BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:43 PM   #1
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long
Default Verizon plans to sell Customer Proprietary Network Information & allow ads to phones

Please Login to Remove!

My apologies if this was posted here already. I searched and did not find anything.

This really ticks me off.
Outrage: Verizon Wireless to Sell Ads on Your Cell Phone « Network Observations

Quote:
Verizon Wireless is mailing a notice advising wireless subscribers that if they fail to Opt Out within 30 days, Verizon will begin SELLING their Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI) to “third parties and affiliates”. CPNI information includes all the calls you place or receive on your cell phone (along with date, time and call duration). Verizon intends to allow “targeted ads” created by their affiliates sent to your phone.
There's more details in the blog. The opt out number is 1-800-333-9956. If you have more than one phone on your plan, you have to opt out for each one.

Other related links:
http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/D...2007-10-16.pdf (PDF)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/16/business/16phone.html

Copy of the Verizon notice from Skydeck:
http://static.scribd.com/docs/15pret7nxlxyh.pdf (PDF)
Skydeck : Get Ready For More Advertising On Your Cell Phone

Verizon Wireless Statement On Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI)

Suggestion for letter/email you can send to the FCC:
Outrage: An Open Letter to the FCC « Network Observations
Old 10-24-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

good post and I agree.
When it comes to privacy it should be
opt-in and not opt-out
But I'm againt all of it
Old 10-25-2007, 12:49 AM   #3
greeneggsandham
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Darby
PIN: N/A
Carrier: FBSD

When I first read this I thought it was a hoax!!! Glad I'm ditching VZW!
Old 10-25-2007, 08:32 AM   #4
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Gotta admit, they are very creative in their search for new revenue streams...
Old 10-25-2007, 10:11 AM   #5
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

well I guess I slip out of the "Fanboy" side here and say I am not happy about this at all.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:42 AM   #6
test54
BlackBerry Master

wow, the CEO leaving the fanboy side? Yeah this is definitely not a good thing, hopefully this will not be the trend among all carriers.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:10 PM   #7
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: Verizon

VZW has the best overall network in the United States in my opinion. It is also my opinion as I have stated previously that it's management has issues. I am beginning to think that the brain trust from AOL has taken up residence at VZW.

I opted out on the five phones I control as fast as I could.

Last edited by TBOLTRAM; 10-25-2007 at 07:46 PM..
Old 10-25-2007, 07:44 PM   #8
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
wow, the CEO leaving the fanboy side? Yeah this is definitely not a good thing, hopefully this will not be the trend among all carriers.
CEO?
Old 10-25-2007, 07:47 PM   #9
DigitalX

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Default Privacy - Promised with a Forked Tongue

Unbelievable. They "pride" themselves on a secure network. They cripple other people's GPS because it's not secure enough. Then they SELL YOUR PROPRIETARY INFORMATION!?!?!? This is horrible. Yeah, their network is the most steady around, but I must say that I'm glad I switched to AT&T. Not that I'm happy with everything, but I must say this is a huge step in the wrong direction for a company that prides itself in going the extra mile to keep your privacy protected. Two thumbs down
Old 10-25-2007, 07:49 PM   #10
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
CEO?
I thought Dawg was the president of VZW.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:30 PM   #11
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalX View Post
Unbelievable. They "pride" themselves on a secure network. They cripple other people's GPS because it's not secure enough. Then they SELL YOUR PROPRIETARY INFORMATION!?!?!? This is horrible. Yeah, their network is the most steady around, but I must say that I'm glad I switched to AT&T. Not that I'm happy with everything, but I must say this is a huge step in the wrong direction for a company that prides itself in going the extra mile to keep your privacy protected. Two thumbs down
First off dont go off topic they dont cripple "other peoples GPS" they cripple it from being used on their network.

well since you switched why even comment? it doesnt effect you now does it?
Sorry for being cruel but I just think that people who dont use verizon dont need to comment because its not their problem.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:51 PM   #12
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
....I just think that people who dont use verizon dont need to comment because its not their problem.
I'm gonna have to agree with ya....
Old 10-25-2007, 09:08 PM   #13
test54
BlackBerry Master

Yeah, i agree for GPS issues but for privacy issues no.

And yes i meant President of VW, not CEO.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:42 PM   #14
DigitalX

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
First off dont go off topic they dont cripple "other peoples GPS" they cripple it from being used on their network.

well since you switched why even comment? it doesnt effect you now does it?
Sorry for being cruel but I just think that people who dont use verizon dont need to comment because its not their problem.
Easy now. The topic is privacy, so this is very much on topic. You're just playing semantics when you use the big font. Verizon cannot cripple anything that is not on their network, or else they'd be in one heck of a legal battle now wouldn't they? Yes, the rationale for crippling the GPS was that other GPS services weren't secure enough ... which was the entire point of my post. Don't get bent out of shape about it, I'm not making it up. I didn't think you were being cruel, just rude.

