Old 11-11-2007, 11:19 AM   #1
pearltmo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Default Pearl Went Through Washer......PLEASE READ

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, I know this has probably been asked before. My pearl was left in my pocket, and I didnt realize it, and it went through the washer (not the dryer though.) I took it out, the phone was off (I knew this was a bad sign) I let it dry near a heat lamp for a while, then let it sit for about a day. When I was sure it was dry, I put the battery in. The trackball lit up red, then dimmed away . Nothing else happens. I'm sure I can't take it into t-mobile because of the red water indicators. Is there ANYTHING else I should try before buying another phone?
Thanks!
Old 11-11-2007, 11:22 AM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Got Your BlackBerry Wet? - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 11-11-2007, 11:28 AM   #3
pearltmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
I've tried all of that, but taking the pearl apart, because I dont have a torx driver. By the end, the phone had sat for about 2-3 days, with almost a full one of those near a heat lamp. I know the phone is dry now. But, just the trackball lights up, nothing else. Thanks for the help though!
Old 11-11-2007, 11:33 AM   #4
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Looks like it might be time for a new phone...
Old 11-11-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
pearltmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyckitching View Post
Looks like it might be time for a new phone...
Thats what im starting to think.....Im just in denial right now.......By the way....think i could sell it on ebay for anything at all?

Last edited by pearltmo; 11-11-2007 at 11:40 AM..
Old 11-11-2007, 11:49 AM   #6
TylerBoneZJoneZ
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
PIN: INK
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Isn't that what Phone Insurance is for? I recomend phone insurance for everyone who owns any type of cell phone/PDA weather it be Blackberry, Palm Treo, Moto Q, or any other Windows Mobile based phone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearltmo View Post
Thats what im starting to think.....Im just in denial right now.......By the way....think i could sell it on ebay for anything at all?
Old 11-11-2007, 11:51 AM   #7
pearltmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerBoneZJoneZ View Post
Isn't that what Phone Insurance is for? I recomend phone insurance for everyone who owns any type of cell phone/PDA weather it be Blackberry, Palm Treo, Moto Q, or any other Windows Mobile based phone!
Well, when I got the phone, I made the stupid choice to not get the insurance....Because i've never messed up a phone before, i felt invincible with phones....dumb choice i guess....
Old 11-11-2007, 12:13 PM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearltmo
By the way....think i could sell it on ebay for anything at all?
If you do decide to sell it, of course you will list it as damaged/non working...
Old 11-11-2007, 12:15 PM   #9
TylerBoneZJoneZ

OK, Simple, simply call your phone provider and add insurance to your plan, go to one of your phone providers "corporate store" and simply tell them your problem, easy as pie....a corporate store is a store that can do everything for you like exchange your phone ect.

Quote:
Well, when I got the phone, I made the stupid choice to not get the insurance....Because i've never messed up a phone before, i felt invincible with phones....dumb choice i guess....
Old 11-11-2007, 12:26 PM   #10
grandad

Model: 8300
Carrier: Orange UK

Quote:
OK, Simple, simply call your phone provider and add insurance to your plan, go to one of your phone providers "corporate store" and simply tell them your problem, easy as pie....a corporate store is a store that can do everything for you like exchange your phone ect.
Not sure that's the way insurance works!
Old 11-11-2007, 12:32 PM   #11
TylerBoneZJoneZ

I don't see why not? I've done this plenty of times exspecially with Nextel. Phone insurance is for anything that happens to your phone (in most cases) That is covered by your phones warrenty or if it has expired. Simple: They call and get insurance on there phone and go to the phone store and simply state that I acdentally left my blackberry in my pocket and it went through the wash they bring your account up on those fancy computers they have and see if you have insurance, they see you have insurance and say lets see what we can do for you, now unless you have backed up your data on your computer I'm not sure they can get that out of the wet blackberry. They no way of telling how long the phone has been wet and how many days ago it was wet, as long as you state that you dried it out completly. What I have stated above should work without any problem, now I know that providers can differ between providers but most are the same when it comes to insurance, I know some make you pay like 50 bucks to get your phone replaced which doesnt make any sense if you have insurance but Verizon doesnt do this I dont think? I know Sprint didn't and "Cingular"/AT&T did not sure if they still do and I know Cricket makes you pay like $50 bucks even if you insurance to get a new phone. Let me know if you try this and if it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandad View Post
Not sure that's the way insurance works!
Old 11-11-2007, 12:34 PM   #12
pearltmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
If you do decide to sell it, of course you will list it as damaged/non working...
Of course I would. I'm a Super honest ebay seller with 100% feedback!
Old 11-11-2007, 12:37 PM   #13
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

What you are telling them to do is FRAUD!!

