LuisT
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: Ask for it.
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Sidekick LX Vs Blackberry Curve: T-Mobile Style :P

Please Login to Remove!

Hey Guys,

This will be my first thread on this forums. Okay, well I bought a sidekick lx about 4-5 days ago from t-mobile.. And I like it, its just I kind of got bored with it already.. And then I looked at the blackberry curved and it surprised me. Because, well I have never really been a blackberry fan, * Had lots of bad experiences with them * So, I was still have 7 more days to return my LX. Now I was wondering, would it be worth trading it in? I am bit nervous, because well most people say that the blackberry is a " Business " phone.. I am still in high school and do not need any business time things just YET. So, I was wondering, if the internet is good on the blackberry curve and how much would it cost to get unlimited texting + data on the blackberry compared to the $29.99 that includes everything *sidekick data plan*. Can you please list out the goods and bads of the blackberry curve. And how your experience was! I had a blackberry pearl, and I hated it. Though, I liked the camera.. Lol.

Thanks!

-Luis
Old 07-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
The BlackBerry Kid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: it is under my battery, and status page

i am in high school and have the pearl, many people in my school have smart phones, it is the thing to have, like ipods were at first
i have a friend from work, she had a SK LX for a few months and got sick of it , and then got the Curve. she got the gold one and loves it.
internet is great, and the unlimited everything data plan is $19.99 a month for the BlackBerry, $10.00 less a month than the SK LX.

Return the SK LX and get the curve, it is a smaller and better phone and you will be much happier with it, just make sure you get a warrenty for the 2 years to fully protect it, BlackBerry is way better in technology and quality aka bang for the buck than Sharp is with the sidekick, and the curve had a waaay better camera, a 2.0 over the SK LX's 1.3

GOOD BAD CHART:
good: BlackBerry
bad: Sidekick

any questions?

get the curve!
good day
hope i helped
anthony
the blackberry kid.

Last edited by The BlackBerry Kid; 07-01-2008 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 07-01-2008, 07:31 PM   #3
BCollins521
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: Ask...

Wirelessly posted

Wow ok....the sidekick is good for what it does and the Curve is great for what it does. Your going to get more people to say get the Curve over the sidekick cause this is a BB forums. It is well worth it. My co-worker has a LX and I have a Curve. The LX has gotta be their best sidekick thus far (3 was crap, and 2 was alright, ID was a joke) you will enjoy the Curve more than the sidekick. The BB internet is great compared to other smartphones. Both BB and the Sidekick's internet is loaded on the manufacturers server so it loads faster and looks good.

I have used her LX and it is nice in its own way but if you ever want to do things on it you have to pay extra for this app and that app. BB are like that too but there are a ton of freeware stuff that fits people's needs. Since you said you were in high school your ringtone is probably going to change every other day....the Curve is great for that cause you can use any mp3 for ringtones. The sidekick you have to pay I believe, or maybe the LX you can use your own. Themes...a lot are free on the BB, sidekicks aren't so many. The list can go on..

Bottom line is the Curve and the Pearl are great media devices. I think you will enjoy the BB more than the sidekick.

Brian

Get My Themes Here! | [email address] | Twitter
Old 07-02-2008, 12:41 AM   #4
Ben850
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: G1

Wirelessly posted

Unlimited texting/email/internet for the SK LX is 20$ a month. I think all that is a little more for the BB... But if 5 or 10 extra bucks a month isn't an issue for you then I'd surely go for the curve. Its actively updated(had the SK LX for a year and didn't get a single update) and it is just leaps and bounds better than the LX when it comes to quality, multimedia, and putting your own pop3 emails in the phone.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:43 AM   #5
BCollins521

Wirelessly posted

The update for the LX is a great update and should have been implimented when it was first released. My partner hasn't got the update yet but it's apprently already hitting people

Old 07-02-2008, 01:00 AM   #6
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

I switched from a Sidekick 3 to the BlackBerry 8800. It's definitely a change but here is my take on it (note that these are only my personal opinions and others may have other experiences):

- Better battery life. Whereas I had to charge my Sidekick at least once a day, I can go one and a half to two days without charging the 8800.
- Better signal - this one is a killer for me. You might be already familiar with the "two dot death" where the Sidekick will get stuck between having no reception and reception - you can make phone calls/send SMS texts, but you can't do anything data-wise. My hometown is a teensy little town, and I get more bars (and keep my data) when I visit home now with the 8800 as opposed to SK3.
- Better applications/media - the Sidekick is locked down to only the choices in T-Mobs' download catalog. This adds up really quickly if you are a ringtone addict or application addict (which I am) and the great part about the BB is that you can find the same things that you had for the Sidekick for free now for a BB.
- Smaller phone. I loved the Sidekick for the ease of using it, but it's a big phone, especially when you open it. It's thick and clunky, and BBs are not only smaller, but the keyboard is already right there and not hidden away. It's much easier to slip into a pocket (though you'll find on these forums that doing that is frowned on!) and just easier to carry in general.

