BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #121
reggiebyrd

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint

Please Login to Remove!

im going with the Bold, its just the smart thing to do.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:18 PM   #122
stranger
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: rogers(thiefs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
Yup .. I just took a very fast look. The sheer number of launcher replacements, themes, and project by even big name companies is enough to tell me people in general hate the WM interface. Even HTC is doing their damndest to hide the interface. Smartphone.net yielded SEVERAL pay interfaces to do the same thing.

Nobody tries to hide or mask the BlackBerry or iPhone interfaces because well ... thats what most people like. Microsoft really needs to get their act together and rework their entire interface from crapdom.
haha thiss is sooo true. i retract my latter comment.
but still wh do they make us choose, its too hard to decide.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:26 PM   #123
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 20FA40E8
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
Yup .. I just took a very fast look. The sheer number of launcher replacements, themes, and project by even big name companies is enough to tell me people in general hate the WM interface. Even HTC is doing their damndest to hide the interface. Smartphone.net yielded SEVERAL pay interfaces to do the same thing.

Nobody tries to hide or mask the BlackBerry or iPhone interfaces because well ... thats what most people like. Microsoft really needs to get their act together and rework their entire interface from crapdom.
haha thiss is sooo true. i retract my latter comment.
but still wh do they make us choose, its too hard to decide.
I would rather have a choice than someone telling me what I should use. Just pick the one that's best for you. They are two completely different devices. The iPhone is more fun. Great entertainment device. Blackberry is not as fun, but makes a much better email and messaging device.

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus
Old 06-13-2008, 05:39 AM   #124
atuarre
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi5 View Post
This is perhaps the dumbest reason to buy a phone.
I just explain it how it is. If you do not like the facts, don't shoot the messenger.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:13 AM   #125
tND2k
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Typing: I've been on iPhone since the release (I know, poor me the $100 beta tester). The typing is totally personal preference. I didn't like it at first, I love it now and can smoke any BB typer, just like any halfway seasoned iPhone user.

I'd like to reinforce what a couple people have already mentioned..

** Do not be fooled by the $199 iPhone2 pricetag**

You'll pay more for data, you'll pay an annual fee to take advantage of their new push system. Great upfront cost, not so great backend costs. Easily makes the BOLD competitive at a higher price.

What I'm not excited for is losing my huge screen and amazing web browsing experience. Even if the BOLD has a good browser, it still won't be able to touch the browsing experience of the iPhone. That's not even up for debate :p

My only reason for switching to the Bold is PIN messaging, as I need it for work. There's no way to use PIN on other phones is there?
Old 06-13-2008, 10:34 AM   #126
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tND2k View Post
can smoke any BB typer, just like any halfway seasoned iPhone user.

Thats a pretty bold statement to make.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:14 AM   #127
hnsimpson
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130
PIN: pm me for it
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
Thats a pretty bold statement to make.
pun intended?

-simpson

-Young MC
Old 06-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #128
zkyevolved
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 25707D3B
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsimpson View Post
pun intended?

-simpson
lmao! That's funny .

But I really think that each person has their preferences. For example. I can type really fast on the curve but not on the 8800, because of the keyboard lay out. I'm getting a really cheap iphone soon, the old one, cuz I don't really care about the 3g-ness or the gps. So I'll let you know. hehe. I'll miss PIN Messaging, too :( and multi-tasking (leaving apps open) and JiveTalk! but hey, I'm not getting rid of my blackberry hehe.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:04 PM   #129
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsimpson View Post
pun intended?

-simpson
not intentionally but it is pretty funny
Old 06-13-2008, 03:31 PM   #130
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

how long before we add the Android threads to the mix? then we get another group.
Apple, RIM, Android, WM.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:18 PM   #131
Semi5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T
Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tND2k View Post
You'll pay more for data, you'll pay an annual fee to take advantage of their new push system. Great upfront cost, not so great backend costs. Easily makes the BOLD competitive at a higher price.
Hey, dont get me wrong, I think the Bold looks great, but you do realize that the iPhone 2 data plan is now on par with the Blackberry plan costs. So you cant use data costs as a reason to switch.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:47 PM   #132
Frank Castle

Model: 9930
PIN: PM Me!
Carrier: VZW
Default Blending

Hi

Late to the thread as I've been wrapped up in the Blackberry: Beyond Email tour.

Unsure how anyone can state how good or not the Bold will be as the only people that have them are at&t reps and RIM personnel. The limited access at WES didn't give a real test other then checking it out.

