berry much
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avelasqu View Post
How would I get apps like Google apps, BB Weather and mostly the ones you mentioned without a data plan? I have to get to the internet to get them first and I am stuck. I thought even with wifi there was no way to surf or check gmail... what am i missing here. and I do have the enabler added on.
If your WiFi browser is working (it should be) then you can visit gmail.com and use it just fine
some things like google docs, calendar, etc. mostly work, others don't
Old 04-11-2008, 03:14 PM   #222
hsuanstr

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

aim: yes
yahoo m: yes
bbmessenger: yes
browser: yes
opera mini: no
google maps: no

logicmail: havent tried i dont know how to set it up

I'm under T-Mobile and I never had a data plan, but I called to the service books for the messenger because I have unlimited texting. If someone can explain how I can set up logicmail and weather that would be great, thanks
Old 04-11-2008, 03:17 PM   #223
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

OM should work without a data plan on TMO
Old 04-18-2008, 08:25 AM   #224
ash146
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtasyX View Post
Ok, so i borrowed my friend's sim card today which has BB Data and i loaded most of these programs (i was in a rush) to get the service book or whatever was needed from BB data to run these programs. I then swapped my sim card back in which DOES NOT have BB data and have WAP disabled through Rogers and these are my new results:

BBMaps: No (Rim Feature)
BBMessenger: No (RIM Feature)
Facebook: No (RIM Feature)
GMail: No (Didn't try, forgot to)
*Windows Live Messenger: No (Apparently my device doesn't support this...)
*AOL: No (Apparently my device doesn't support this...)
*Gtalk: No (Apparently my device doesn't support this...)
*Yahoo: No (Apparently my device doesn't support this...)

JiveTalk: Really wierd, didn't work with and without data...i get some tunnel error. I think it's the settings or something, will play around with it next time i get to borrow the sim again.

Canadian Business: Yes (Just added and still works)
Yahoo! Go: Yes (Just added and still works)
Opera Mini 4.0: Yes
BBWeather: Yes
Google Maps: Yes (has some pin-point thing which acts like GPS - really cool)
LogicMail: Yes
BBBrowser: Yes
BBToday: Yes

*For some reason, i went to http://www.blackberry.com/livemessenger to get the service books and it said my BB doesn't support this application, even though it came with the phone... have no idea why this happened.

I also downloaded Circle Popper, Sudoku, Lingo, Ka-Glom!, Handmark Blackjack, Outbreak Control off http://mobile.blackberry.com > Free Games and they all work without data.

Any programs you guys would like me to try?
jivetalk - i first got that error but i did get it work! i never got any service books pushed and dont have an BB data. the error i got is invalid tunnel name. I just made sure of these settings:

enabled Message encryption Mobile Network Transport
TCP
Wifi Preferred

it works.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:26 AM   #225
mrcolj

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

So can we say, bottom line, that no matter your carrier you shouldn't mess with wifi without a data plan unless you're really really (2x) techie and enjoy an extremely high-risk high-maintenance experience? Because I'm just really (1x) techie and all this ambiguity and jargon is scaring me away, and making me feel extremely betrayed by AT&T (so what else is new?)

Maybe I'll just go one more round of "internet is impossible on a phone" for another year or two. Sad, I'm so jealous of my financially irresponsible finance-industry friends and their financially irresponsible twitters and ringtones and last.fms and loopts...
Old 05-15-2008, 12:19 AM   #226
HyeHustle

Default Very Frustrating

I can't seem to get Google Maps and Opera Mini to work. I only have the $9.99 unlimited email plan with T-Mobile. I tried changing the APN to wap.voicestream.com, but no help. I have uppercase UMA and EDGE, but can't get those apps to work. I can fully browse the internet, but I can't access mobile.blackberry.com for some reason. When I try to access mobile.blackberry.com, I can see the browser switches to EDGE and doesn't work. When I bypass the EDGE and try going through wifi, the site doesn't detect my connections as from a mobile device, so it's like accessing through a desktop.

I do this all over wifi, but the wifi always has a yellow circle with a bar instead of a green circle with a checkmark. However, I still have full web browsing capability. I have never got the UMA on the home screen either. (I don't have an H@H plan, but I don't think I need one for wifi to work do I?

I've even tried playing with the internet browser v. wifi browser settings, changed the preferred network between mobile preferred and wifi preferred.

Basically, I want to be able to access mobile.blackberry.com and get Google Maps to work, as well as, Opera Mini and other third party apps that use the internet. Without the full data plan, they won't work. RIM told me that is has something to do with the fact that the service books won't send over wifi, only the full data plan. Even if you get the unlimited EDGE data plan and get the service books, then cancel, they said that these third party apps continually update the service books so if I cancel, they will stop working.

Also, Windows Live messenger worked for a few hours the first day I got the phone, this Monday that passed, but now that stopped too. Even games like backgammon and chess won't connect to the internet over wifi. There must be some way around this since Live Messenger worked at first and now it stopped.

I have BBMessenger and a couple email addresses set up that are all working.

Any help from anybody out there? It would be greatly appreciated...

Oh, and I can't get MidpSSH to work. The only reason I tried to install it was to play with that line to add for the APN of apps that allow you to do so

Last edited by HyeHustle; 05-15-2008 at 12:23 AM..
Old 05-15-2008, 12:24 AM   #227
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles

The "email only" plan is email only. Apps that access the internet won't work. I don't think Google and Opera Mini work directly through wifi. You might check the latest Opera Mini 4.1, though, as it may now do this.

