BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg
Default SQL 2000 to 2005 upgrade

Please Login to Remove!

Anyone got an idea on this?

Remote SQL 2000 install; 3 BES sharing a single configuration database

Going to do an in-place upgrade of SQL 2000 to 2005 ... every time I've done this I've done an uninstall of 2000 and fresh install of 2005 (usually including an OS rebuild) ...

The tricky thing is that I'm not doing this upgrade so I can't do any trial and error. I don't want to build an environment to test this out and the person doing the implementation does not have a test lab to try this out.

Do I uninstall / install the DBNS? Should I worry about anything except for taking a backup?

- monkey.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:18 PM   #2
celeb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

I'm actually in the process of doing this myself.

The biggest thing you need to worry about is verifying all registry settings on each BES are specified correctly. Although the database change wizard is "supposed" to change every setting, I've noticed instances where it hadn't.

That said, just take down all of your BES servers.
Kill all connections to DB and Back up DB, then copy to a directory on the new SQL 2005 server.
Configure the BESMgmt.cfg file accordingly with the SQL 2005 server specified, and run the CreateDB.exe
Take the DB created offline, import the backup of your SQL2000 database.
On one BES, verify all services are stopped and disabled, then run the BES server configuration utility, map to the new SQL DB and verify connectivity is there. When you are prompted to restart services say no and go back to the MMC snapin for services, and re-disable them (the wizard turns them back to auto) and in the event of a crash, I don't want your users to lose activations.
Browse to the following entries in the registry and verify they are correct
HKEY_CURRENT_USER xxx8211; Software xxx8211; Research in Motion xxx8211; Blackberry Enterprise Server xxx8211; Database (Confirm DatabaseName and DatabaseServerMachineName are configured with the new SQL2005 Database/Server name)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER xxx8211; Software xxx8211; Research in Motion xxx8211; Blackberry Enterprise Server xxx8211;Management xxx8211; Database (Confirm DatabaseName and DatabaseServerMachineName are configured with the new SQL2005 Database/Server name)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE xxx8211; Software xxx8211; Research in Motion xxx8211; Blackberry Enterprise Server xxx8211; Database (Confirm DatabaseName and DatabaseServerMachineName are configured with the new SQL2005 Database/Server name)

Then turn on the services and test out. By performing the upgrade this way, you can change SQL servers, database names etc.. without any issues.

Of course if you do have any issues, let me know.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to take the BES servers offline. I can take the database offline, but email needs to continue to be delivered to HHs.

We shouldn't need to use the DB Change Wizard as the server is staying the same as is the database name. The same machine is being used, same OS is being used ... only change is an in place upgrade of SQL from 2000 to 2005.

No registry changes should be needed either. Only question I guess is about DBNS.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:04 PM   #4
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

Quote:
The biggest thing you need to worry about is verifying all registry settings on each BES are specified correctly. Although the database change wizard is "supposed" to change every setting, I've noticed instances where it hadn't.
That is a rare case. Out of all the DB moves I've helped perform, and I've done a lot, this has never happened.

Quote:
That said, just take down all of your BES servers.
Not necessary

Quote:
Kill all connections to DB and Back up DB, then copy to a directory on the new SQL 2005 server.
Your above step would have killed the connections to the BESMgmt DB

Quote:
Configure the BESMgmt.cfg file accordingly with the SQL 2005 server specified, and run the CreateDB.exe
When running CreateDB.exe on the same server it is not necessary to change the BESMgmt.cfg if you're creating a blank DB called BESMgmt on that machine

Quote:
Take the DB created offline, import the backup of your SQL2000 database.
I assume you mean restore the original BESMgmt over the newly created blank BESmgmt

