BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
JinFocker
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8530
Carrier: Sprint
Default any free diary software programs out there?

Please Login to Remove!

looking to get a diary software program where i can have time and date stamps. any good programs out there for bb?
Old 11-14-2007, 01:29 PM   #2
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

I was looking for one too. At the moment I just log on to LiveJournal.com and post entries to their online Journal. Works pretty well in the BlackBerry Browser.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:44 PM   #3
dparvin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
Carrier: UK o2

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/125)

That would be handy
Old 11-14-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
KendallParis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8350i
Carrier: Boost

Someone just asked about this a few weeks ago. I'm not going to look for the thread, but they had OTA links for two different ones. I downloaded MOBILEDIARY. You have to type really short entries, but I only needed it to track some readings for my asthma, so that was enough with the time/date stamp.

I don't know if it will be enough for you, but either search for the phrase, "mobilediary" or just look back through a few pages. Hope this helps.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:06 PM   #5
dparvin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
Carrier: UK o2

Thank you here it is http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...k-program.html I will give that a whirl
Old 11-14-2007, 04:24 PM   #6
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS
Carrier: Verizon

Might be overkill, by I keep food, exercise and other journal types of lists/items in IdeaMatrix by RexWireless (REXwireless: BlackBerry Software Applications)
Old 11-14-2007, 06:07 PM   #7
J-Mac
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlackberryBoy View Post
Might be overkill, by I keep food, exercise and other journal types of lists/items in IdeaMatrix by RexWireless (REXwireless: BlackBerry Software Applications)
DABlackberryBoy: Did they ever update ideaMatrix? I was just at the REXWireless site and it is difficult to tell just what the heck version is the latest. (Wish they just would show the latest release available under the link "Latest Release"!)

Thanks.

Jim
Old 11-14-2007, 06:15 PM   #8
J-Mac
Thumbs Must Hurt

Looks like it hasn't been updated - sure is taking a long time.

I hardly use it at all in its current form. Too slow and not linked in any way to my ToDo's.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:31 PM   #9
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mac View Post
DABlackberryBoy: Did they ever update ideaMatrix? I was just at the REXWireless site and it is difficult to tell just what the heck version is the latest. (Wish they just would show the latest release available under the link "Latest Release"!)

Thanks.

Jim
J-Mac,

I am in kind of good with a couple of the RexGuys, so I asked them what was up with ideaMatrix not being out yet since it had been about 2-3 weeks since the todMatrix release. They told me that they had a release all ready , but right before go-live after final testing, some folks on the testing team found a pretty sizable issue/bug. So they went "back to the operating room" with ideaMatrix to reassess and fix. They told me that they did not have an ETA, but would keep us posted as they made progress. So judging by the wait, it was a pretty good issue/bug, which is fine - I would rather them take their time to deliver that good quality they they do. Plus they also threw in that they were "looking into the Outlook integration", but wouldnt give me details.

So I am basically deducing from these events that they are super swamped, with priority probably on the Outlook integration, and prodding ideaMatrix along just whenever they are able to - since more of us were after the 7D todoMatrix release more than anything. Plus there were only going to be updates to ideaMatrix for speed and efficiency, but nothing 7D related, yet.

You should join us at rexwireless.com/forums, chime in! Later bro!
Old 11-15-2007, 01:10 AM   #10
J-Mac
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hi BBBoy.

Thanks. Sure is taking a long time to fix the big stuff, though. It takes such a long time to open that I usually don't bother. Plus, since I can't tie any of the notes there in to my ToDo's, that makes it really nothing but a standalone notepad. Yet it doesn't quite have any of the features that even a plain notepad would normally have.

Of course I have only notepad applications from other platforms to compare to it - I haven't seen any others for the Blackberry. That's my biggest gripe with RIM - they hold back so much WRT their API hooks that no developer has enough to work with to create decent software for BB.

If I do type a note to myself, I can't even go back and mark it up at all to update what is done. For example, a plain old shopping list. On the Palm, WM, and even the old Epoch and Apple Newtons I could either check them off, or change the font to italic and gray for completed items. I can't even add strikethrough to denote an inactive or complete item. No bold nor italic text.

Heck, I am presently using an online list web application that has a web site optimized for mobile devices, and it offers much richer notes than ideaMatrix!

I would have already uninstalled it by now, but since REXWireless has been claiming for months now that a new updated version is expected any day ("There will be an IdeaMatrix release about one to two weeks after the ToDoMatrix release..." ), I have kept it on just so I could quickly update it and see what, if anything, worthwhile they have done with it. But apparently they have changed their plans. So I will most likely be removing it this week.

If you DO hear of any new good notes applications for the Blackberry released, yell for me - OK!?!

Thanks.

Jim
Old 11-15-2007, 04:53 AM   #11
luc-mobile

Model: 8900
Carrier: Claro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinFocker View Post
looking to get a diary software program where i can have time and date stamps. any good programs out there for bb?
Supposing you didn't alter these two default Auto Text entries, try this: open the default Notepad and select New from the menu. Then type ld{space} lt{space}.

If you don't want that in the title, you can do that in the note (and choose another title).

