DW747
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2
Post BES 4.1.6 Calendar Items Disappearing

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

I am dealing with an issue at the moment which may involve the Blackberry environment. We have recently updated to version 4.1.6 on BES, we are running Exchange 2003 SP2. Our clients are Outlook 2003 SP3. The version of CDO on the exchange servers and on the BES is (6.5.7651.61).

I have trawled through the messaging agent logs for one of the users affected and noticed a number of strange entries for which I cannot find any explanation, see below:

[40006] (10/03 10:17:11.932):{0x226C} {xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.com} FilterDeleteRequest - Appointment never synchronized. Deletion filtered. EntryId=3315248

and

[40270] (10/03 10:18:23.650):{0x1AF8} {xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.com} Requeuing notification of deleted appointment. EntryId=3317874

There were no deleted calendar appointments at that time, only a new appointment accepted.

Does anyone know what the above means? We are a law firm and users having meetings disappear for no reason is source of great embarrasment and furious anger for us support guys... not to mention the loss of revenue aspect, I do however suspect we may have suffered from this problem even before going to 4.1.6 but I'm pretty positive it was never reported so widely.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-08-2008, 08:58 AM   #2
Tool

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Not sure why yet, but it's happening to me as well. Same cdo version, same exchange version, and same BES version but Outlook is 2002 (Office XP).

I can't seem to find a good reason for this happening. It seems to be spreading, unfortunately, and like you, is rather embarassing.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:23 PM   #3
Karen

Model: 8130
Default Calendar Items Disappearing

Great! I'm about to upgrade us to 4.16 to fix recurring calendar issues. Am I going to find out it may just create other calendar issues? RIM needs to address and fix this. Calendar is something everyone who uses a BB in business relies on.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:27 AM   #4
dowlingm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Have you installed 4.1.6MR1? MR2 is imminent, I read the release notes yesterday.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:59 AM   #5
DW747

Nope, I've not installed this as yet. But looking at the release notes for both MR's I cant see anything relating to calendar. It is interesting though that other people are experiencing this issue. Our service provider insists that our CDO environment is correct etc. So this is a really annoying issue with no end in sight. I must say thought that I too have experienced the rapid growth of log files so based on that alone it may be worth doing the MR1 install.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #6
Tool

Has anyone solved this thing yet? I know I'm seeing it with more than a few people now, and it's really getting frustrating.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:20 PM   #7
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Model: Z10
PIN: SEEKRIT innit
Carrier: AT&T

HMMMM.... I run a Domino house, BES 4.1.6MR1.
Just put the CEO onto a Bold device the other day, release 4.6.x

Within a week, his secretary complained of things disappearing on calendar. I was not sure whether user error or something else, maybe it's BES.

Better start checking those logs...
Old 11-11-2008, 12:28 PM   #8
Tool

The one way I found to duplicate it was to have the meeting organizer create the meeting and the person receiving it has a delegate. The delegate accepts it, but for some reason it still shows as tentative and it depends on what the original invitee does. If they delete the meeting request that their delegate accepted, then the meeting disappears. If they leave it alone, it will continue to show as tentative.

Anyone confirm?

This is Exch. 2003 - BES 4.1.6 CDO's match to latest.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:08 PM   #9
bulletooth
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

None of my uses have reported their calendar items "disappearing" however I am seeing these errors in my event logs.

I am on Exch 2003 SP 2 with Outook 2003 SP3 as well.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:03 AM   #10
Greys

Carrier: att

Ok I am not sure if this is the answer you are looking for. I had the same issue with calendar items disappearing off a user's handhelds and outlook. After opening tickets with MS and BB. and logging every change the user makes of the calendar we noticed that the Blackberry service account Legacy DN was making the deletions. After looking further into it was "google Desktop Sync" After removing it we noticed that calendar items stopped disappearing.
I hope this works out for you guys. Trust me I know first hand how crazy this experience is. Let me know if it worked out for you or not
Old 11-20-2008, 04:41 AM   #11
morpheus79

Model: 8700v
Carrier: Vodafone

Hi,
I've two BES Servers version 4.1.5MR1 running on Domino.
We've noticed that when someone say that the calendar on the bb is not synchronized is not a problem of the BES. Our users saved the appointments like Drafts!!!
And BES don't support domino drafts!

Regards
Old 11-21-2008, 06:57 AM   #12
DW747

Hi All,

Quick Update...
Tool - Yes we see this behaviour also, sometimes the meetings go in as tentative regardless of what you do to the meeting.

Update from Microsoft.... They had us enable store logging for the user and the delegate was asked to log as much info as possible whenever it happens. They have now tracked down the culprit.... and no surprise here but it's the BESSA account. In the meantime though MS supplied updated CDO files for which there still is no KB entry or any documentation as it was meant to be Classified until it is released. This did nothing to help our situation so back to square one. With yet another call to RIM who gave our sever/setup a clean bill of health in the first place.