I'm fortunate to get pretty much every device that comes along and support close to 3,000 moible devices. No doubt people will want (umm expect) Iphone as I get calls every week about it. My take as a admin is totally different then a consumer but I also do like gadgets.

The iphone is a slick device, I've had the EDGE version since pre-launch and have OS 2.0 loaded on a couple. It's so amusing reading the digs on Windows Mobile yet the Iphone will be using the same crappy ActiveSync connection. So anyone who's used WM .. the email experience is pretty much the same .. don't expect it to work and having to kick start the sync and you'll love it.

I have no doubt Apple will attract a very large portion of the consumer market as they have the "hype" and most users in this segment want music, video and web with a little messaging. Throw in a couple games and some lightweight apps and they are pigs in mud. The funny thing is Apple is killing themselves being tied to one carrier here in the states. The growth will all be in other 3G areas (Europe etc) as the states have a LARGE segment in the CDMA world (Verizon, Sprint) so all those people that want a smartphone as their contract comes up .. are moving to a Blackberry. You know how many soccor moms I see with Pearls now?

RIM also has the advantage of having different models and lower prices, sure the Bold will likely cost more then then iphone but the Curve and Pearl are now $100 and under. So it makes interesring times. You can't say RIM only has X amount of users are a large # of those users have been added the past 2 years as mobility takes off. Without EDGE and now 3G iphone would never work, it requires bandwidth. Blackberry has (yes slowly) taken on more functionality and they are pretty comparable so it's a tough choice if you had to pick one.

Now I am sick of hearing all about the FANTASTIC SDK, yeah it's great if all you want to do is develop for iphone. Blackberry dev tools align with industry standards - Visual Studio, Eclipse, Java. Blackberry's error is not tooting their own horn and marketing it to death. Apple did one thing - they opened up a lot of peoples eyes to how large smartphone market is becoming and what is possible. I think once the dust settles you will find the major applications on both platforms as what developer wants to limit their income (even moreso with Apple taking a bite out).

I could go on and on but we are arguing about personal preference, what I want in a device is totally different then the next person. Just try whatever device out and remember 2 years is a long time to settle with a device you wind up disliking!
Old 06-13-2008, 08:51 PM   #133
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiebyrd View Post
im going with the Bold, its just the smart thing to do.
And getting an iPhone is a dumb move? I think your comment was a dumb one. Both will be GREAT devices. If you love messaging and email but want an uncomfortable web experience go BlackBerry. If you love a comfortable mobile web experience and entertainment platform but do not put importance on messaging and email go iPhone.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:05 PM   #134
Rat_Boy

Model: 8310

What makes the iPhone so bad for messaging? I mean, other than the typing issue on the touch screen, is there something so bad about it?
Old 06-13-2008, 09:14 PM   #135
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat_Boy View Post
What makes the iPhone so bad for messaging? I mean, other than the typing issue on the touch screen, is there something so bad about it?
For corporate customers who send extended email all day yes, that is an issue. iPhone supports exchange (now), but will not let you check Outlook Web Access unless you use Safari. And right now, messaging applications are very limited on iPhone with absolutely no real MMS capability. So ya ... bad for messaging.

When I was pure iPhone I felt disconnected. I was unable to recieve pics my friends were sending me ... and was unable to actively chat all day using Yahoo or AIM. SURE there is JiveTalk with Safari ... but that is not a true connected solution. Its good if you want limited messaging.

Last edited by numetheus; 06-13-2008 at 09:16 PM..
Old 06-13-2008, 09:33 PM   #136
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jletendre View Post
Hi
Now I am sick of hearing all about the FANTASTIC SDK, yeah it's great if all you want to do is develop for iphone. Blackberry dev tools align with industry standards - Visual Studio, Eclipse, Java. Blackberry's error is not tooting their own horn and marketing it to death. Apple did one thing - they opened up a lot of peoples eyes to how large smartphone market is becoming and what is possible. I think once the dust settles you will find the major applications on both platforms as what developer wants to limit their income (even moreso with Apple taking a bite out).
Your joking right? A fantastic SDK is good for more than developers. A fantastic SDK means that applications can be easily and rapidly developed, and support native features of the platform. A platform with a fantastic SDK will get developers to flock to it and develop high quality apps. A platform with a so so or crap SDK will not draw developers to the platform, and give lower quality software when they do decide to develop apps.

