Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
Christowade

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Device still not Found in DM

Please Login to Remove!

A few weeks ago I posted this on the General Discussion forum, to no avail!

Can somebody help me???

I have a BB 8310 which on delivery (6months ago) installed and worked perfectly - connected to my PC and did all things BB perfectly.

A couple of weeks ago, DM suddenly decided it would not detect the same BB.
I contacted my supplier (Vodafone) and although helpful they suggest the fault is wiith my PC and now disown the problem.
Situation so far:

System - Windows XP Sp2. DM version 4.2.2.14 (as supplied with BB and previously working).

Current situation: on connection I hear double "bongs" indicating connection -on first connect I get appropriate "found new USB devices etc and the installed and ready . . dialogue. BB charges. BB asks if I wish to turn on mass storage. I decline. (if I accept I can access the memory card just fine)
DM announces "disconnected" and will not detect the BB - "device not found" on all connection options. I'v even tried my old BB and that won't connect either.

Remedies tried: Uninstalled DM - full clean uninstall including registries, as per instructions found posted by d-fisher. Re-registered alt.dll. Reinstalled DM . This process repeated approx 20 times. (tried the new version too) No Joy.
Tried alternate USB ports (all direct) vith various verified cables. No Joy.
I have verified all USB references in Device Manager. Blackberry Smartphone is present and claims fo be working. There are no indicated conflicts.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled all instances of USB reported in Device Manager (both Root hub and others. No Joy.
I have checked as best I am able the COM ports COM 1 & 3 on PC and RIM virtual serial ports v2 COM 4 & 5 No conflicts are reported.
I have reinstalled standard modem. Reported to be working.
I have tried connecting BB with battery in, battery out (shaked it all about!!). Still no joy
I have scoured these forums and tried all suggestions. Still no joy!

I have tried all I can think of, can somebody with a better knowlege than mine (and mine is limited) help me please??
Ironically the BB connects perfectly to my laptop.

Secretly I suspect a Windows update might be the cause, but I've no idea which one. It's all a bit of a puzzle.

Help!!!!
Old 04-07-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Wirelessly posted

Is your windows firewall enabled? Try to disable it and see what happeneds
Old 04-08-2008, 03:27 AM   #3
Christowade

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sadly this is not the solution. I do not use Windows Firewall, but with my Anti Virus software (which includes a firewall of its own) fully disabled I still cannot connect. It used to work fine with this AV software.

Still disconnected. . .. . .
Old 04-08-2008, 03:35 AM   #4
Dinan3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: AT&T

try uninstalling DM and re-installing DM from the blackberry website instead of the cd.

better yet, do you know anyone with a blackberry? maybe you can try to see if their computer will recognize your device. if not, then maybe look into re-installing the OS for your device. good luck.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:01 AM   #5
kippaxblue

Carrier: o2

If your pc is set to download windows updates automatically. try checking date the problem started and comparing it to the downloaded updates if they coincide remove said update and try again if it works it is a microsoft update fault (quite common on usb devices)
Old 04-08-2008, 10:16 AM   #6
Christowade

Thank you Diana for your response. I know the "beast" works because it speaks fluently to my Laptop. Unforftunately this is not my main interface and the *** of having to export my diary and Address book to the laptop - synchronise - and then re-export back to the main machine dosen't really bear thinking about!!!

Thanks too Kippaxblue. I have had a bit of a shufti through updates and will give it a bit more attention and see if I can solve this mystery that way.

In the meantime - all suggestions warmly welcomed!!
Old 04-08-2008, 10:27 AM   #7
fadmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Fido

Try this:
Somehow I believe this is the problem:

Disable the Power Management on the USB Root Hub in the Device Manager using the following steps:

1. On the desktop computer, right-click My Computer and select Properties.
2. Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
3. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
4. Right-click the USB Root Hub and select Properties.
5. Click the Power Management tab, and then remove the check from the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box.
6. Click OK.
7. Repeat steps 4 through 6 for each USB Root Hub listed in the Device Manager.

If it does not work then try this if not already:
BlackBerry Desktop Manager cannot detect the BlackBerry smartphone
Old 04-09-2008, 06:27 AM   #8
Christowade

EUREKA!!! Normal service is resumed!!

Thank you one and all for your suggestions and for taking the time to post them. With your encouragement I havae tracked down the cause of the problem.
Quite simply a small programme called LACie Device Updater which stuffs a USB river all over the place - not just in USB Root. Uninstalling it cured the problem at a single stroke.

Thanks again!

Back in the land of the living. . . . Christo
Closed Thread