BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9500 Series Discussion - Storm (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Would like to turn off Push-Screen only when typing (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=183346)

zsasbo 03-27-2009 02:19 PM

Would like to turn off Push-Screen only when typing

I would like to have the ability to turn off the "Push" mechanism requirement on the software when typing so that it is a simple touchscreen typing mode. Anyone figure out how to do this?

70seven 03-27-2009 02:36 PM

I think you would do allot more typos that way, just my opinion.

CO_BBTechie 03-27-2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zsasbo (Post 1334858)
Anyone figure out how to do this?

Yes get an iPhone. Your device was never designed to have that feature "turned off."

I'm assuming you have a Storm? Your profile indicates a Pearl, but a Pearl doesn't have a push screen...

zsasbo 03-27-2009 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70seven (Post 1334871)
I think you would do allot more typos that way, just my opinion.

I use suretype mode when typing cuz my thumbs are so big I get tons of errors when in landscape. I think it would be so much faster without having to press the screen in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie (Post 1334886)
Yes get an iPhone. Your device was never designed to have that feature "turned off."

I'm assuming you have a Storm? Your profile indicates a Pearl, but a Pearl doesn't have a push screen...

Um...no shit it wasn't designed that way, that's why I am asking the question as to whether or not someone has figured out a way...maybe with additional software or some trick.

Thanks for noticing my profile hasn't been updated. I do have a storm and will update the profile accordingly.

bkeen 03-27-2009 03:17 PM

You have to remember, the screen is ONE HUGE BUTTON. The device doesn't know recognize your key stroke unless you push in the button. That is simply the design of the Storm.

zsasbo 03-27-2009 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkeen (Post 1334917)
You have to remember, the screen is ONE HUGE BUTTON. The device doesn't know recognize your key stroke unless you push in the button. That is simply the design of the Storm.

Understand this completely. However, the system does recognize where you place your finger prior to pushing the button. So the software could theoretically be taught that only when typing, it should override the pushbutton and use the location recognition as the keystroke.

CO_BBTechie 03-27-2009 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zsasbo (Post 1334912)
Um...no **** it wasn't designed that way...

Such lovely language.... Fan-frackin-tastic. Good luck with that then....

zsasbo 03-27-2009 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie (Post 1334930)
Such lovely language.... Fan-frackin-tastic. Good luck with that then....

thanks captain obvious...i'll just run off and get my iPhone now.

arche3 03-27-2009 03:47 PM

Opera mini bypasses the click for links on the web page .
So I don't think it is impossible. I would probably type faster without the click as well.

bkeen 03-27-2009 03:56 PM

I see your point with the whole knowing where you are pressing on the screen without actually clicking it. It is almost like when you single click on an icon on your PC. It would be interesting to see an APP can be developed to make this happen. The only problem I would see from a personal standpoint is that I know personally, I would have way more typos if I didn't have to actually press in the screen.

Vizvzw 03-27-2009 04:21 PM

Yo zsasbo,

I understood what you where asking from the very first post.
Here's the deal, this phone being still so new, and the tools that are out to allow us to customize this phone, and Just breaking thru the first layer of Ice.

Such as themes, sound bindings, Key bindings, Key animations, custome cursors. The typical stuff that is easly marketable.

What you are wanting to do, yea, tottaly do'able. Its just a matter of time befor somone can view the right command line with in the phones OS, that toggles that feature on/off or some other variable.

Im native to BB's and there phones OS programing (gettting better). But I used to have a good time with motorola RSD software that gave us a world of options, letting us hack up the OS to do what ever we wanted..

Im sure more tools will be comeing out shortly.

zsasbo 03-27-2009 04:27 PM

I know we are just scratching the surface on this new phone. Was just curious if anyone had heard of an app or solution out there yet. Will probably re-visit in 6 months if it ends up no one has seen anything yet. The comment above about the Opera mini software gives me hope :) Thanks!

bkeen 03-27-2009 04:33 PM

Yeah, I'm sure we'll see it at some point. With all the changes that came out with the beta OS releases, I'm sure it might be something RIM will be looking at even more so if it means RIM can convince people the Storm and BlackBerry in general is the way to go.

arche3 03-27-2009 10:22 PM

to be honest... I would prefer not to have to click screen. makes me type slower. On my HTC touch diamond I installed haptic feedback on the keyboard. It gave a very very slight vibrate whenever you touched the keys. that was enough for me. I could type crazy fast on the diamond suretype keyboard one handed.

the storm screen is so big that there is little chance for me to hit the wrong button so I don't need the click to type correctly.

zsasbo 03-28-2009 08:40 AM

thanks! You hit the nail on the head!

muratcolakoglu 03-28-2009 01:33 PM

"Push" mecanism is the most innovative and revolutionnary feature of the BB Storm. Do the following:

First of all take out the film which they put on the screen at the factory, and don't put any other protector on the screen, put your finger gently on the screen and start to glide smoothly on the surface, when you are on the right place just tap, do never rise up your finger from the screen to retap, always keep smootly your finger gliding on the screen. You will see this is easier then the conventional keyboards. I am sure you will get addicted to write with the new keyboard. :)

zsasbo 03-28-2009 05:07 PM

tried that...doesn't work for me. It doesn't recognize which finger I want to use since I use two thumbs to type. The point is that the glass is so thick and cumbersome that this slows things down. Thanks for the input.

mhuckaby 03-29-2009 04:47 PM

Some people love the click, some hate it and some are in-between. Just give us an option to turn it off. It can be done. It's a software thing. After having mine since launch day, I definitely know that I type much slower on the Storm than I did on my Voyager. I would like to try it without the requirement to use the SurePress click.

I also want my sound back and all of the other messed up things to work right too. I'm hoping we have an update sometime this year.

Mark ;-)>

zsasbo 03-29-2009 06:14 PM

agreed!:smile:

zero7404 03-29-2009 08:26 PM

the surepress feature gives the phone substance above and beyond an iphone. i like it, and would not want to turn it off, even if that option were available....