Let me know if it doesn't work and/or you still have no idea what I am talking about. I'll tell you how to put those two default entries back in your Auto Text list.

Last edited by luc-mobile; 11-15-2007 at 04:56 AM..
Old 11-15-2007, 12:46 PM   #12
KendallParis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8350i
Carrier: Boost

I tried it and unless it was supposed to say "Ld lt," it didn't work. Is that supposed to be an automatic time/date stamp?
Old 11-15-2007, 01:10 PM   #13
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Hi BBBoy.

Thanks. Sure is taking a long time to fix the big stuff, though. It takes such a long time to open that I usually don't bother. Plus, since I can't tie any of the notes there in to my ToDo's, that makes it really nothing but a standalone notepad. Yet it doesn't quite have any of the features that even a plain notepad would normally have.

Of course I have only notepad applications from other platforms to compare to it - I haven't seen any others for the Blackberry. That's my biggest gripe with RIM - they hold back so much WRT their API hooks that no developer has enough to work with to create decent software for BB.

If I do type a note to myself, I can't even go back and mark it up at all to update what is done. For example, a plain old shopping list. On the Palm, WM, and even the old Epoch and Apple Newtons I could either check them off, or change the font to italic and gray for completed items. I can't even add strikethrough to denote an inactive or complete item. No bold nor italic text.

Heck, I am presently using an online list web application that has a web site optimized for mobile devices, and it offers much richer notes than ideaMatrix!

I would have already uninstalled it by now, but since REXWireless has been claiming for months now that a new updated version is expected any day ("There will be an IdeaMatrix release about one to two weeks after the ToDoMatrix release..." ), I have kept it on just so I could quickly update it and see what, if anything, worthwhile they have done with it. But apparently they have changed their plans. So I will most likely be removing it this week.

If you DO hear of any new good notes applications for the Blackberry released, yell for me - OK!?!

Thanks.

Jim
Off thread...Heard from RexWireless, they and I quote right of my 8800 "Added some more stuff to it - slowed it down a bit". Wouldnt tell me what things of course, so it is in progress. Now back on thread...
Old 11-15-2007, 03:16 PM   #14
luc-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendallParis View Post
I tried it and unless it was supposed to say "Ld lt," it didn't work. Is that supposed to be an automatic time/date stamp?
Yes. Go to Options and Auto Text. Create this new entry:

Replace:
ld
With:
%D

another one:

Replace:
lt
With:
%T

Now you have Local Date and Local Time.

That is just a suggestion. That's what came configured in the device when I bought it. You can choose other abbreviations instead of LD and LT. You can also combine the two:

Replace:
ts
With:
%D - %T

There, a very convenient timestamp.

I advise you to get more familiar with Auto Text. You can create many useful abbreviations, like message templates and signatures.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:26 PM   #15
J-Mac
Thumbs Must Hurt

@luc-mobile:

That is a nice use of Auto-Text for a timestamp. I've used similar in some PC applications but I never thought to use it on my 8300.

One issue I have, however, is that Auto-Text does not work in the Blackberry browser.

I keep hoping that some developer will come up with a text input program that let's you create your own phrases and insert them anywhere - including the browser.

(Line TapText from Dinarsoft on PPC devices.)

Thanks.

Jim
Old 11-15-2007, 06:15 PM   #16
luc-mobile

Quote:
One issue I have, however, is that Auto-Text does not work in the Blackberry browser.
I'm not sure what you mean. Auto Text doesn't work in input boxes like Google's search box, for example. But Auto Text works fine for me in Text boxes, such as the ones where we type comments and submit them to a forum. Actually, that's how I append my signature in a few forum postings posted from my Blackberry (which I rarely ever do, I prefer posting from the desktop), and it works fine. Please try again.

BTW, I'm not a big fan of Idea Matrix either. I was initially hooked by the extra integration it gives, namely clicking the menu in common applications and sending data straight to Idea Matrix right from there. But time proved that's all it has really. OK, and they understand the importance of keyboard shortcuts. But it still doesn't quite cut it somehow. It's awkward and ugly. I sent several suggestions for improvement of trackIT Custom Edition to the Javatek Media guys. That could be a great information management application if they implement about half of my suggestions (I kind of sort of suggested a bit too much ).

Last edited by luc-mobile; 11-15-2007 at 06:22 PM..
Old 11-15-2007, 06:45 PM   #17
don.new

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

I saw a new Mobile version of Google Notes mentioned somewhere. Might be good...

Last edited by don.new; 11-15-2007 at 06:50 PM..
Old 11-15-2007, 06:50 PM   #18
J-Mac
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by luc-mobile View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. Auto Text doesn't work in input boxes like Google's search box, for example. But Auto Text works fine for me in Text boxes, such as the ones where we type comments and submit them to a forum. Actually, that's how I append my signature in a few forum postings posted from my Blackberry (which I rarely ever do, I prefer posting from the desktop), and it works fine. Please try again.
Really? I will try it on a few different sites.

