Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 02:40 PM   #1
PabloTX
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Thumbs down RIM & Dust issue

Please Login to Remove!

I called AT&T today because I couldn't take the increasing amount of dust under my screen. The rep said that RIM does not consider this a warranty issue, but a physical damage issue. She gave me the number for RIM and suggested I contact them for repair options. I called RIM and they said they could disassemble and repair it for $190. Bullshit.

I'm going to escalate the issue with AT&T. I've been very happy with them, but I really liked the way Verizon would pretty much swap out the device in store without hassle.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #2
krmtdfrg25
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTX View Post
I called AT&T today because I couldn't take the increasing amount of dust under my screen. The rep said that RIM does not consider this a warranty issue, but a physical damage issue. She gave me the number for RIM and suggested I contact them for repair options. I called RIM and they said they could disassemble and repair it for $190. Bullshit.

I'm going to escalate the issue with AT&T. I've been very happy with them, but I really liked the way Verizon would pretty much swap out the device in store without hassle.
I have had this issue with my curve also. You can easily remove the faceplate and clean the dust. Then I would suggest getting one of those silicone gloves for your BB. this has done the trick for me.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
RoadRider
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

My 8310 accumulated a lot of dust in spite of a silicon skin. ATT replaced it under warranty. Now it stays out of my pocket.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
BBGregPearl

Model: 8530
Carrier: Sprint

I just called T-Mobile and spoke with a customer care person and they told me that the dust issue IS COVERED UNDER THE ONE YEAR WARRANTY from the date of purchase if you have not done a phone exchange before and your warranty is still valid. You just call them and they send you phone and you send your back!

Only downfall is the phone you get is a refurb!

PS. Mine also has a case and mine still has dust. UGH! Now it still in a holster on my hip.

Now with the new and improved 8530.

Last edited by BBGregPearl; 02-01-2008 at 02:54 PM..
Old 02-01-2008, 02:54 PM   #5
PabloTX

It does stay in my pocket and I have had a Shield Zone invisible shield from day 1. I think the most disappointing thing about this is that I finally found a device that I'm happy with (coming from Palm and trying Windows mobile), but the manufacturer won't even stand behind their product.

I'm on the phone with another AT&T rep now letting them know that it's not acceptable.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:03 PM   #6
Holz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTX View Post

yup... i called at&t for the same thing. they told me i could send it in for warranty, but once they see the dust, they'd kick me out a new one and then charge my account for the retail price. my 8300 was BAD! i couldn't see the right half of the screen, even indoors... and the phone was 6 months old. i said screw it and bought the 8310. so far so good, knock on wood. i went to t-mo and bought a black silicone skin (why doesn't at&t sell this???), and it's been great. i like keeping my phone in my pocket, so i'll do the best i can! personally, the red 8310 with a black silicone skin looks SICK!
Old 02-01-2008, 03:03 PM   #7
PabloTX

I just got off the phone with a helpful rep who is doing the exchange. He said that he has added a note to the account that I will be credited if RIM tries to charge me for the swap.

Hopefully it won't come to that, but AT&T swaps sure are more of a hassle than Verizon.
Closed Thread