Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
swampsofatl

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default Incoming call caller ID and *82 incompatbility with Curve

Please Login to Remove!

I have a permanent block on my phone for outgoing calls however I have *82 in front of many of my contacts so that certain people can see my ID. However, with my new Curve, when one of the unblocked contacts calls, the caller ID doesn't recognize them and simply flashes their phone number instead of their name and I, like most people today, don't recognize people by their phone numbers when they call.

The problem seems to be that the caller ID for incoming calls doesn't recognize the number from my contacts whose numbers are preceded by *82. This wasn't a problem with my 8700 but it is with my curve.

Can anyone shed any light on this or recommend how to fix it?

Thanks
Old 03-30-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
DavidRGallagher

Carrier: AT&T

One work around is to add the number without the *82 as a second number in the same person's name in your address book.

Example
John Doe Home - *82-720-555-1212 (will show your CallerID when you call him but will only show his number when he calls you)

John Doe Home 2 - 720-555-1212 (will NOT be used for outbound calling but will allow you to see his name on inbound calls)

or

John Doe Mobile - *82-720-555-1213 (can't send text messages because of *82 prefix)
John Doe Other - 702-555-1213 (can send text here)

This way it will show John Doe's name on Caller ID when he calls.

The only problem is that you will need to remember to initiate a call back to him using the Home contact (with *82) vs. redialing from the call logs because the call logs will not include the *82 entry.

You can use the "other" entry to store cell phone numbers without the *82 prefix for sending text messages.

Hope that helps.

-DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampsofatl View Post
I have a permanent block on my phone for outgoing calls however I have *82 in front of many of my contacts so that certain people can see my ID. However, with my new Curve, when one of the unblocked contacts calls, the caller ID doesn't recognize them and simply flashes their phone number instead of their name and I, like most people today, don't recognize people by their phone numbers when they call.

The problem seems to be that the caller ID for incoming calls doesn't recognize the number from my contacts whose numbers are preceded by *82. This wasn't a problem with my 8700 but it is with my curve.

Can anyone shed any light on this or recommend how to fix it?

Thanks
Old 03-30-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
swampsofatl

Carrier: ATT

Hmmm. Good thinking. Kinda lame, though, that the older Bberry model is more convenient than the newer one.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:01 AM   #4
awni

Model: Curve
Carrier: Rogers
Default Call ID Name not showing up

Hi there,
I have the same issue, however, i don't have any numbers with *82. It is not consistent. Sometimes, for the same number, the name is displayed, and others just the number is displayed!

It is very frustrating that such a high tech machine can function so poorly in the core functions of a phone!
Old 05-12-2008, 08:23 AM   #5
tonyamattox

Carrier: AT&T

I am having the problem of none of my contact names are showing up when I receive a incoming call. Can someone please help me understand this? Maybe I have not ativated something.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:09 AM   #6
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I just turn on hide my number when I dont want them to see my number. I have found that the auto blocking caused me alot of trouble when calling banks and the schools. i didnt want to set up each number so the option in the phone is best for me. just another suggestion enjoy.
Closed Thread