I would add in that it has a better keyboard, but since you have the LX and I only had the 3, I feel like that's not a fair comparison to add in. I also cannot compare the camera quality since my 8800 has no camera, but Sidekicks are pretty notorious for poor camera quality. Also - Sidekick Unlimited is a 19.99 add-on to a voice plan and includes unlimited web browsing (data) and SMS/MMS. Unfortunately, the BB plan from T-Mobile is not the same price BUT it is worth every penny. BlackBerry Unlimited Add-On (called BIS here on the forums, and the data plan you would be using with a Curve) is 19.99 a month PLUS $15 for unlimited texting, should you choose to add the unlimited option. A plain data plan plus unlimited texting with NO voice minutes would be 39.99 + 14.99 a month, so it's cheaper to go with a voice plan and the add-on... or BlackBerry Minutes & Mail, which gives you unlimited SMS/MMS/data plus 1000 minutes a month for 59.99.

As I said, it is more expensive but well worth the price. The Curve is not necessarily a business-only device and would be a great phone, should you choose to buy it. Granted, I never owned the LX and the OTA update coming for it very soon (Sidekick LX OTA hits the streets June 25th, contains madness : Boy Genius Report) sounds pretty great as well. Speaking as a former Sidekick user/owner who made the switch to BlackBerry... well, let's just say I haven't looked back since. Because of that, my list of things is slightly biased, and I haven't mentioned the things that Sidekicks are better at - such as the fantastic integrated instant messaging that no other device has. I don't regret the change, but there's nothing wrong with the Sidekick line either. They're good phones, but overall, Blackberrys are simply capable of more and better at what they do.

Last edited by rachamphetamine; 07-02-2008 at 01:09 AM..
Old 07-02-2008, 01:05 AM   #7
The BlackBerry Kid
CrackBerry Addict

i get unlimited blackberry for $19.99, then 9.99 for my line, then 4.99 for 500 texts.
i'm on a family plan of 3.
hope we helped you finalized your decision to get the curve, yes get the curve.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:05 AM   #8
BCollins521

Wirelessly posted

I forgot about the sidekick losing signal...there has been times my co-worker lost internet on her sidekick when I was trucking away on my Curve

Old 07-02-2008, 01:06 AM   #9
The BlackBerry Kid
CrackBerry Addict

so it is settled, the Curve is better than the SK LX.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:07 AM   #10
styxgroupi

Model: 8330
PIN: acle of love
Carrier: Alltel

Wirelessly posted

The only "bad" I can say is I still can't view incoming videos! Called alltel today because it keeps sending mr text to view at their site only can't do that either they told me the curve was built more for business... That's the only thing I wish I could do. I say get the curve, I did and am thrilled!
Old 07-02-2008, 01:07 AM   #11
BCollins521

Wirelessly posted

Hey BBKid, you know you can get the unlimited text for the whole family for like 19.99 or 14.99? I was lucky and got it when it first came out and only pay 9.99 for unlimited text, picture, and IM for the whole family plan.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:08 AM   #12
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCollins521 View Post
Wirelessly posted

I forgot about the sidekick losing signal...there has been times my co-worker lost internet on her sidekick when I was trucking away on my Curve
This was the most irritating thing about owning a Sidekick to me. It's not even so much loss of signal as it is the sudden disappearance of data capabilities.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:10 AM   #13
BCollins521

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachamphetamine View Post
This was the most irritating thing about owning a Sidekick to me. It's not even so much loss of signal as it is the sudden disappearance of data capabilities.
Haha...I don't know how many times she has said "Dancing dots" or whatever the sidekick's slang term is
Old 07-02-2008, 01:13 AM   #14
beyondalegend
CrackBerry Addict

Model: BOLD

Curve all the way!!!!
Old 07-02-2008, 01:13 AM   #15
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Haha, dancing dots was exactly what I called the two dot death - where it would get stuck on the two stupid dots and all you could do was sit there and watch them, praying service would come back to you..
Old 07-02-2008, 01:13 AM   #16
The BlackBerry Kid
CrackBerry Addict

yeah, the guy told us that
i havent even hit 100 texts yet and i am half way through the billing month. my mom didn't want to pay it, but for us it isn't needed, it would be a waste.
i have had tmobile since 2005, with the ancient 1 year plan of 60min a month, then it was a 2 year 1000 minute family plan, and in april i upgraded to the pearl after a year and a half with the moto razr that had like a month left of reliability, it was time to call it quits, plus my mom wanted to add my sister to the plan, she had the nokia 5300. mom had the blue samsung slider, don;t know the model number

she had tmobile since 2001, and my moms whole side of the family has tmobile

i love them they are my favorite, best bang for your buck.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:15 AM   #17
BCollins521

I have had T-Mo going on 5 years now...well it isn't in my name any more since my mother gets the government discount so my wife and I are under her name We text more than we call...I think between me and my wife we put away like 10k of texts a month...that's not counting what my mom does now that we got her into texting
Old 07-02-2008, 01:19 AM   #18
The BlackBerry Kid
CrackBerry Addict

i used about 75 texts and we used a total of 130ish minutes last month, my sister did that by talking to her friends.

my dad has a 8820 by AT&T from work, so it is just mom, sis, and myself on the family plan. it is in his name though because he got my mom the first tmobile phone, but he has nothing to do with it now, she does all the work, but i am the tech info guy in my house, so they come to me with phone questions all the time.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:21 AM   #19
BCollins521

Ah...well back to the topic! Get the Curve return the LX....you'll be happier Lol
Old 07-02-2008, 01:22 AM   #20
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

I agree... I can simply do more with my 8800 that I could with a SK, and I can imagine even more can be done with the Curve.
Closed Thread