Old 11-07-2008, 11:35 PM   #1
CSO
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Patience Gone: can't install old OS/software or repair from current

Please Login to Remove!

I have the latest OS installed on my curve. I did a hard reset last night because of various issues I was having with the device.

Now the device, though connected to desktop manager, won't sync and do a few other things.

AT&T (not knowing I upgraded to 4.5) suggested some of the files/drivers etc may have been corrupted or not installed properly during the reset. They suggest I download the AT&T software and reinstall. However, I noticed there's a warning not to install older software on the device (I have 4.5).

As a result, I decided to reinstall the OS 4.5 (TM). When I try that from using the prior package that I downloaded the only options are to remove or repair, so of course I tried to repair which result in a fatal error message.

What do I do?
Old 11-08-2008, 12:10 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

You may need to resort to JLCmder at this point.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:22 AM   #3
CSO
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
You may need to resort to JLCmder at this point.
Am trying one more thing first: downloading the Rogers version of the most recent OS to a different folder, and will try to install that over my current OS, if that's possible since they're virtually the same.

Next I'll do as you say Mr. Sanders. BUT I have a question for you: in the How do I wipe the BlackBerry using Jl Cmder? it states that we should make sure to have the most current handheld OS. Does this mean for example the OS4.5 that I'm downloading now (TM/Rogers)?

thanks
Old 11-08-2008, 12:33 AM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Yes, that may work, if you connect the BB to the DM and get an upgrade prompt (make sure you delete the vendor.xml file, etc). If not, move to JLCmder.

Using it, the OS you have installed (either carrier version, all the same) will be fine.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:44 AM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles

It sounds like you don't have the OS installed to the computer properly. I'd remove it completely, then reinstall to the computer. I will say, however, that the OS installed on the device usually has no bearing on whether the device will sync or not. It sounds like you have a computer issue, not a BB issue. Using JL_Cmder at this point will render your BB useless and if you have computer problems, you'll have no way to reload the OS to the BB device.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:44 AM   #6
CSO
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Yes, that may work, if you connect the BB to the DM and get an upgrade prompt (make sure you delete the vendor.xml file, etc). If not, move to JLCmder.

Using it, the OS you have installed (either carrier version, all the same) will be fine.
JS, am trying to wipe; I type the prompts and then the word "blackberry" and then hit enter, but nada happens.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:46 AM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

It sounds like the computer isn't recognizing the device when plugged into the USB. I would say, don't wipe your BB.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:50 AM   #8
CSO
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
It sounds like the computer isn't recognizing the device when plugged into the USB. I would say, don't wipe your BB.

any suggestions?
Old 11-08-2008, 12:52 AM   #9
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I would start with uninstalling and reinstalling all the software on the computer. Then try other USB ports. Make sure you're not using any kind of hub, either.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:55 AM   #10
CSO
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
I would start with uninstalling and reinstalling all the software on the computer. Then try other USB ports. Make sure you're not using any kind of hub, either.
on the device or the computer? And if the computer what software are you referring to?
Old 11-08-2008, 12:58 AM   #11
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Well, first you tried to "repair" the OS installation on the computer and got a "fatal error." That's not good. I would attempt to uninstall it and reinstall it. Also, do you have Desktop Manager installed? If so, I'd uninstall and reinstall that too. Uninstall both then reinstall Desktop Manager and then the OS. Once that's done, hopefully the computer will recognize the BB when you plug it in. If not, we can troubleshoot from there.

I'm betting there is nothing wrong with your BB.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:01 AM   #12
CSO
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Well, first you tried to "repair" the OS installation on the computer and got a "fatal error." That's not good. I would attempt to uninstall it and reinstall it. Also, do you have Desktop Manager installed? If so, I'd uninstall and reinstall that too. Uninstall both then reinstall Desktop Manager and then the OS. Once that's done, hopefully the computer will recognize the BB when you plug it in. If not, we can troubleshoot from there.

I'm betting there is nothing wrong with your BB.
I'm very much appreciating your input, but pardon my ignorance at this point but how do I uninstall the OS? By downgrading to a lower OS? And part of the problem here of course is I can't properly connect to the Pc to do what I need to do (though app loade does load the programs)

And so i've been clear, it was when I clicked next in app loader that I got the fatal error msg.

Last edited by CSO; 11-08-2008 at 01:11 AM..
Old 11-08-2008, 01:30 AM   #13
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Uninstall the OS from the PC at Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:34 AM   #14
John Clark
BBF Moderator

You're mixing apples and oranges here. I was referring to the OS installer installed on your COMPUTER. It has to be installed on the computer BEFORE you can load it to the BB. That's what I was referring to and what you were referring to when you talked about the fact that you did a "Repair." You made it sound like you got the fatal error during the "Repair" process.