Once I found that it dod not work on login forms - thus kinda killing any thoughts of using it as a username/login tool - I only tried it on that same web site where I discovered that it didn't work in login forms. Can't remember which site that was - might have been Vitalist or Todoist - but after that plus searching this forum and seeing other posts bemoaning the fact that it doesn't work in the browser, I probably didn't bother again. I will try now, though.

Quote:
BTW, I'm not a big fan of Idea Matrix either. I was initially hooked by the extra integration it gives, namely clicking the menu in common applications and sending data straight to Idea Matrix right from there. But time proved that's all it has really. OK, and they understand the importance of keyboard shortcuts. But it still doesn't quite cut it somehow. It's awkward and ugly. I sent several suggestions for improvement of trackIT Custom Edition to the Javatek Media guys. That could be a great information management application if they implement about half of my suggestions (I kind of sort of suggested a bit too much ).
Same here as far as suggestions go. I definitely use that "Suggest" feature in the menu until it is raw!

IdeaMatrix is not actually a bad idea (no pun intended - really!). But it does need to do a heck of a lot more than it does now. Which is not much at all!

Yet every time I make a suggestion I get a reply stating that their "surveys" and their "user polls" indicate that most users prefer it the way it is now. Personally I have never seen any such surveys, nor any user polls. I really doubt there have been any - at least not in the last year.

IMO, IdeaMatrix is presently overpriced - way overpriced. I see users complain about the todoMatrix pricing, but todoMatrix is actually quite a good application, with a lot of well thought out features - particularly since the 7D implementation. But IdeaMatrix benefits greatly from some of its "twin's" features - the file structure, the unique search facility, etc. What I think it needs - as a bare minimum - to be worthwhile enough to take up so much memory on my 8300 is to be directly linked to todoMatrix. As in create rough ideas in IDMx, develop them there, and when it is time to actually DO something with that "idea", then create a ToDo directly from that idea in IDMx and have it remain forever linked to it. TDMx does not have anyplace to input detail for a ToDo. Sure, you can get I think 256 characters in the title/subject, but then it is no longer a ToDo, but a rambling string of details!

Have IDMx be the breeding ground, so to speak, to grow thoughts and ideas into tasks that belong on an action list. And then leave it always attached - via a link maybe? - to that initial idea note to hold the details, and to allow space for plenty of detailed comments as the ToDo progresses.

But the folks at REXWireless (BB-Boy, you know who!) insist that there are virtually no other users who think this is a good idea at all. Not sure how they know this, but so be it...

Anyway, that's one of my ideas for IDMx. I have more but I won't stay in this thread and keep hijacking it for my rants - probably boring to most. Plus the OP has my sincere apologies for putting this in his/her thread.

Thanks for putting up with my whining!

Jim
Old 11-15-2007, 06:57 PM   #19
StarKnight83
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-mobile

someone mentioned livejournal, ive always found lj2me a great client for LJ and might be worth consideration
Old 11-15-2007, 08:49 PM   #20
luc-mobile

Quote:
But it does need to do a heck of a lot more than it does now. Which is not much at all!
(...)
Anyway, that's one of my ideas for IDMx. I have more but I won't stay in this thread and keep hijacking it for my rants - probably boring to most. Plus the OP has my sincere apologies for putting this in his/her thread.
I don't think it's that off-topic. We're talking about diary programs. Not so different from note taking. But we want different things.

You say that Idea Matrix doesn't do enough, while I think it does plenty. It's just not well designed. Those nested inside nested inside nested folders in Idea Matrix are awful. They certainly conform to some clear logic involving storing lots of diverse things, but that concept didn't really work in my hands. I tried keeping one single level in the folder hierarchy, but it still looked cluttered and clumsy. I just hated it.

You say that Idea Matrix is overpriced, while I think it is overscaled. It's priced high because it can do a lot. OK, it is a bit expensive, but it is justifiable. They made something that scales bravely to the demands of very heavy users. But I think it does not scale at all to light users. I found it unpleasant to use despite two very powerful features, namely the key shortcuts and cross-application menu integration.

And it is bloated. It takes up too much device memory. I think no app should be left running all the time, but it takes too long to start. It was designed to be running all the time. And it requires a connection. Why? That makes it slow and jerky at times. It just freaking takes possession of the device. That is a disaster in my book.

I also dare say that Idea Matrix is not very realistic. Who wants to cram something like that with tons of data with such a tiny keyboard? I want to create the bulk of my data on my desktop, in a format that can be easily shared with other applications, and just use the phone application for reference, copy/paste and minimal editing. Idea Matrix does provide a desktop counterpart, but it's proprietary and subscription-based. I can see their angle, but it doesn't really help my angle.

That's when I ran into trackIT Custom Edition. It is a lot more similar to a true database, it's orders of magnitude easier to share/synch with desktop applications, it is lighter, slicker and almost more agile. Key shortcuts is one of the things it lacks terribly. It has a lot of locked potential.

But that's just me. That doesn't mean Idea Matrix is not good. I wouldn't question their popularity like you did. I figured it was bloated from the first minute that I saw it, but still got interested in it and tried it because I had seen a lot of positive feedback about it. It is a popular application. It just doesn't quite cater to you or me.

Last edited by luc-mobile; 11-15-2007 at 08:51 PM..
Closed Thread