And just for the record, I've been a Verizon customer since before the company had that name and before cell phones existed, so yeah, I think I have the right to comment on it. If you disagree, that's fine, but no need to get personal if you disagree with my comment.

Last edited by DigitalX; 10-25-2007 at 11:45 PM..
Old 10-26-2007, 12:08 AM   #15
greeneggsandham
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
I'm gonna have to agree with ya....
So should one just pass on by when they see someone being physically abused by thugs because it's not their problem or should they try to render assistance? While it might not be your immediate problem today, left unchecked, it could well be tomorrow. As members of a society we all have a responsibility to participate in the shaping of that society. It's called "being a good citizen".

P.S.; This is the "Rants and Raves" forum, after all....

Last edited by greeneggsandham; 10-26-2007 at 12:11 AM..
Old 10-26-2007, 06:43 AM   #16
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneggsandham View Post
So should one just pass on by when they see someone being physically abused by thugs because it's not their problem or should they try to render assistance? While it might not be your immediate problem today, left unchecked, it could well be tomorrow. As members of a society we all have a responsibility to participate in the shaping of that society. It's called "being a good citizen".

P.S.; This is the "Rants and Raves" forum, after all....
apples and oranges my friend. That would be pysical abuse and you have a duty to humanity.

we are taking comanys where you can walk away as a customer

and @ digi no it was way off topic this is about privacy not the GPS deal that every other thread onthe board has been about stick to the topic at hand and thats privacy.

Ok you Were a customer so you were unhappy and left so no you dont have the right to comment any more it doesnt effect you at all so please refrain from the conversation at hand.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:31 AM   #17
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Law enforcement agencies must be pretty happy. No more need for a warrant to pull logs on phones. Just buy the damn thing.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:52 AM   #18
greeneggsandham
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
apples and oranges my friend. That would be pysical abuse and you have a duty to humanity.

we are taking comanys where you can walk away as a customer
The thug that's committing battery is breaking the law. In this instance VZW is also breaking the law, albeit via a crafty loophole, but bottom line is that they are knowingly and purposely violating the intent of the law. Both the the thug and VZW are using their "superior" might and force to perpetrate a crime against their victims. Perhaps I'm overreaching but to me they've more in common than not.

Quote:
and @ digi no it was way off topic this is about privacy not the GPS deal that every other thread onthe board has been about stick to the topic at hand and thats privacy.
I agree they were not addressing the specific topic at hand. Given the forum this thread was posted in, however, I don't feel they we're too far off topic by ranting about vzw and gps.

Quote:
Ok you Were a customer so you were unhappy and left so no you dont have the right to comment any more it doesnt effect you at all so please refrain from the conversation at hand.
Since requiring two year service contracts have become the rule these days, many people are not free to leave without paying substantial early termination fees. Especially true for those with multiple lines.

We're in process of moving off vzw and still have an account with them. I don't think it matters though, as the larger issue here is privacy, which should be of concern to all cell phone users since if vzw is allowed to get away with this then other carriers will likely follow suit in their pursuit of profits. Hence, I believe everyone has a right to comment on this whether vzw customer or not. The OP is encouraging people to contact the FCC and I would like to echo this statement to all US bb users.

Last edited by greeneggsandham; 10-26-2007 at 10:54 AM..
Old 10-26-2007, 11:15 AM   #19
Dawg
No longer Registered.

why contact the FCC they arent going to do anything about it. I just called an opted out just like I did for the telemarketing.

I see physical violence much different than you do then. I dont consider invading privacy by a telcom company anywhere near a thug beating some one up.

anyways Ill just leave this one to you folks.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:45 AM   #20
greeneggsandham
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
why contact the FCC they arent going to do anything about it. I just called an opted out just like I did for the telemarketing.

I see physical violence much different than you do then. I dont consider invading privacy by a telcom company anywhere near a thug beating some one up.

anyways Ill just leave this one to you folks.
Both are involve victims being taken advantage of by a stronger force abusing their superior power. Yes, physical violence is more serious, pressing, and in need of immediate remedy so in that regard I heartily agree with you that they differ. However, those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it - our liberties are not stolen from us not all at once but rather piecemeal, bit by bit. So in terms of potential cumulative effect they are not so far apart.

Dawg, my intent here is not to argue with you personally, but rather discuss the issue at hand because I feel it is of importance, not merely in and of itself, but in the larger scheme of things, as this is one more example of an increasing trend that many find disconcerting. Thanks for the opportunity to clarify this relationship, as I suspect we would agree on much of the underlying principles at hand.

btw- I've tried to opt out twice now and the "system was unable to process your request at this time". Apparently volume of customers opting out exceeds vzw's processing capacity. Irritates me that not only do they put the onus on me to opt out but that I apparently will have to make multiple efforts to do so before I succeed. Anyone else experiencing this?

Last edited by greeneggsandham; 10-26-2007 at 11:47 AM..
Closed Thread