I will give you all a further update as soon as I get one!
Old 11-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #13
SmoothRunnings
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 21B694E3
Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

Wow... I am having the same problem on our Exchange 2007 SP1 and BPS 4.1.4 which has been running for some time now, I wonder if the problem you are having is some how related to BPS 4.1.4A (that latest one from RIM).

A.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #14
stevene1974

Model: 8310

Hi, any update on this? I have run into this issue as well where a user says they accepeted an appt on their blackberry but the appt never seems to go to calendar or is somehow removed from the calendar.

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:49 AM   #15
Kul
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z10
Carrier: Vodafone (UK)

We have a similar problem and i know its frustrating and embrassing as we can't figure this out and have nothing concrete to tell our users

I posted a thread and got no responses, logged case with Microsoft and they said goto latest version of CDO etc.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-...reappears.html

Speaking to RIM and they suggested a slighty different version of CDO i.e. Exchange 2003 SP2 running CDO version 6.5.8067.0 which is for outlook 2007 but resolves issues with backward compatibility - but this made no difference but worth a try in your case. (you will have to remove ESM2003 and install the EXchangeMapi hotfix)

I am still working with RIM on this and will post my solution
Old 01-08-2009, 03:59 AM   #16
MrDexterity

Carrier: Proximus

Same problem here, very annoying problem and difficult to troubleshoot or simulate.
Currently I'm using the Blackberry Calendar Synchronization Tool (TraitTool.exe) to keep calendars in sync for users who complain the most.
Has anyone installed MR3 yet ?
Maybe this solves the problem:
*SDR 217944 In BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 4.1 SP6 MR3, optimizations have been made to some MAPI calls related to wireless calendar synchronization.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:41 AM   #17
DW747

Hi All,

Quick update, no resolution as yet. Users just jumping higher and higher. I've now been given a test script by RIM to carry out a whole host of experiments involving creating a bunch of new exchange accounts, getting my grubby paws on a few more blackberry devices etc... I personally don't see this working or giving them anything I haven't given them already. Seems like they buying time considering the amount of us with this problem. I mean even once you weed out the people who have CDO issues there is still a fairly large chunk of us with this problem right. Anyway, MrDexterity, I sincerely hope you are right that the enhancements in MR3 resolve the issue because it is rather painful. I've requested the documentation from our vendor as the website now has the software but not the documentation. Indicative of how backwards they are working. Once I have that, I will apply to our DEV box, and keep you all posted as to the outcome and if it introduces a whole string of new issues.

Best wishes and happy new year all!

P.S. My new years resolution is to actually fix this issue... lol... live in hope, die in dispair.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:45 AM   #18
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

PIN: 3, it's the magic number
Carrier: Most of them, it's a Global Village man!

DW747 did you get the release notes for MR3? I told our carrier engineer about MR3 and he was shocked it went public before going to Partnerzone and went off to look at it, but he had no extra info.

So while every SP and MR states that it will fix cal sync issues, this does sound like a knee-jerk release to address something big and/or scary. I am not holding out much hope of MR3 miraculously solving the many many cal sync issues but anything which helps a bit can't be a bad thing, he says carefully :->
Old 01-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #19
mahoward
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

This is possibly unrelated as I work in a Domino shop and have not experienced a large number of calendaring issues as of late. But I do get calls about calendar issues occasionally, mostly with delegate issues and reschedules, etc.

One recent issue was this:

1) Person A sends out meeting invitation
2) Person B accepts invitation
3) Person A's meeting shows Person B as accepted

4) Person A reschedules meeting
5) Person B does NOT accept reschedule
6) Person A's meeting shows Person B as unresponsive

7) Person A calls Person B about why they didn't accept invitation
8) Person B says they did! (the original meeting that is)
9) Person A logs a ticket which gets to me to sort out this mess.

The issue here is that a rescheduled meeting needs to be accepted in addition to the original for the invitee to still show as attending on the meeting list.

A greater issue is the insane complexity of calendaring / scheduling, what with delegates, reschedules, repeating / recurring meetings, etc. It's a freaking rats nest to sort all this out on a single platform such as Exchange or Domino, I am surprised RIM keeps up as well as it does.

A final thought is the social aspects of this problem, the complexity leads to confusion about the system from end users when the system is acting perfectly rationally!
Old 01-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #20
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

PIN: 3, it's the magic number
Carrier: Most of them, it's a Global Village man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahoward View Post
A greater issue is the insane complexity of calendaring / scheduling, what with delegates, reschedules, repeating / recurring meetings, etc. It's a freaking rats nest to sort all this out on a single platform such as Exchange or Domino, I am surprised RIM keeps up as well as it does.

A final thought is the social aspects of this problem, the complexity leads to confusion about the system from end users when the system is acting perfectly rationally!
Couldn't agree more mate. I gave up trying to explain the complexities of what's going on under the covers a long time ago and just try to blame it all on MS. Ppl already hate them so it saves RIM being hated as well :->. Let's just hope Karma doesn't catch up with me
Closed Thread