Now you're saying you get a fatal error when you run apploader.

Regardless of all that, it sounds like your BB is fine. It sounds to me like there is a USB/driver issue that prevents the computer from seeing the BB.

All that being said, you still haven't been clear on EXACTLY what the problem is. You said you did a "hard reset." What are you referring to? Are you referring to removing the battery?

A "syncing" issue is not usually a problem with the OS on the BlackBerry device itself.. Can you please describe "EXACTLY" what the problem is?
Old 11-08-2008, 01:54 AM   #15
CSO
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
You're mixing apples and oranges here. I was referring to the OS installer installed on your COMPUTER. It has to be installed on the computer BEFORE you can load it to the BB. That's what I was referring to and what you were referring to when you talked about the fact that you did a "Repair." You made it sound like you got the fatal error during the "Repair" process.

Now you're saying you get a fatal error when you run apploader.

Regardless of all that, it sounds like your BB is fine. It sounds to me like there is a USB/driver issue that prevents the computer from seeing the BB.

All that being said, you still haven't been clear on EXACTLY what the problem is. You said you did a "hard reset." What are you referring to? Are you referring to removing the battery?

A "syncing" issue is not usually a problem with the OS on the BlackBerry device itself.. Can you please describe "EXACTLY" what the problem is?
Ok, I did a handheld wipe last night (options/security/wipe......). Ever since that point when I connect to desktop mngr, I get a msg saying not connected retry; I've been able to connect to desktop manager (says connected in the task tray, on the bottom of desktop mngr, and at the top the same. Yet when I go to syncronize I get the same msg "not connected".

Then I was told to reinstall device software, which I don't believe I can do since AT&T's is older than what I have installed.

next I clicked on the latest OS that I saved to my computer, it installs; next I try to update the OS/software through desktop mngr.

I then apploader to install, but I get the msg not connected etc
Old 11-08-2008, 01:59 AM   #16
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Ok. When you were told to reinstall device software, that meant to reinstall it on your computer (not necessarily to the BB.)

It sounds like you did that when you said that you clicked on the latest OS that you saved to your computer. You're good there.

the "not connected" message means that the USB port on your PC is not recognizing the BB. That could be any number of problems. Try rebooting the BB. Try changing themes. Try rebooting the computer. Try a different USB port on the computer. Try a different USB cable. Make sure you are not using any kind of hub (like a monitor USB connection or other kind of usb hub.)

At this point, the only thing wrong with your BB is that you did a security wipe and all your data is gone. Beyond that, there is nothing wrong with the BB. You have a computer/usb/cable issue.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:03 AM   #17
CSO
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Ok. When you were told to reinstall device software, that meant to reinstall it on your computer (not necessarily to the BB.)

It sounds like you did that when you said that you clicked on the latest OS that you saved to your computer. You're good there.

the "not connected" message means that the USB port on your PC is not recognizing the BB. That could be any number of problems. Try rebooting the BB. Try changing themes. Try rebooting the computer. Try a different USB port on the computer. Try a different USB cable. Make sure you are not using any kind of hub (like a monitor USB connection or other kind of usb hub.)

At this point, the only thing wrong with your BB is that you did a security wipe and all your data is gone. Beyond that, there is nothing wrong with the BB. You have a computer/usb/cable issue.

Well one other tidbit, I connected my bold to this puter with no problems and I connected to the Curve to another computer and had the same problem I'm having here (on the 2nd computer it tried to load the BB drivers and got a msg saying driver not installed etc....
Old 11-08-2008, 02:06 AM   #18
John Clark
BBF Moderator

So, that means that the 2nd computer recognized the device but the drivers (included in Desktop manager and the latest OS package) weren't installed on the 2nd computer.

It is an issue with your 1st computer. Reboot the computer and try it again.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:09 AM   #19
CSO
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted

Is it necessary to have desktop mngr installed to be able to access the device via a computer (my second one)? Because if not then it seems I'm having the identical on my second computer as on my first. And Fyi: I'm able to connect my bold to the first computer without a problem.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:45 AM   #20
CSO
CrackBerry Addict

The problem most definately is with my device; My bold works on both computers, including the one without BB Desktop Mngr installed. First time I connected it up, fourn new hardware, and loaded properly. Curve? Nada happens on either computer.
Closed Thread