BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #1
luxurynick
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: verizon
Default Will the BOLD have Threaded SMS?

Please Login to Remove!

EOM

Thanks in advance guys
Old 05-21-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

i doubt it... i believe it will be some sort of app that will need to be made...
Old 05-21-2008, 07:14 PM   #3
Blackberryer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

One of the most overrated features on the iPhone. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I just don't maintain enough multiple SMS conversations during the day that I require the ability to follow the entire conversation all over again with each new message.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:17 PM   #4
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I feel the same way i just dont understand the ned for this app that these folks are asking for. I delete SMS as soon as i get done reading them.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:47 PM   #5
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (et tu brute'?)

I do the same as Dawg unless I may need that sms ay a later date then I save the message
Old 05-21-2008, 07:57 PM   #6
b00st3d

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

they kind of are already threaded...

if i look at an old sms, it shows the previous sms's from the same person as well.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:44 AM   #7
CrazEtooN
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: iPhne
PIN: point
Carrier: AT&T

Single most overrated feature of the iPhone? You do realize that threaded SMS has been in use and popular since LONG before the iPhone, right? Gotta love the pot shots taken at the iPhone at every opportunity...
Old 05-22-2008, 05:06 AM   #8
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazEtooN View Post
Single most overrated feature of the iPhone? You do realize that threaded SMS has been in use and popular since LONG before the iPhone, right? Gotta love the pot shots taken at the iPhone at every opportunity...
Sounds like you iPhone people are a little over sensitive.

I doubt making SMS better is on RIM's list of things to do but who knows as they are aiming for the consumer market.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:47 AM   #9
g_patrick15
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: 2435646F
Carrier: T-Mobile

The only phones to feature threaded sms are Palm devices running Garnet and the iPhone. Most people use basic to mid tier phones anyway, and as long as you CAN text is all that matters to most. I mean it would be neat, but not at all a deviding factor in a purchase
Old 05-22-2008, 09:06 AM   #10
Blackberryer

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazEtooN View Post
I own an iPhone, I love the device and think it's pretty cool. I'm well aware that threaded SMS has been in use previously, but it was one of the features highlighted with this device. My believing it is overrated extends to its use on *any* device, but it just so happens I was talking about the device that *I* owned.

Did your knee hurt from you jerking it so hard?
Old 05-22-2008, 09:29 AM   #11
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 20FA40E8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberryer View Post
One of the most overrated features on the iPhone. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I just don't maintain enough multiple SMS conversations during the day that I require the ability to follow the entire conversation all over again with each new message.
Threaded SMS has absolutely nothing to do with the iPhone. People have wanted threaded SMS before the iPhone was a glimmer in the eyes of people. The question was always .... "How can I get threaded SMS like my Treo?"

The Treo is what made threaded SMS popular. That being said, I think threaded SMS is extremely convenient. But then again, thats just my opinion.

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus
Old 05-22-2008, 09:46 AM   #12
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
Threaded SMS has absolutely nothing to do with the iPhone. People have wanted threaded SMS before the iPhone was a glimmer in the eyes of people. The question was always .... "How can I get threaded SMS like my Treo?"

The Treo is what made threaded SMS popular. That being said, I think threaded SMS is extremely convenient. But then again, thats just my opinion.
I second that. The threaded SMS is not only convenient for storing messages, but it keeps your conversation organized so looking back at what you said is a snap. If your text messages are only one or two responses before the conversation is over then threaded SMS might be much ado about nothing for you. But if you have 10 or more responses within one conversation then threaded SMS is king.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:36 AM   #13
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
I second that. The threaded SMS is not only convenient for storing messages, but it keeps your conversation organized so looking back at what you said is a snap. If your text messages are only one or two responses before the conversation is over then threaded SMS might be much ado about nothing for you. But if you have 10 or more responses within one conversation then threaded SMS is king.
Yeah. I hold multiple conversations with multiple people throughout the entire day. For someone like me, you almost have to have threaded SMS or things get EXTREMELY cluttered. Between 12 separate conversations I can easily burn through well over 1000 sms messages a day. My messages list is a mess without it being threaded.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:51 AM   #14
Outrigger

Model: 8820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
I feel the same way i just dont understand the ned for this app that these folks are asking for. I delete SMS as soon as i get done reading them.
just because you don't understand the need for it and delete yours as soon as you're done, doesn't mean there isn't a need or a market out there for it. WinMo never had threaded SMS, but there was such a strong demand for it, that when Palm made the Treo 750 running WinMo, they decided to implement threaded SMS just for that device.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:20 AM   #15
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrigger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
just because you don't understand the need for it and delete yours as soon as you're done, doesn't mean there isn't a need or a market out there for it. WinMo never had threaded SMS, but there was such a strong demand for it, that when Palm made the Treo 750 running WinMo, they decided to implement threaded SMS just for that device.
I don't delete them as soon as I get them. I get so many text messages that I don't answer them all right away or I want to refer back to an old one. Nobody I know that uses sms this much deletes each one. We may remove at the end of the day though.

It depends on your situation. If you don't do as much txt messaging then I can see how threaded sms would not be a big deal.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:02 PM   #16
CrazEtooN
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberryer View Post
I own an iPhone, I love the device and think it's pretty cool. I'm well aware that threaded SMS has been in use previously, but it was one of the features highlighted with this device. My believing it is overrated extends to its use on *any* device, but it just so happens I was talking about the device that *I* owned.

Did your knee hurt from you jerking it so hard?
My knee is quite fine thank you.

I don't care if you own an iPhone, love an iPhone, or hate an iPhone, it was unnecessary to bring it into the comment. All you needed to say was that threaded SMS is overrated, without mentioning the iPhone, to get your point across. Threaded SMS has been something asked about for a long time, and it was in fact made popular by other devices long before the iPhone, and most likely stems from things like AIM.

Throwing the iPhone in there for no reason besides just doing it, really leads me to believe it was yet another pot-shot at it.

Last edited by CrazEtooN; 05-22-2008 at 01:18 PM..
Old 05-22-2008, 01:18 PM   #17
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
So how come you picked me out of the crowd to quote when I am not alone in my thinking.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:37 PM   #18
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

ok... i'm confused here... the BB has threaded SMS does it not? when i am SMSing say 5 people at once, and i get a new one from person A, it shows that they said, and when i go to reply it shows everything previously that was sent... isnt that thread SMS?
Old 05-22-2008, 01:44 PM   #19
CrazEtooN
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Scheuer View Post
ok... i'm confused here... the BB has threaded SMS does it not? when i am SMSing say 5 people at once, and i get a new one from person A, it shows that they said, and when i go to reply it shows everything previously that was sent... isnt that thread SMS?
BB has a simplified form of threaded SMS that shows the previous, 7, I think, replies when you go to reply. It is different than true threaded SMS, where the entire conversation plays out on the screen and looks like an IM conversation as opposed to a text message conversation.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:18 PM   #20
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

LOL we need to all chill. I just read a couple of threads where Dawg had to defend himself. LOL.

I just hope someone comes out with a threaded SMS application. I wish they would incorporate it into the messaging application and just provide a switch to turn it on, but I don't think it should be a standard feature because most people don't use SMS as much as I do.

Closed Thread