In any case most companies only allow you to add insurance within so many days Example ATT it has to be done within 30 Days after that no dice unless you can get a manager to override (rarely happens).

Some companies only let you add Insurance at point of sale!!

This is one of the reasons some companies won't insure smart phones

Last edited by ezrunner; 11-11-2007 at 12:38 PM..
Old 11-11-2007, 12:39 PM   #14
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Agreed.

And most companies will have a "double the co-pay" if something "happens" to the phone in the first 30 or 60 days when adding insurance.

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 11-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #15
TylerBoneZJoneZ

And im sure with all these high prices they set for plans and for the price of phones isnt fraud? LOL you have to cheat the system, they cheat you every month when you send that bill in, why not cheat them? Im almost postive this will work, Like Ive said IVE DONE IT BEFORE --PLENTY OF TIMES, IVE DONE IT WITH NEXTEL ON COUNTLESS OCCASIONS -- SO ARREST ME!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post

In any case most companies only allow you to add insurance within so many days Example ATT it has to be done within 30 Days after that no dice unless you can get a manager to override (rarely happens).

Old 11-11-2007, 12:41 PM   #16
pearltmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u View Post
Agreed.

And most companies will have a "double the co-pay" if something "happens" to the phone in the first 30 or 60 days when adding insurance.
Yes, i'm not going to add the insurance to my plan. I wouldnt feel right about it. I'll probably end up selling my pearl for whatever I can get, then buy another phone. My plans up in January, so Im probably going to switch to verizon and maybe look at the 8130

Last edited by pearltmo; 11-11-2007 at 12:42 PM..
Old 11-11-2007, 12:41 PM   #17
grandad

Model: 8300
Carrier: Orange UK

Quote:
I don't see why not? I've done this plenty of times exspecially with Nextel. Phone insurance is for anything that happens to your phone (in most cases) That is covered by your phones warrenty or if it has expired. Simple: They call and get insurance on there phone and go to the phone store and simply state that I acdentally left my blackberry in my pocket and it went through the wash they bring your account up on those fancy computers they have and see if you have insurance, they see you have insurance and say lets see what we can do for you, now unless you have backed up your data on your computer I'm not sure they can get that out of the wet blackberry. They no way of telling how long the phone has been wet and how many days ago it was wet, as long as you state that you dried it out completly. What I have stated above should work without any problem, now I know that providers can differ between providers but most are the same when it comes to insurance, I know some make you pay like 50 bucks to get your phone replaced which doesnt make any sense if you have insurance but Verizon doesnt do this I dont think? I know Sprint didn't and "Cingular"/AT&T did not sure if they still do and I know Cricket makes you pay like $50 bucks even if you insurance to get a new phone. Let me know if you try this and if it works.

It's dishonest!
Old 11-11-2007, 12:42 PM   #18
jseah

Model: 9530
PIN: 30496979

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post

Verizon allows you up to 15 days after you purchase a phone to add insurance. They do have a program where if you do not have insurance, are not eligible for upgrades, etc. they will sell you a refurb for $50 with a contract extension. I am not sure of the specifics of the program though and I believe that it is discretionary.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #19
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Yes, i'm not going to add the insurance to my plan. I wouldnt feel right about it. I'll probably end up selling my pearl for whatever I can get, then buy another phone
Pealtmo - We know you are going to do the right thing. We were just responding to the individual who suggested that you do something dishonest.
I guess we are getting a little off topic here anyway.

Sorry for your loss and good luck getting back in business. And one last question....are you going to stick with the 81XX or try another model>

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 11-11-2007, 12:44 PM   #20
TylerBoneZJoneZ

Who Cares? I Don't! ... Look if you wanna try it go ahead you got NOTHING to loose, but possibly gaining a new BlackBerry without having to pay full price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandad View Post
It's dishonest!
Closed Thread