silvertint
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Fido
Default Call Waiting - 8330

Please Login to Remove!

BB 8330 (Bell Mobility)

I was wondering why my call waiting is so flaky ?? When I am on a line, I get a busy signal to notify me of a 2nd call, I hit the flash button and the call isswitched. The flaky part is here, when I want toogle between both callers I once again use the flash key but my call display does not toggle, it stays fixed on the 2nd caller, so I have no idea which line I am on anymore ??

Has anybody else experienced this, is there a solution or is this just a design flaw with CDMA ??

Thanks
Old 06-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #2
silvertint

bump
Old 06-27-2008, 07:24 AM   #3
sd5187
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: Rogers

I have had some problems with call waiting on my 8310 also. Try pulling the battery and resetting the device - this sometimes resolves the issue for me.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:06 AM   #4
kalinka
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT and verizon

This is a design flaw. You can toggle between the calls but the display stays on the second number. It's kind of odd because every other cell phone that i have had will display the number that you are actually have on the line with so it cant be that hard to get it right but both my 8130 and 8330 does that so I am assuming this is just a blackberry issue. If you get a lot of calls (which i do) in a day it can become very confusing if you have to make call backs as you are not seeing the correct number displayed for the person you are speaking to if you have picked up a second call while in the original call.

I did write to RIM about it as it is clearly a design bug but never heard anything back.

Kalinka
Old 06-28-2008, 06:04 AM   #5
silvertint

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalinka View Post
This is a design flaw. You can toggle between the calls but the display stays on the second number. It's kind of odd because every other cell phone that i have had will display the number that you are actually have on the line with so it cant be that hard to get it right but both my 8130 and 8330 does that so I am assuming this is just a blackberry issue. If you get a lot of calls (which i do) in a day it can become very confusing if you have to make call backs as you are not seeing the correct number displayed for the person you are speaking to if you have picked up a second call while in the original call.

I did write to RIM about it as it is clearly a design bug but never heard anything back.

Kalinka
Not the answer I wanted to hear, but Thank you very much

I too get a lot of calls in a day and it is at time very confusing !!! You would think that RIM would correct this issue. I too will contact RIM and try to see if something can be done for future FW upgrades.

Thank you
Old 06-28-2008, 06:44 AM   #6
faerie

Model: 8330
Carrier: us cellular

that could be potentially problematic esp if you want to talk bad about someone on the other line ;)
Old 06-28-2008, 08:19 AM   #7
kalinka
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertint View Post
Not the answer I wanted to hear, but Thank you very much

I too get a lot of calls in a day and it is at time very confusing !!! You would think that RIM would correct this issue. I too will contact RIM and try to see if something can be done for future FW upgrades.

Thank you
I find it the most frustrating part of the blackberry experience. I guess I think of this device as superior to a lot of what is out there, and no other device that I have had did this. I have made some serious errors due to this little glitch. I have called the wrong people back or attached the wrong number to patient notes. Having the correct number display with call waiting is just a "normal" cell phone function... one would expect more from a smart phone. All I can say is that eventually you get used to it. I think I wrote to RIM more than once and I tried calling them but apparently you have to go through your provider or you have to pay for the phone call and the ticket they make up. If you call Verizon all they do is say that its RIM and they will fill out a ticket. Ultmately the issue does not get addressed.

Kalinka
Old 06-28-2008, 08:26 AM   #8
joeygator
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Sprint

I use the 8330 as well. On occasion, I have popped up the list using the menu button and pressed flash, this seems to work better than hitting send to switch calls. Call handling is definitely not as good on CDMA as it is on GSM. My 8703 had the same problem.

I use upwards of 5000 minutes a month and do use call waiting a lot. In my area, I like the call quality better so it is worth putting up with for me. Try the menu list and see if selecting flash there makes a difference.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:27 AM   #9
kalinka
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeygator View Post
I use the 8330 as well. On occasion, I have popped up the list using the menu button and pressed flash, this seems to work better than hitting send to switch calls. Call handling is definitely not as good on CDMA as it is on GSM. My 8703 had the same problem.

I use upwards of 5000 minutes a month and do use call waiting a lot. In my area, I like the call quality better so it is worth putting up with for me. Try the menu list and see if selecting flash there makes a difference.
Joey does it display the correct number when you switch back to the original caller?
Old 06-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #10
joeygator

Carrier: Sprint

I tried to do it this morning and it didn't work the way I thought it did before. I was stuck with the wrong name regardless of which line I was on.

I do think it is a CDMA issue. But I have only ever had bbs on CDMA.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:56 AM   #11
dhendriksen

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Oh no!

Finding this thread confirmed my worst fears. I have had T-Mobile for the last 10 years, and have been using a Curve with OS 4.5. I recently switched to Verizon, and got an 8330. I immediately update to 4.5.0.101 (application version 4.5.0.77) and thought everything was perfect. I got a call waiting come in, and took the new call. Being that the screen just showed the new call, I thought it had disconnected the first call! To make a long story short, it looks like this is a CDMA thing.

On my GSM Curve, when a call comes in you can accept - hold current, accept - drop current, or ignore. If you select accept - hold current, the screen shows the call that is on hold and says it is on hold, and above it shows the call that is active. You can press swap to bounce between the two, and the screen stays up with which call is actually active. This flash option and having the screen stick on the second call that came in regardless of what actually happens, is a flaw I do not know if I can live with.

Can someone else confirm that this is indeed an issue with the way CDMA handles multiple calls vs. the way GSM handles them?

Thanks - the increased coverage is great, but this is a real problem for me as I get TONS of calls.

D
Old 09-07-2008, 08:16 AM   #12
kalinka
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yep its a flaw, the screen will show the number of the second caller and stay that way when you go back to the original call. It can get very confusing if you take 3 or 4 different calls while on a call.
I find if frustrating and I have written to RIM for what its worth but that was a long time ago. I have never had a regular cell phone that had that issue so it can't be that hard for them to get it right but apparently that problem is not going away any time soon

Kalinka
Closed Thread