Old 03-26-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
dwoloz

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default No data access with 3rd party programs, help

Please Login to Remove!

I have an 8830 on Sprint SERO without the BB plan

I know because I do not have the BB plan I cannot use any of the built in BB features such as push e-mail and the browser, I don't care about this.

I however have installed the Gmail application, Google Maps and Opera and none of them are able to access the regular Power Vision data access to the internet, it receives no data and times out.

I've wiped the device which didn't work. I also tried downgrading to a previous OS version, did not work either.

Anyone know what to do here? (And please do not tell me to get the BB plan, other users have successfully used applications like Opera on normal Power Vision without the special BB plan)

Last edited by dwoloz; 03-26-2008 at 06:53 PM..
Old 03-26-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g)

See http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/H...eric_Data_Plan. Check yourself and make sure you've done everything. I'm wondering if you configured TCP.

ADDED: http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/W...PN_settings%3F

Last edited by aiharkness; 03-26-2008 at 07:09 PM..
Old 03-26-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
dwoloz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post

See How to use BlackBerry on Generic Data Plan - BlackBerryFAQ. Check yourself and make sure you've done everything. I'm wondering if you configured TCP.

ADDED: What are the TCP and APN settings? - BlackBerryFAQ
Hi,

Thanks for your reply

I have seen those lists for APN but Sprint is never listed. I was also under the impression that APN/TCP setting modification was only required for GSM providers and not CDMA providers like Sprint. If you could clear up this confusion I would be much appreciative
Old 03-27-2008, 06:36 AM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

You are probably right, dwoloz, and probably my bad. I'm going to go look at the faq again. I know zip about other than gsm blackberrys.

ADDED: Yes, my bad.

Last edited by aiharkness; 03-27-2008 at 06:58 AM..
Old 03-27-2008, 06:43 AM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Well, you know the obvious answer

Honestly, Opera Mini is just buggy in working at first. OFTEN, I have seen users say it just won't work, and then a day later they tell me it just started working out of the blue.

Pull the battery after the OM install... and good luck.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:45 AM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I think you need the BB dataplan for GoogleMaps. Map data is downloaded as needed, not stored on the device or SD card. I have not heard of being able to access either GoogleMaps or BBMaps via anything other than a BB dataplan.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 03-27-2008, 06:46 AM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Some other things to look at:

Do you have an IT policy on the blackberry? (Go options > security options > general settings. Scroll down and look under services. If you have anything other than no services, then that could be your problem. If so, see http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-...tml#post467078.)

Look at application permissions. Go options > advanced options > applications. Highlight the application, bring up the menu, select edit permissions, and take a look. Change as needed and try again.

Reset firewall prompts and try again. Do same as above, except select reset firewall prompts. Also, check in security options, and if firewall is enabled, try it with firewall disabled. (If the firewall is enabled and you are unable to disable it, that would be IT policy, and there is a good chance even a blank policy will not fix.)

Just some ideas.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:04 AM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I'm going on the OP's observation that others are doing on the same service what he/she is trying to do. If that's a valid observation, then I suspect JS may be onto the right answer: buggy, works sometimes, and sometimes not . . . In the case of opera mini, anyway.

But I only know about using gereric data plans what I read. However, a blackberry data plan makes a lot of headaches go away, that is for sure.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #9
dwoloz

My Blackberry 8830 works with data now!! Woohoo!

I used the Sprint eCare ticket system to send a support ticket saying I couldn't get 3rd party programs like Opera and Google Maps to connect to the internet. After several of these tickets sent, I surprisingly received a personal phone call from a support rep from Sprint who actually spoke and understood English. What she told me to do was go into settings, then go to mobile network, then hit the menu button and go to "Start Provisioning". After that...it worked! Now I have instead of just a 1x icon a 1xEv icon and can use all data services
Old 04-03-2008, 06:01 AM   #10
pallavik
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
Carrier: Vodafone UK
Default Opera Mini on BB 8820

Hi there, trying to get Opera Mini to work on my 8820 here: when I click on its newly created icon it will say "installing" and then a window pops up stating "The application Opera Mini has requested a socket connection to server4.operamini.com". below there are a couple of boxes to tick/untick and the two buttons to allow or deny connection. I click "allow" and nothing happens until the whole process times out and I get a message to look up the Opera Mini help page and/or check my settings with provider.

The settings I copied from the Nokia N73 I have run until recently - and worked perfectly for it - so I can't see them being wrong, still the gprs/edge on the stand-by screen are in lower case which means no data. Where is the snag then?

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:40 PM   #11
0deuce0

Model: pearl
Carrier: cingular

ok... so did you get the google apps working as well? I have opera working, but none of my google apps...

--tom

http://www.falkens-maze.com/
Old 05-24-2008, 05:33 AM   #12
Foxglove
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: o2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallavik View Post
Hi there, trying to get Opera Mini to work on my 8820 here: when I click on its newly created icon it will say "installing" and then a window pops up stating "The application Opera Mini has requested a socket connection to server4.operamini.com". below there are a couple of boxes to tick/untick and the two buttons to allow or deny connection. I click "allow" and nothing happens until the whole process times out and I get a message to look up the Opera Mini help page and/or check my settings with provider.

The settings I copied from the Nokia N73 I have run until recently - and worked perfectly for it - so I can't see them being wrong, still the gprs/edge on the stand-by screen are in lower case which means no data. Where is the snag then?

Thanks.

if you are on a pay monthly contract the APN settings for Vodafone are :-

APN = internet
Username = web
Password = web - if these do not work you can try leaving user name and password blank.

Pay and go APN

APN = pp.vodafone.co.uk
Username = web
Password = web.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:59 AM   #13
dualsub2006
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
PIN: Head
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoloz View Post
My Blackberry 8830 works with data now!! Woohoo!
You should keep an eye on your data usage. Paying by the MB can get expensive fast the way that the Gmail app always downloads messages and checks constantly for new. Also, Google Maps will use a lot of bandwidth every single time that you use it.

You might say that you have no use for a BlackBerry plan but you might find it cheaper than pay as you go usage.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:19 PM   #14
0deuce0

Model: pearl
Carrier: cingular

well... got mine to work with just the sero plan! Thanks for the info! The big question is where do you find the google apps to install on your phone from your PC? I cant do the OTA install since I dont have a blackberry plan...

http://www.falkens-maze.com/
Closed Thread