Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
zsasbo

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Would like to turn off Push-Screen only when typing

Please Login to Remove!

I would like to have the ability to turn off the "Push" mechanism requirement on the software when typing so that it is a simple touchscreen typing mode. Anyone figure out how to do this?
Old 03-27-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
70seven
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Bell Canada

I think you would do allot more typos that way, just my opinion.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsasbo View Post
Anyone figure out how to do this?
Yes get an iPhone. Your device was never designed to have that feature "turned off."

I'm assuming you have a Storm? Your profile indicates a Pearl, but a Pearl doesn't have a push screen...

Last edited by CO_BBTechie; 03-27-2009 at 02:53 PM..
Old 03-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
zsasbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70seven View Post
I think you would do allot more typos that way, just my opinion.
I use suretype mode when typing cuz my thumbs are so big I get tons of errors when in landscape. I think it would be so much faster without having to press the screen in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
Yes get an iPhone. Your device was never designed to have that feature "turned off."

I'm assuming you have a Storm? Your profile indicates a Pearl, but a Pearl doesn't have a push screen...
Um...no shit it wasn't designed that way, that's why I am asking the question as to whether or not someone has figured out a way...maybe with additional software or some trick.

Thanks for noticing my profile hasn't been updated. I do have a storm and will update the profile accordingly.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
bkeen

Model: 9530

You have to remember, the screen is ONE HUGE BUTTON. The device doesn't know recognize your key stroke unless you push in the button. That is simply the design of the Storm.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
zsasbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeen View Post
You have to remember, the screen is ONE HUGE BUTTON. The device doesn't know recognize your key stroke unless you push in the button. That is simply the design of the Storm.
Understand this completely. However, the system does recognize where you place your finger prior to pushing the button. So the software could theoretically be taught that only when typing, it should override the pushbutton and use the location recognition as the keystroke.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #7
CO_BBTechie

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsasbo View Post
Um...no **** it wasn't designed that way...
Such lovely language.... Fan-frackin-tastic. Good luck with that then....
Old 03-27-2009, 03:46 PM   #8
zsasbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
Such lovely language.... Fan-frackin-tastic. Good luck with that then....
thanks captain obvious...i'll just run off and get my iPhone now.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:47 PM   #9
arche3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: verizon

Opera mini bypasses the click for links on the web page .
So I don't think it is impossible. I would probably type faster without the click as well.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #10
bkeen

I see your point with the whole knowing where you are pressing on the screen without actually clicking it. It is almost like when you single click on an icon on your PC. It would be interesting to see an APP can be developed to make this happen. The only problem I would see from a personal standpoint is that I know personally, I would have way more typos if I didn't have to actually press in the screen.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:21 PM   #11
Vizvzw

Carrier: vzw

Yo zsasbo,

I understood what you where asking from the very first post.
Here's the deal, this phone being still so new, and the tools that are out to allow us to customize this phone, and Just breaking thru the first layer of Ice.

Such as themes, sound bindings, Key bindings, Key animations, custome cursors. The typical stuff that is easly marketable.

What you are wanting to do, yea, tottaly do'able. Its just a matter of time befor somone can view the right command line with in the phones OS, that toggles that feature on/off or some other variable.

Im native to BB's and there phones OS programing (gettting better). But I used to have a good time with motorola RSD software that gave us a world of options, letting us hack up the OS to do what ever we wanted..

Im sure more tools will be comeing out shortly.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:27 PM   #12
zsasbo

I know we are just scratching the surface on this new phone. Was just curious if anyone had heard of an app or solution out there yet. Will probably re-visit in 6 months if it ends up no one has seen anything yet. The comment above about the Opera mini software gives me hope Thanks!
Old 03-27-2009, 04:33 PM   #13
bkeen

Yeah, I'm sure we'll see it at some point. With all the changes that came out with the beta OS releases, I'm sure it might be something RIM will be looking at even more so if it means RIM can convince people the Storm and BlackBerry in general is the way to go.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:22 PM   #14
arche3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: verizon

to be honest... I would prefer not to have to click screen. makes me type slower. On my HTC touch diamond I installed haptic feedback on the keyboard. It gave a very very slight vibrate whenever you touched the keys. that was enough for me. I could type crazy fast on the diamond suretype keyboard one handed.

the storm screen is so big that there is little chance for me to hit the wrong button so I don't need the click to type correctly.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:40 AM   #15
zsasbo

thanks! You hit the nail on the head!
Old 03-28-2009, 01:33 PM   #16
muratcolakoglu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Vodafone

"Push" mecanism is the most innovative and revolutionnary feature of the BB Storm. Do the following:

First of all take out the film which they put on the screen at the factory, and don't put any other protector on the screen, put your finger gently on the screen and start to glide smoothly on the surface, when you are on the right place just tap, do never rise up your finger from the screen to retap, always keep smootly your finger gliding on the screen. You will see this is easier then the conventional keyboards. I am sure you will get addicted to write with the new keyboard.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:07 PM   #17
zsasbo

tried that...doesn't work for me. It doesn't recognize which finger I want to use since I use two thumbs to type. The point is that the glass is so thick and cumbersome that this slows things down. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:47 PM   #18
mhuckaby

Carrier: VZW

Some people love the click, some hate it and some are in-between. Just give us an option to turn it off. It can be done. It's a software thing. After having mine since launch day, I definitely know that I type much slower on the Storm than I did on my Voyager. I would like to try it without the requirement to use the SurePress click.

I also want my sound back and all of the other messed up things to work right too. I'm hoping we have an update sometime this year.

Mark >
Old 03-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #19
zsasbo

agreed!
Old 03-29-2009, 08:26 PM   #20
zero7404

PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

the surepress feature gives the phone substance above and beyond an iphone. i like it, and would not want to turn it off, even if that option were available....