BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 12:46 PM   #1
Jay9989

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AllTel
Default New to BlackBerry - have some problems.

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everyone. I was lucky enough to find this forum site. I hope someone on here is able to help me. I have two main problems right now.

I just got my BlackBerry Pearl 8130 this week. I moved from a Samsung Hue. Its a nice phone and i think it looks fantastic. My problems however are this.

1. The keys on the phone were originally lit up when i got it. THey kind of glowed with a white light. After the middle of the second day the light went off and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it to come back on. I read someone elses thread on here who said the phone was sensative to light and it would only come on under the right lighting conditions in the environment the phone was in. I tried having the room be totally black- nothing happened. Then i turned on some lights so it was very bright, again nothing happened. I would very much like to know how to fix this problem, or be made aware that the phone is broken and thats why the keys no longer light up.

2. I was able to send picture messages on my old phone, the Samsung Hue. I don't seem to be able to do this on the BlackBerry Pearl8130. Unless its sending the picture to someones email that is. I have a shared plan with my girlfriend. She uses a LG phone I forget the model. It doesnt support her checking her email. I use to send her pictures here and there to her phone, but now unless I'm again doing somthing wrong am not able to send any pictures directly to her phone.

Thanks for reading and for any help I might receive. It would be greately appriciated and would help me relieve some of my frustration.

Jay9989
Old 06-08-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

First of all, do you have a BB data plan?

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 06-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #3
sh0n
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Your keys and ball lighting up are all based off of a light sensor. bet if you go into the dark or you try in lower light the light will live once again.

As for MMS, just go to your messages, and press the menu key, then Compose a MMS, or if you're on a picture (it cant be super huge), and press menu, it will prompt to send via email MMS or messenger contact, hell even yahoo IM I believe .

Good luck.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
Papa-Pompous
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: 31AE1088
Carrier: U.S. Cellular

The light sensor sounds broken so idk I'll look into that, but as for the MMS messages you will need to compose a MMS message with picture and send to yourself. And that sets the system of some carriers to allow your phone to accept pictures.

Something I've had a problem with are certain MMS messages with picture and sound that are sent to me but I never know about it. Hope I helped some!
Old 06-08-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
Papa-Pompous
Thumbs Must Hurt

Okay well did you check the screen/keyboard option under options. Cleck it and go down to backlight brightness and correct me if i'm wrong but I believe that is for both the screen and the keyboard. Hopefully that'll help!
Old 06-09-2008, 01:20 AM   #6
Jay9989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
First of all, do you have a BB data plan?

I believe so.

Personal Cell Phone Plan - Alltel Wireless

Thats the link to my carriers smartphone plans. I have the 109.99 plan.

and to answer the other posts. My backlight bightness is at its maximum and I dont get any light behind the keys. They don't light up even if im in a dark room were i can't see 3 inches from my face.
My only email is a hotmail account. I put in the email/pw info and t doesnt accept it. Says their is some kind of error. I wanted to do that so I could maybe send myself an email with a picture if I understood that idea correctly. I don't have any other options for texting other than SMS and it offers no option to add any pictures or video's to them like I could do on my older phone using the same carrier.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:19 PM   #7
heffman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW

...you need a BB data plan to send picture / MMS messages from your BB. A traditional smartphone data plan will not suffice. That is also the reason you can't establish your email.

As for your backlighting, sounds like the light sensor is broken. Did you drop it or get it wet?
Old 06-09-2008, 01:47 PM   #8
tschweitzer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

I could be wrong, but I didn't think Alltel did MMS on the blackberry.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
Jay9989

BlackBerry ® Internet or Enterprise Service is all my plan says about anything associated with a BB that i have seen. So I'm guessing AllTel isnt a great carrier for taking advantage of the BB features?

Light sensor broken is probably the other problem based on the responses and what i've seen with it. I'll have to not buy from that same place again. I got it from an eBay store. It was advertised as brand new but when i got it I had to put in my MDN and my phone # in a few other spots that already listed a different #. The CSR at AllTel told me it was a mississipi # and they didnt know 100% but it seemed that the phone had been activated under someone elses name previously. Does anyone else know more on this? I would normally think those spots would be clear of any phone #'s if the phone was truly brand new.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #10
Phranc
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschweitzer View Post
I could be wrong, but I didn't think Alltel did MMS on the blackberry.
That is correct, Alltel doesn't do MMS on Blackberries.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:06 PM   #11
Jay9989

I really love BB now. Its by far the best phone i've had. I wish I could switch to a better carrier to fully utalize it. I live far out in the country, the only people who do my area are AllTel and US Cellular.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:27 PM   #12
Papa-Pompous
Thumbs Must Hurt

Dude I have US Cellular and I absolutely love them. They have the best customer Service I've ever seen and they have a pretty nice coverage area. Depending on your area of course. But they give you 30 days to try them out and you can back out during that time.