Old 07-08-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
pipskicks
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile
Default Free Money Management?

Please Login to Remove!

I saw some commercial programs (Splash Money being one of the newest) but no real great reviews yet. I was wondering if there are any free ones to play around with as I don't want to get any trials of programs I have heard numerous rantings about.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #2
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

People put a lot of work into the programs that work well. They deserve to be paid for them. I know of no free programs that work as well as say Ascendo money. It's fantastic and they have a trial if you're willing to do that.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
pipskicks
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
People put a lot of work into the programs that work well. They deserve to be paid for them. I know of no free programs that work as well as say Ascendo money. It's fantastic and they have a trial if you're willing to do that.
I'll look into Ascendo, I have 2 reasons for wanting a free program:
1. Until you recommended Ascendo, I've only read negative reports on these types of programs (so why not go with a crappy free one vs. a crappy commercial one?)

2. I will not use this that often (want it now for the next 2 months more than anything) and therefore I don't need a very powerful extensive one

And lastly, I may be being a cheap --- but I also don't make a ton of money (hence why I need to balance well) and I'm a student.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
CO_BBTechie

Fair enough... I'm just indicating that you get what you pay for is all. There are a lot of people who seem to want all the best programs but don't feel they want to/should have to pay for them. It's just silly to me to want the best without paying for it.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #5
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

I think you will often find that the complainers speak up more often than the satisfied users. While I do not use Ascendo Money, and thus cannot comment, I can say that another product that they have (Data Vault) is superb and supported well. I also know that Money has many advocates on this board.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:15 PM   #6
pipskicks
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
Fair enough... I'm just indicating that you get what you pay for is all. There are a lot of people who seem to want all the best programs but don't feel they want to/should have to pay for them. It's just silly to me to want the best without paying for it.
This is not a feeling of superiority. If I didn't want to pay for programs I'd download the free ones, quit whining, and be happy with an already powerful device.

My dad is a computer programmer, I feel your pain, I don't like hearing about people helping others with programs and then stopping because they just can't afford to, that hurts us all.
But I also don't like to skip meals because I'm broke...so I have to manage carefully even with the money spent on the program to help me manage
Old 07-08-2008, 01:32 PM   #7
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S2
Carrier: Verizon

I use Jabplite, which is a free program. Its simple and works quite good for me. I dont need the over the top graphs and etc.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-software.html
Old 07-08-2008, 03:06 PM   #8
pipskicks
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lraed74 View Post
I use Jabplite, which is a free program. Its simple and works quite good for me. I dont need the over the top graphs and etc.

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2008, 03:26 PM   #9
CO_BBTechie

Also... just ran across this on that "other" forum site

25 Useful Financial Apps for your BlackBerry! | CrackBerry.com
Old 07-08-2008, 03:38 PM   #10
Baldie
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9360
Carrier: Sprint

If you do buy a program, Ascendo is top notch. Customer service is great to.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #11
blackberryfreeware
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-mobile

I use Jabplite but lately I've been using xpenser. seems to be faster for me to do. But Jabplite is still the most reliable free software to use.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:43 PM   #12
neftv
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lraed74 View Post

I just installed that program. I understand when you enter amount it assumes the last to digits are cents. How about in investments the section shown as holdings I take its shares how are you suppose to put a decimal point? Like one investment has 542.678 I can't seem to get the decimal to work on my blackberry that is over the M key. How do you do it?
Old 07-09-2008, 10:59 PM   #13
fencepost
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

You get punctuation (the upper half of the keys) with the Alt key at the left edge of your keyboard. You get punctuation (not shown on the keys) with the Sym key next to the spacebar.

Your key locations may vary slightly.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:17 PM   #14
neftv
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fencepost View Post
You get punctuation (the upper half of the keys) with the Alt key at the left edge of your keyboard. You get punctuation (not shown on the keys) with the Sym key next to the spacebar.

Your key locations may vary slightly.
I was trying to say the in my post that the Alt key does not function with in the application. I get the dot normally by pressing the M key but it not happening. The Sym key does not work with in this application too.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:21 PM   #15
fencepost
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

Ah. I've not installed the app, but is it possible that the field that you're in is a numeric field? In those I believe the keyboard defaults to the alt/numlock mode, with the alt key attempting to put the letter instead. That would surprise me a bit in an app that's not specific to the blackberry, but I don't have any BB or other phone programming experience to fall back on.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:25 PM   #16
neftv
Thumbs Must Hurt

I tried it that way too not pressing the alt key and just pressing M key which has a period on top of it but that don't work. I posted on the board at the authors web site but it looks like its dead over there nothing since last month.

Last edited by neftv; 07-09-2008 at 11:28 PM..
Old 07-09-2008, 11:28 PM   #17
FullFlashGSMPH

Model: 7110g
Carrier: black

thanks usefull post and thread
Old 07-10-2008, 09:27 AM   #18
neftv
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fencepost View Post
Ah. I've not installed the app, but is it possible that the field that you're in is a numeric field? In those I believe the keyboard defaults to the alt/numlock mode, with the alt key attempting to put the letter instead. That would surprise me a bit in an app that's not specific to the blackberry, but I don't have any BB or other phone programming experience to fall back on.
I got an answer in another thread that decimal placement for the amount of shares you own is not supported you have to round out the number.

I just decided atleast I want to atleast keep track of my expenses with xpenser.com.
Closed Thread