housej55
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Latest BES 4.1.4 and Role Based Administration

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,
Is anyone taking advantage of the role based administration on their BES? If so, I have a couple questions. After looking in to this a little bit, it seems that the username you setup are static and do not work with LDAP. Once the username has been established (for say your junior admin), you have to give that account access to the besmgmt database (in sql). Currently I have the DB on a remote sql 2005 box.

My question is, would you load the blackberry manager on the junior admins machine to do the simple administration? If they log on to the server then it defeats the purpose. I would just like to get some more insight of this role based administration. I am a BES administrator for my local site and corporate and would like to limit access.

Thanks in advance,
housej55
Old 11-03-2007, 05:34 AM   #2
sferical
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Voda

Quote:
it seems that the username you setup are static and do not work with LDAP. Once the username has been established (for say your junior admin), you have to give that account access to the besmgmt database (in sql).
There are two ways to add users in to role based admin. Either using sql logins or NT authentication. Both ways actually add the user in to the SQL server as a SQL user. It's then just a matter of how they authenticate when using the BB Manager. So, if you click on add role based user and simply supply a username it will then ask you for a password. This is adding a SQL authenticated user and they will need to supply their password everytime they log on to BB Manager. However, if you put the new role base username in the format domain\username you are adding them with windows NT authentication and it pulls through the Windows logon info when using BB Manager.

Quote:
My question is, would you load the blackberry manager on the junior admins machine to do the simple administration?
Yes. Find your install media and simply install just the BB Manager component on the admins computer. It will ask you for the location of the database. When they first use the BB Manager it will ask for a mailbox. Just use their own rather than the BESAdmin mailbox and voila you have remote admin of the BES.
Closed Thread