Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
Mignonne

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default WiFi Connection Problems

Please Login to Remove!

I have an 8320, and I can't seem to connect to WiFi. I have tried it at home, as well as a few other places where WiFi is offered for free. It "sees" the available WiFi networks, but does not connect.

I keep getting error code W002. Below is exactly what I am doing to try to connect:

I turn on WiFi
I turn off "Data Services" under Options --> Mobile Network

It scans the available networks and brings up all available networks.
I get the above Error Code.

Any help would be appreciated because I am traveling internationally next month and want to shut off Data Services so that I only have use of the phone and the Wifi in order to use the browser.

Thanks.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
pastorstevemn

Carrier: T-Mobile
Angry same issue - error code W002

I've got the same issue and I have signed up for WiFi@Home. Gotta get this working
Old 06-16-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
oakie
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: CERS!
Carrier: T-Mobile, Verizon

do either of you have BIS?

cuz if you dont, then just open up a browser window and start browsing. that "error" means you're not able to connect to a BIS server, but doesnt necessarily mean you arent connected. if you dont have a BIS account, the yellow dash will not turn into a green check for wi-fi... but you'll still be connected.

for open networks, this is especially important since they usually have a login page or a TOS page you have to click thru first before you can browse openly.

Last edited by oakie; 06-16-2008 at 12:37 PM..
Old 06-16-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
pastorstevemn

I assume you're referring to BlackberryInternetService. So... let me be sure I understand. The yellow check mark will not turn green and WiFi logo will remain gray even if I'm on my home WiFi. I also have data functionality so I can surf without a WiFi connection. How will I know if my WiFi is active or if I'm surfing over my cell line?
Old 06-16-2008, 04:12 PM   #5
oakie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorstevemn View Post
I assume you're referring to BlackberryInternetService. So... let me be sure I understand. The yellow check mark will not turn green and WiFi logo will remain gray even if I'm on my home WiFi. I also have data functionality so I can surf without a WiFi connection. How will I know if my WiFi is active or if I'm surfing over my cell line?
if you do not have blackberry internet service, you will not get a green check.

if you want to test it, turn off your cellular radio and try to pull up a webpage.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #6
echo63

Try going to Manage Connections - Mobile Network Options and change Connection Preference to Wi-Fi Only (it should currently be Wi-Fi-Preferred). Save the new settings before exiting.

If you go to Manage Connections page again, you will most likely see that the check box next to Mobile Network is unchecked, with a red X. Your Wi-Fi should now be on with a green check box. Exit out.

You should also see UMA in upper right corner, and now should be able to access your Wi-Fi network. In order to get back to EDGE, you need to go to Manage Connections again and undo the above.

I don't know why, but my Curve seems to attach to the EDGE signal at my home, and UMA only if I manually turn off EDGE signal.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:50 PM   #7
oakie

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo63 View Post
Try going to Manage Connections - Mobile Network Options and change Connection Preference to Wi-Fi Only (it should currently be Wi-Fi-Preferred). Save the new settings before exiting.

If you go to Manage Connections page again, you will most likely see that the check box next to Mobile Network is unchecked, with a red X. Your Wi-Fi should now be on with a green check box. Exit out.

You should also see UMA in upper right corner, and now should be able to access your Wi-Fi network. In order to get back to EDGE, you need to go to Manage Connections again and undo the above.

I don't know why, but my Curve seems to attach to the EDGE signal at my home, and UMA only if I manually turn off EDGE signal.
options > mobile network > connection preference. set this to "wi-fi preferred", hit the back key, select "save", then hard reset the device by pulling the battery while the power is on. wait 30 seconds and put the battery back in.

if this doesnt do it, then it means you have an unusually strong mobile signal near your home (like, you live under a cell tower) and/or your wireless router's signal output has much to be desired.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #8
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

This issue is usually an issue with the router settings. I've seen it occasionally, too.
Closed Thread