Quote:
On one BES, verify all services are stopped and disabled, then run the BES server configuration utility, map to the new SQL DB and verify connectivity is there. When you are prompted to restart services say no and go back to the MMC snapin for services, and re-disable them (the wizard turns them back to auto) and in the event of a crash, I don't want your users to lose activations.
Running the Change DB Wizard stops the services for you, no need to manually stop and disable them, it's a waste of time. Users shouldn't lose activations as no one will/should be activating while doing such an important task. Services will only start if:

a) You check start services by accident

or

b) You reboot the BES

Quote:
Browse to the following entries in the registry and verify they are correct
HKEY_CURRENT_USER – Software – Research in Motion – Blackberry Enterprise Server – Database (Confirm DatabaseName and DatabaseServerMachineName are configured with the new SQL2005 Database/Server name)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER – Software – Research in Motion – Blackberry Enterprise Server –Management – Database (Confirm DatabaseName and DatabaseServerMachineName are configured with the new SQL2005 Database/Server name)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE – Software – Research in Motion – Blackberry Enterprise Server – Database (Confirm DatabaseName and DatabaseServerMachineName are configured with the new SQL2005 Database/Server name)
While some of these steps are pre-cautionary they are not needed unless you get DB connection issues. In my expereince that is pretty rare.

@hdawg

Am I correct in assuming that this is not something you are doing but was asked to you?

Also, this reads like upgrading the current SQL 2000 Server to 2005, is that correct?

If so, backup the DB with the usual SQL backup methods and move the mdf and ldf files to a save location.

SQL Server 2005 uses different directory names than SQL Server 2000, but this upgrade is doable.

Just Remember, CYA - Cover Your A$$

@celeb

Didn't mean to rain on your parade, but some of these steps aren't necessary. After completing the Change DB Wizard you only have to open the BB Manager to confirm that the users are present, if so, you can communicate with the moved BESMgmt DB. No need to disable services, just don't start them right away.

Checking all those reg keys, while a safe step to ensure all is as it should be, is only needed if you can't communicate with the DB. That would be evident if you have issues opening the Manager or if nothing is present in the Manager. Good post though, thorough and thought out.

Just my .02
Old 05-06-2008, 07:29 PM   #5
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Quote:
Am I correct in assuming that this is not something you are doing but was asked to you?
Correct; a customer of ours is upgrading to SQL 2005 ... I've done plenty of these before but as I'm not doing it myself, don't have access to logs or the server I need to provide them a list of everything to do.

Quote:
Also, this reads like upgrading the current SQL 2000 Server to 2005, is that correct?
Correct.

Quote:
If so, backup the DB with the usual SQL backup methods and move the mdf and ldf files to a save location.
I'll have them back it up, but rather will leave the mdf and ldf file in place to let the upgrade handle them as it sees fit, no?

Quote:
SQL Server 2005 uses different directory names than SQL Server 2000, but this upgrade is doable.
Word. ... so the question now ... do I have them uninstall DBNS, and then install it again after the upgrade? I don't want to have them do it if it isn't needed, but I also don't want to miss it.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:08 PM   #6
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

They will leave the mdf and ldf in place but also copy them somewhere safe just incase.

As for DBNS, I've never had to mess around with it but they shouldn't need to uninstall it.

Seeing as this is an inplace upgrade of SQL Server 2005 only the DB's need to be backed up.

It should be as simple as that, note that I said should be. This is software and we all know that no software is perfect.

Judging from your posts I was surprised by this one, you're as much of a BB guru as anyone on BBF. This seemed fairly straight forward, but it's always better safe than sorry

Keep us posted on the upgrade.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:20 AM   #7
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Upgrade scheduled for May 17 ... lets hope WES doesn't suck out all of my brain power if I need to be called on for escalation.

Thanks gibson
Old 02-19-2009, 03:25 PM   #8
TruBlu01
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: STORM
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

What ever became of this? I'm ready to do the same thing, and would like some tips. Thanks
Old 02-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

do what gibson_hg said. worked fine.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:30 PM   #10
TruBlu01
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: STORM
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Backup, make copy of DB and place it somewhere else, upgrade SQL, that's it?
Closed Thread