BlackBerry dev tools work with industry standards, but have you seen the simplistic BlackBerry apps compared to everything else for other platforms? We have absolutely no quality high end games, they are all simple 2D affairs we see on EVERY mobile phone.

The proprietary SDK Apple is using gives the developer the ability to create apps that look fantastic and are developed much more quickly that using other toolkits. Their toolkit contains software that allows developers to create advanced 3D games that look more like a portable console than a mobile phone.

Without a fantastic SDK, the platform will not have any of those apps. Unless BlackBerry switches their toolchain, BB will not get advanced 3D entertainment or high quality apps. And I don't care how fast you make the device. Because of the SDK, you will get much more high quality software on the Iphone end ... A LOT more than on the BB end.

Last edited by numetheus; 06-13-2008 at 09:34 PM..
Old 06-13-2008, 09:48 PM   #137
Frank Castle

Model: 9930
PIN: PM Me!
Carrier: VZW
Default I get it now.

It's the lacking of games! .. I think you will find a Nintendo DS or Sony PSP the perfect device for you, they just need to get email working on them. If the majority of the AppStore is going to be entertainment focused Apple will never get Enterprise traction and be labeled just another ipod gadget.

Simplistic? I think people have been living under a rock the past year or so.

Telenav - pretty much the mobile standard for GPS mapping. (I think they even have some "3-D")

Bloomberg for Blackberry - pretty much exact copy of the Bloomberg desktop experience, prob never heard or used this since while I'm making $$$ your moaning the lack of quality gaming on the Blackberry.

E-Trade for Blackberry - ditto

WorldMate live - fantastic travel tool for road warriors

InfoSpace Findit! - Best use of LBS I've seen yet.

While I agree the BB web experience is not as robust, it's more then functional and when you visit a properly formatted site for mobility (most of the major ones are now) it's actually a faster experience vs. the constant tap, expand, tap, zoom aspect of the Iphone. Just give me the data.

So you can see there are two different markets out there, professionals who depend on their device to communicate and conduct business, an extension of their office (or in some cases the office is mobile) and casual consumers who have different needs and want nicer graphics, a robust web experience etc.

I feel most of us are the expection and often carry more then one device.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:57 PM   #138
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
It's the lacking of games! .. I think you will find a Nintendo DS or Sony PSP the perfect device for you, they just need to get email working on them. If the majority of the AppStore is going to be entertainment focused Apple will never get Enterprise traction and be labeled just another ipod gadget.

Simplistic? I think people have been living under a rock the past year or so.

Telenav - pretty much the mobile standard for GPS mapping. (I think they even have some "3-D")

Bloomberg for Blackberry - pretty much exact copy of the Bloomberg desktop experience, prob never heard or used this since while I'm making $$$ your moaning the lack of quality gaming on the Blackberry.

E-Trade for Blackberry - ditto

WorldMate live - fantastic travel tool for road warriors

InfoSpace Findit! - Best use of LBS I've seen yet.

While I agree the BB web experience is not as robust, it's more then functional and when you visit a properly formatted site for mobility (most of the major ones are now) it's actually a faster experience vs. the constant tap, expand, tap, zoom aspect of the Iphone. Just give me the data.

So you can see there are two different markets out there, professionals who depend on their device to communicate and conduct business, an extension of their office (or in some cases the office is mobile) and casual consumers who have different needs and want nicer graphics, a robust web experience etc.

I feel most of us are the expection and often carry more then one device.
Sure there are a few good examples. Compare though, the library of S60, WM and Palm. BB does not compare. I have yet to find good personal finance management for BB. The #1 best sellers on handango are all crap compared to what I was using in WM and Palm back in the day.

I'm talking about the OVERALL library. While there are good high quality software out there, there are not many. It takes a lot longer to develop a high quality app like that for BB that it would be for the Apple SDK. They gave some developers a very limited amount of time (2 months?) to see what they could do. The results were apps with quality I have NEVER seen in a BlackBerry program.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:02 PM   #139
Rat_Boy

Model: 8310

Thanks Nume.

The only thing important to me are emails, and mostly just reading them.

Don't do a lot of texting or chatting.

So it sounds like either device will work for me really.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:04 PM   #140
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
They really don't need enterprise traction. The first release was proof enough people love the device. TONS more look up to it, but at those prices could not get one. The new price points for iPhone 3G will drive its popularity through the roof. People look at it as just another ipod gadget? Are you kidding me? Show me another device with as much name recognition and popularity as the iPhone.

Closed Thread