BBMessenger works as part of the "feature enabler." The rest of the apps, likely aren't going to work. You need to pay the other $10 to get those apps working.

You should be able to use the Browser if you go to Options >Advanced Options >Browser and set the default browser to "Wifi Browser."
Old 05-15-2008, 01:21 AM   #228
HyeHustle

edit

Last edited by HyeHustle; 05-15-2008 at 01:22 AM..
Old 05-15-2008, 01:21 AM   #229
HyeHustle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
The "email only" plan is email only. Apps that access the internet won't work. I don't think Google and Opera Mini work directly through wifi. You might check the latest Opera Mini 4.1, though, as it may now do this.

BBMessenger works as part of the "feature enabler." The rest of the apps, likely aren't going to work. You need to pay the other $10 to get those apps working.

You should be able to use the Browser if you go to Options >Advanced Options >Browser and set the default browser to "Wifi Browser."
I can use the browser to browse the web. Some sites don't work though, like mobile.blackberry.com. Also, shouldn't BBMaps and Live Messenger work, because they don't?

Last edited by HyeHustle; 05-15-2008 at 01:24 AM..
Old 05-15-2008, 01:25 PM   #230
ponchorage

Model: Curve

Has anybody had any luck recently with getting the Blackberry Enabler Feature Add-on added to their account? If so, were you then able to use the Google Apps (gmail, calendar, etc) over wi-fi (with no data plan)?
Old 05-27-2008, 10:22 PM   #231
darcy787@gmail.com

Model: 8700g

I am in the same situation as mentioned above - owning a BB without a data plan. Does anyone know of any 3rd party apps that would allow me to sync my Outlook email from a laptop? I am at home all the time now, so I don't need to pay for a data plan, I just think it would be nice to sync email along with the other Outlook data.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:02 PM   #232
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles

There is no way to "sync" email (oem or 3rd party.) It is only pushed via a data plan. No data plan--no email.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:31 PM   #233
adamjamess

Carrier: T-MOBILE
Default still no answer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeHustle View Post
I can use the browser to browse the web. Some sites don't work though, like mobile.blackberry.com. Also, shouldn't BBMaps and Live Messenger work, because they don't?
still no answer to why he cant access mobile.blackberry.com. i am having that same problem. i want the free apps they have to offer there. i just not 10 mins ago signed up for the BIS plan to get the service books.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:30 AM   #234
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900

You only get the content of mobile.blackberry.com if you have a
Data Plan.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:49 PM   #235
johnson4

Carrier: rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtasyX View Post
Ok, so i borrowed my friend's sim card today which has BB Data and i loaded most of these programs (i was in a rush) to get the service book or whatever was needed from BB data to run these programs. I then swapped my sim card back in which DOES NOT have BB data and have WAP disabled through Rogers and these are my new results:

BBMaps: No (Rim Feature)
BBMessenger: No (RIM Feature)
Facebook: No (RIM Feature)
GMail: No (Didn't try, forgot to)
*Windows Live Messenger: No (Apparently my device doesn't support this...)
*AOL: No (Apparently my device doesn't support this...)
*Gtalk: No (Apparently my device doesn't support this...)
*Yahoo: No (Apparently my device doesn't support this...)

JiveTalk: Really wierd, didn't work with and without data...i get some tunnel error. I think it's the settings or something, will play around with it next time i get to borrow the sim again.

Canadian Business: Yes (Just added and still works)
Yahoo! Go: Yes (Just added and still works)
Opera Mini 4.0: Yes
BBWeather: Yes
Google Maps: Yes (has some pin-point thing which acts like GPS - really cool)
LogicMail: Yes
BBBrowser: Yes
BBToday: Yes

*For some reason, i went to http://www.blackberry.com/livemessenger to get the service books and it said my BB doesn't support this application, even though it came with the phone... have no idea why this happened.

I also downloaded Circle Popper, Sudoku, Lingo, Ka-Glom!, Handmark Blackjack, Outbreak Control off http://mobile.blackberry.com > Free Games and they all work without data.

Any programs you guys would like me to try?
Im looking at getting a curve for rogers as well, have you tried skype at all ?
or any other VOIP software?
Old 07-13-2008, 10:44 PM   #236
curlin31

Model: 8900

Wirelessly posted

Hey xstasy, do those 3rd party apps still work via the wifi connection without a data plan? Thanks
Old 07-15-2008, 02:00 PM   #237
champcar

Wirelessly posted (pearl)

Opera works fine without the feature enabler using just wifi.

You get what you pay for. If you don't buy a data plan then don't expect much. Why spend that money on a smart phone and not buy any data.

It most likely is because of how the programs are written. Most of the programs are probably written to get its data from the cell signal and not the wifi radio. Even in UMA it still has to go through T-Mobile servers and use it's data and not the free wifi hotspot data.

Last edited by champcar; 07-16-2008 at 07:06 AM..
Old 07-20-2008, 07:38 AM   #238
maccamb

Default Latest results from my testing

that the only well known apps that work on wifi without a data plan are:

1. LogicMail
2. Opera Mini
3. NewsGator Go for Mobile
Old 07-23-2008, 03:20 AM   #239
Tailor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2 UK

It's not made obvious in the thread that you can have all features working over WiFi using the free Blackberry Professional Server. You obviously need a mail server if you want push email though.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:38 AM   #240
maccamb

BB Professional Server FREE? Are you sure? Where do you get it?
Closed Thread