Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
jrdave2304

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default New 8320 User - A Few Questions

Please Login to Remove!

Hello all. I've been a reader of the BB forums for a few months now as I pondered whether to join the BB cult and I finally cracked and got an 8320. AT&T is my service provider so I obviously had to buy one that was unlocked, and thankfully I found one for a reasonable price. I'm still in college so I can't yet afford the data plan, but will be graduating soon and will most likely be able to afford one then (i've seen all the lectures on data plans and i know how you all feel about BB's w/o one). I just have a couple of questions...

1. Just to double check and make sure I'm not getting charged for browsing the internet, under Options >> Advanced Options >> TCP, there is nothing entered for any of the APN settings. Also under Options >> Advanced Options >> Browser the Default browser configuration says "Wi-Fi Browser". Is there anything else I need to check to make sure I'm browsing the internet solely on wi-fi?

2. Is there an easy way to get all my contacts from my old phone (Samsung A737) to the 8320? I saved them all to the SIM card and nothing shows in the Address Book?

I also welcome any advice you experienced BB people want to give me. Thanks!

Last edited by jrdave2304; 01-09-2008 at 05:46 PM..
Old 01-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #2
nedzalife
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: TELUS

1.) While I'm not a student, I'm in the same boat as you. I do not have a data plan and am trying desperately to find alternatives to not spending money on Rogers' ridiculous data plans charges...

Your wifi browser may not work without the APN settings present. If it does work without the APN setting while on wifi, keep it that way. There's no way for you to get charged doing that. Its like using a wifi laptop when it's configured like that.

If your blackberry has a lower case 'edge' beside its antenna, your account is TCP data plan enabled, meaning either pay as you go (0.05 / Kb) or mobile internet plans (like $5 for 5MB). If your double arrows are not flashing quickly during a data transfer, its using edge, not wifi. wifi traffic is always quick blips on the antenna.

2.) Yes, inside the address book application, open up the menu, and there will be an option for SIM phone book. Then open up the menu again and select Copy all to Address Book.

Good Luck
Old 01-09-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)

1.) I understand that you do not wish to have a BB Data Plan. You need to ensure that you have some sort of Internet or data plan or you risk HUGE charges. Ok, presuming that you have a plan of some sort I am guessing that you are using Opera Mini. If you are using the native BB Browser I am not sure how it is functioning unless they somehow provisioned you with one for which you will be charged. If you are using Opera Mini you can review the link below for APN Settings.

2.) I beleive that nedzalife answered your question.

Good Luck and welcome to the forums!

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 01-09-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
jrdave2304

I just opened up the browser and went to espn.com and it loaded and the whole time there were two blue arrows in the corner blipping on and off. With nothing in the APN settings, that means I'm in wi-fi and not getting charged correct?

Thanks for the fast response and your help nedzalife!

Last edited by jrdave2304; 01-09-2008 at 06:38 PM..
Old 01-09-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
jrdave2304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u View Post
1.) I understand that you do not wish to have a BB Data Plan. You need to ensure that you have some sort of Internet or data plan or you risk HUGE charges. Ok, presuming that you have a plan of some sort I am guessing that you are using Opera Mini. If you are using the native BB Browser I am not sure how it is functioning unless they somehow provisioned you with one for which you will be charged. If you are using Opera Mini you can review the link below for APN Settings.

2.) I beleive that nedzalife answered your question.

Good Luck and welcome to the forums!

E-

I am using the BB Browser for what I said in the previous post. I am looking to get Opera Mini though. What link were you referring me to for the APN Settings?

edit: my 8320 is currently connected to my home wireless network, fyi

Last edited by jrdave2304; 01-09-2008 at 06:40 PM..
Old 01-09-2008, 06:46 PM   #6
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdave2304 View Post
I am using the BB Browser for what I said in the previous post. I am looking to get Opera Mini though. What link were you referring me to for the APN Settings?

edit: my 8320 is currently connected to my home wireless network, fyi

Sorry I forgot to post the link!

Here you go!

What are the TCP and APN settings? - BlackBerryFAQ

And sorry that I missed the whole Wifi statement...it was at the *very* end.

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 01-09-2008, 06:51 PM   #7
jrdave2304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u View Post
Sorry I forgot to post the link!

Here you go!

What are the TCP and APN settings? - BlackBerryFAQ

And sorry that I missed the whole Wifi statement...it was at the *very* end.
Ohh, you thought I opened the BB Browser without having a wi-fi connection active? Since I am connected via wi-fi I should be fine and not getting charged correct?

Last edited by jrdave2304; 01-09-2008 at 06:52 PM..
Old 01-09-2008, 06:57 PM   #8
nedzalife
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdave2304 View Post
I just opened up the browser and went to espn.com and it loaded and the whole time there were two blue arrows in the corner blipping on and off. With nothing in the APN settings, that means I'm in wi-fi and not getting charged correct?

Thanks for the fast response and your help nedzalife!
Yes that should be the case as long as the arrows are blipping quickly. To be 100% sure you can't get charged though, turn off your edge antenna and surf around with just wifi turned on with no APN settings.

Also, OTA installs will work on the wifi browser with no data plan (does for me at least )
Old 01-09-2008, 07:00 PM   #9
nedzalife
Thumbs Must Hurt

if the arrows are mainly solid, it's using edge, if they're blipping like lights on a router or switch would, then it's using wifi
Old 01-10-2008, 07:24 PM   #10
ltj13
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (8320: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Shutting off the radio while you're surfing with wifi might be a good idea...
Old 01-13-2008, 11:47 AM   #11
sharpie00
Thumbs Must Hurt

I just upgraded from a T-Mobile 8100 to a Curve. My phone won't be here until tomorrow, but I'm going through the same thing as you guys. I don't have the data plan because I'm primarily interested in the WiFi browsing.

1. On the Pearl, you can go to Options > Network and turn Data off. Is this the same for the Curve?

2. What about Blackberry Messenger? I'm assuming you have to subscribe to the BB Data plan in order to utilize this. Or will it work over WiFi?

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:12 PM   #12
CurvyBerry

I just got the 8320 myself without a data plan. I currently use wi-fi without a problem and I use BB Messenger as well. I called T-Mobile and they assured me I didnt need a data plan to use the Messenger. They told me it was a BB to BB feature, no need for the plan.

Curvy
Old 01-14-2008, 10:22 AM   #13
two2tango

Model: 8230
Carrier: Tmobile
Question Opera Mini on T-Mobile 8320

Hello BB Gurus,

am a newbie in the BB world. just pulled my trigger with an 8320 with T-Mo. Have a few Qs regarding installing Opera Mini installation.

- Can I install Opera Mini w/o a BB internet plan ? ( I currently only have email plan )
- Can Opera Mini be used with wifi access?
- Do I need to input any settings to make this work?

Any guidance/ links on installing Opera Mini on T-Mo 8320 would be greatly appreciated. I am a little overwhelmed by the depth of info avail here..
Closed Thread