 03:41 PM   #12
gfrancis306
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 2484D2EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyp500 View Post
Well I am an AT&T customer and I am very satisfied, the customer service has been great, but in a free market with a lot of competition companies like AT&T need to make sure they don't lose customers especially in the state of the economy right now. If a bold is offered through walmart for FREE or 199 for existing users, and through AT&T for 299 thats a big difference, so even if they could not fully match the price they could try to make the client feel good by maybe offering maybe a free month of something. Like I said im very happy with AT&T but not enough to pay $100 or $200 more than the competition.

yes but the bold is a bold. whether you buy it from AT&T directly, an authorized retailer, or best buy, walmart, etc., the company is still getting your business. now if T-mobile had a bold going for 150, that might be a different story. however, AT&T can guarantee coverage in the US moreso than T-mobile, so again the comparison is a moot point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyp500 View Post
And apart from that, I personally don't think a sales representative in AT&T is god anyway .
you misread my friend. it is some of the customers i said who expect to be treated as such
Old 11-23-2008, 03:46 PM   #13
johnnyp500
Thumbs Must Hurt

Im only getting my phone tomorrow, purchased through AT&T for 399 - 100 rebate. I havent decided if im gonna just return and get the $199 from walmart cause as i edited in the rest of the message above im worried about if i have a problem and need to contact walmart for service. With AT&T I had a USB Connect 881 that broke and they sent me a replacement which didnt work very well, they then sent me an overnight replacement for the replacement which also wasnt good and then again overnight which was good. Everything was quick and easy. I doubt it would be like that if buying from that lets talk walmart thing... any thoughts?
Old 11-23-2008, 11:50 PM   #14
Derek Von Erich

Warranty is all done through AT&T, so after your initial 30 days it's all coming back to us. The only problems would arise in faulty equipment within the first 30 days for the actual handset & one year on all accessories included in the box.

We offer a one year in store warranty on all accessories purchased in store. Thus if your home charger stops charging we fix you up then and there. Thing is we have to see original purchase of said item in your past purchases to complete the J-Out.

AT&T still offer support on phones purchased through other dealers, we just don't handle warranty directly.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:29 AM   #15
Interpol

Quote:
I'm not kidding.
On the walmart web site, if you are a new customer, they are giving 100% rebate.
existing customers that extend for 2 years, they are giving $200 rebate.

I am going back to the AT&T store tomorrow and demand my extra $100 or I am returning the phone and rebuying at Walmart.

How is this unfair?

Nobody put a gun to your head and forced you to pay 'top dollar' 2 weeks ago for your Bold. If you felt paying top dollar was too much (like you appear to believe now), then you shouldn't have been an early adopter. And if you weren't willing to wait for a price drop or for a better deal to come along, that's your problem and nobody else's.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #16
Hockeyflow33

Model: 8300

Once you get the phone, can't you just switch your plan back to what you had?
Old 11-25-2008, 06:06 PM   #17
dts5.1
Thumbs Must Hurt

I don't see that it's $199 for renewal...it shows to be $299. Was that just for a limited time i wonder? I would have jumped on that deal!
Old 11-25-2008, 06:43 PM   #18
robotpedlr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

One thing to be careful about from the walmart deal... its actually not walmart (its letstalk.com). Although they show good prices...a lot of it is very specific (you have to stay on plan X and have unlimited sms, etc) or they ding you. You also dont get your rebate for 6 months to get to that price. If you read the rebate, it says send in your 4th month's bill to get the rebate... that sucks. Then you have to wait 8-10 weeks past that for your check... yikes See fine print from their site below:

Requirements
1. Print & submit a copy of the rebate form. A customized version of your rebate form is available for download via our Rebate Center. There is a unique form for each phone purchased. Please double check to make sure you have all the right forms. Also, if you changed your cell phone number, please be sure to indicate your new cell phone number on the rebate form. Without these numbers, we will not be able to complete your rebate!
2. Submit a copy of your Proof of Purchase Receipt. You have a few options for your proof of purchase; you can use the Packing Slip that was included with your shipment or print a copy of the Receipt via our Rebate Center.
3. Attach a copy of the GREY LetsTalk.com barcode sticker (located on the bottom of your equipment box) to the space provided on the rebate form.
4. Submit a copy of your 4th month carrier bill. The bill must show that you have made payment and that "all outstanding balance" has been paid in full (Please circle this section on the bill).
5. Ensure that you have everything and make copies for your records. Then mail the required paperwork to the address indicated on the rebate form. USE SEPARATE ENVELOPES IF YOU ARE SUBMITTING MULTIPLE REBATES.

NOTE: Your rebate submission must be postmarked between 120 days and 180 days or we will be unable to process your rebate request

Terms & Conditions
Please allow 8-10 weeks after submission for check processing. Equipment serial and cell phone numbers will be verified as active on our system prior to rebate being fulfilled.

Last edited by robotpedlr; 11-25-2008 at 06:48 PM..
Closed Thread