Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 07:33 PM   #41
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-24-2007 at 06:48 PM..
Old 11-07-2007, 07:35 PM   #42
whdigital
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srwilliams View Post
He emphatically said to me that the two will not work together and explained why. He stated the UMA or wifi that the curve operating system is using is on the same freguency as the bluetooth is on. Yherefore, he stated, as of this date, the two functions cancel each other out. .....
....For certain, the supervisor of the UMA Group said emphatically that bluetooth devices for the most part will not work with the T-mobile wifi setup or UMA, as they use the same frequency.

That is totally ridiculous and misinformed on his part. I'm telling you it works fine for me in 5 locations, 5 different WAPs and 3 different BT headsets, and on .175 and .180 no difference between the two. Can somebody explain to me how this is is a "known" problem when many of us are fine?
Old 11-07-2007, 07:49 PM   #43
Srwilliams
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

Quote:
Originally Posted by whdigital View Post
Can somebody explain to me how this is is a "known" problem when many of us are fine?
But so many of us are not fine. No one is saying that this is a universal problem that affects all. But if it is affecting a large populace then something is wrong. I mean, for those of us who are affected, we are not just imagining the issue or creating a false problem. What good would that do.

I certainly wish I was one of the fortunate ones and did not have this problem. But I followed the advice of some of the other forum members and registered my concerns with T-mobile and they were indeed aware of the issue and have been revceiving complaints and concerns about the matter. I wish I could offer more.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:58 PM   #44
whdigital
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Crap, I sounded negative and in-sensitive to the issue when I didn't mean too! What I wanted to point out is that the problem is NOT as indicated by the UMA Support Supervisor or whoever it was. ...And if they bark up the wrong tree at RIM it won't get fixed because RIM will be smart enough to proclaim that T-mo CSR doesn't know what they're talking about!

I am very concerned about this issue and regret that I sounded otherwise...
UMA was one of THE chief reasons I switched to T-Mobile and the BB8320. Bluetooth NEVER worked right for anything on my Treo, so I was excited when it paired and worked fine with the Curve. If there's a problem between the two, regardless of my particular experience, I want RIM working on it.

Having said all that though, I'll stand by my point that it's really wrong for anyone to say that BT and UMA are inherently incompatible. BT uses Adapative Frequency Hopping or FHSS across 79 1mhz frequencies 1,600 times per second. WLAN (WiFi) uses Direct Sequence Spreading (generally speaking anyway) Now, since Adaptive Hopping was implemented in v1.2 of the BT spec. I definitely wouldn't trust anything older!
Old 11-07-2007, 09:34 PM   #45
Srwilliams
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

Whdigital:

Thanks for understanding the plight of some of us.

I must admit that what you say makes sense. I was not knowledgeable enough to be able to argue with or dispute the points raised by the T-Mobile supervisor. After reading the points you so well raise, I am really confused and at a loss.

Your insight on this matter has been greatly appreciated, and thanks again for hoping that your fellow forum brothers' problems get resolved
Old 11-08-2007, 09:41 AM   #46
Runamuck
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srwilliams View Post
As I represented I would, I called T-mobile and registered my concerns with this problem. I was sent to the UMA group and I spoke with a supervisor there. He was very knowledgeable about the problem as the UMA group have been getting complaints about the UMA and Bluetooth problem. He emphatically said to me that the two will not work together and explained why. He stated the UMA or wifi that the curve operating system is using is on the same freguency as the bluetooth is on. Yherefore, he stated, as of this date, the two functions cancel each other out. He stated it is just like when 2.4 Ghz phones interfer with internet service. Yet 5.8 Mghz frequencies do not interfere with internet connections.
Which only goes to prove my point about how inept tech support is on these matters. The supervisor, the top of the ladder here, stated that UMA and Bluetooth won't work at ALL. Look around the forums. Some people get it to work just fine. I can't, with 2 different BT headsets (Jawbone and Plantronics 655) and 2 different routers set on all channel combos between 1-11. Others on these forums say it works fine for them even with identical equipment as my own.

Tech support for Tmobile, and most other CE firms, are a CYA investment and nothing more. They are a colossal waste of time for anyone other than the complete neophyte consumer, which I acknowledge may make up the bulk of the consumer population. Spending time with the BEST of them results in minsinformation, sometimes institutionalized to the nth degree.

I once spent an entire afternoon online with tech support at my ISP. I had paid for a high-speed connection and was getting LESS speed after the upgrade than before. I reset my router 4 times, upgraded the firmware twice, changed BIOS settings...did all the stupid drone tricks on the guys checklist. When he asked me to reinstall Windows, I flipped out and called a friend of mine at the corporate office who patched me thru to a higher tier tech support. 10 minutes with him and we determined that the BILLING system for my account hadn't been flagged properly to give me the new higher speed....he switched it, I throttled up almost immediately.

Don't waste your time jumping thru the drones hoops. Either short-cycle the process and go around it to RIM directly or don't waste your breath.

Last edited by Runamuck; 11-08-2007 at 09:48 AM..
Old 04-02-2008, 06:27 PM   #47
dentalrep
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

I am using my Bluetooth headset with UMA with the beta 4.5 software on the Curve. The new software fixed my issues with UMA and Bluetooth. I knew it couldn't be a hardware issue when the original software worked most of the time. The software versions .180 and .184 were the problem.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:35 PM   #48
tdawg00
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
PIN: 24aa7bfa
Carrier: Tmobile

This is true.... I can confirm this!! 4.5 fixed the uma and bluetooth issues!!!!!
Old 05-25-2008, 02:29 PM   #49
ctribs

Model: 8310
Carrier: att
Default Bluetooth issues - setup

Can't get bluetooth on my MAC to recognize the Blackberry 8310 when they are both in discoverable mode. Any workarounds or comments?
Thanks,
Ron
Closed Thread